Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Jz_Doll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
soothers???

hello all,
My little girl is now 3 weeks old, and I am confidant we are doing great with breastfeeding. (had some gas issues last night, but we both survived)
Anyway, she seems to have a huge desire to suck for comfort's sake, even when I know she is full. I have read the recommendations that we shouldn't give her a soother for 6 weeks, is that carved in stone or will I be causing trouble by buying her a soother tomorrow?
Any recommendations on brands best for newborns?

thanks
Rose

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: soothers???

are you talking a pacifier? In our situation I was the human pacifier. LOL. Ive had friends who've used them before 6 weeks and had no problems, and I ve also had friends use them and the babies seem to get confused. I think it all depends on the baby. Best of luck to you!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi!
We gave our daughter a soother at one week old when I was in tears. She had eaten and thrown it all up and then repeated it and still wanted to suck. My husband had been calming her for a few days using his little finger and that worked like a charm.

I was trying to delay it because I'd heard a lot of negatives, but it really depends on the baby. I've heard the 6 week number, but then heard people say 2 to 4 weeks if the baby is breastfeeding well. Our little one did fairly well, though she never opened her mouth wide enough. The soother didn't seem to change anything in that regard. As they don't get anything (food) from the soother, there is supposedly less problems with introducing a soother than a bottle (which is easier to eat from than the breast).

I'd say do what you need to do and don't worry A friend gave her little one a soother early on and got scared by a lot of people and took it away. Since reintroducing it around 6 weeks, he has never taken it again! Only thing that works for him is nursing (good or bad depending on your view point )

We use Avent soothers. She likes them, haven't really tried many. My sister had some from the rep at the hospital that they use and she didn't mind that at first but after awhile would only use the Avent ones. One nice thing about those ones is that they have a cap so you can put it in your bag and not worry about it getting dirty. And some have a glow-in-the-dark handle. Thought it was weird until I went looking for the soother one night
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfairemama View Post
are you talking a pacifier?

Maybe soother is a Canadian word???
Old 08-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
d&xmommy
Registered Users
seller

I have given both my kids a pacifier before they were one week old. Neither has had nipple confusion issues. My son more so than my daughter wanted to suck all the time, I would have never been able to sleep.

So I say go for it if you want to. I use a Playtex Binkey the nipple is not flat on one side it is big and round like a nipple, so that to suck it they have to cup their tongue just like when nursing.

I use either of these two they are the same nipple just the outer part is different.

http://www.diapers.com/Shop/ProductD...134&From=Brand

http://www.diapers.com/Shop/ProductD...119&From=Brand
Old 08-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
alidb36
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would agree that it should be ok to use a pacifier...like the pp said-it isn't related to food and they really just calm down sucking! I'd say go for it if it's gonna help you!
alidb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
Jz_Doll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

must be Canadian for pacifier, I didn't know any other word until I heard a Newfoundlander call it a dumtit
Thank you for the quick replies mamas

Rose
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
tlaquepaque
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you can try it. You never know how your child will react until you try. I gave a binky too soon to my DD and it changed her suck and I had to take it away for awhile. I started giving her the Playtex Binky kind a month later and she has been nursing great with no issues. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Jz_Doll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

met with our pediatrician today for our 3 week visit. (he was VERY excited about our AIO diapers) his view is that sucking on a soother will give the brain eating signals and possibly cause her to sleep through a time when she should be waking up to eat. Much like the dieting trick of taking smaller bites and chewing food more completely. He'd like us to hold off a bit.

Rose
Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz_Doll View Post
met with our pediatrician today for our 3 week visit. (he was VERY excited about our AIO diapers) his view is that sucking on a soother will give the brain eating signals and possibly cause her to sleep through a time when she should be waking up to eat. Much like the dieting trick of taking smaller bites and chewing food more completely. He'd like us to hold off a bit.

Rose
That is very interesting. Hadn't heard that before. I know most of the arguments against soothers is that the suck is different from breastfeeding.

Is your little one gaining well? I know we were told to wake our little one to feed at least every three hours for the first few days and when it was clear she was gaining really well to let her go longer at night if she wanted.

If you wind up wanting to try a soother and are concerned about this, you can always keep an eye on the time and make sure to feed her