Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stripping/Sweeping membranes?

When they strip or sweep the membranes you need to be at least 2 or 3 cm dilated , they stick a couple of fingers in your cervix and sweep their fingers from side to side to separate your bag of waters from your cervix . The reason I won't try it till after 40 weeks though is it has been know to actually break a womans bag of waters .

Advertisement

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsymama View Post
When they strip or sweep the membranes you need to be at least 2 or 3 cm dilated , they stick a couple of fingers in your cervix and sweep their fingers from side to side to separate your bag of waters from your cervix . The reason I won't try it till after 40 weeks though is it has been know to actually break a womans bag of waters .
ooh really? I have never heard of that happening
Old 08-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #13
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
You do not have to be 2-3 dilated....I know for sure i was not. I was only a fingertip. I did have spotting. I had it done 3 times with my DS and 2 with my DD. My water never broke, in fact it never broke until my babes were crowning.

And i did not feel a thing. Maybe because i had previous pregnancies, but all i felt was a pinch and it was over in 5 seconds.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #14
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
You do not have to be 2-3 dilated....I know for sure i was not. I was only a fingertip. I did have spotting. I had it done 3 times with my DS and 2 with my DD. My water never broke, in fact it never broke until my babes were crowning.

And i did not feel a thing. Maybe because i had previous pregnancies, but all i felt was a pinch and it was over in 5 seconds.
Doh ! I didn't mean have to be , just that most say it hurt less or didn't hurt whe they were more dilated ( sorry must have simplified it due to my lil monster here ) so it should have been helps to be . But ya it can be done if you are less then that , and on the waters breaking it is not common but I have met ( online ) a handful of mommas who had it happen to them as well as read it can happen , but that it's not common .

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #15
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I totally get what you said mama....i understand.

I WISH my water had broke when he did it...lol
Would have meant much less suffering.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #16
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

From what i have read, it's not usually necessary...your body will go into labor when the baby is ready. Sticking fingers up there when dialated can increase your chance of infection. Of course i am only 24 weeks so...i haven't reached that antsy stage yet!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #17
GraemesMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

sending for a successful VBAC, mama.

I also would not put much stock in weight guesses -- I mean, not to be degrading to your doctor or anything, but they just induced my sister-in-law because her baby was going to be "over 9 lbs" and she was a few days late, and the baby ended up being a healthy 8lb 6oz. 20" little thing. It's pretty common for them to be quite off with the weight of the baby! I guess I'm just saying, don't get panicked
Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #18
Kelly loves Rich
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had my membranes stripped on a tuesday at 37 weeks with DS and I my water broke on Sunday. He was 7 lbs 12 oz on delivery so I think he was ready...I know I was.
Kelly loves Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #19
mumof3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it done with my first and 39 weeks and went into labor that night. It really didnt hurt i didnt think and i have also heard it doesnt work for everone. I didnt have it done wiht the other two i was induced with them. If i have a chance i will ask for them to do it this time for sure. I am giong to try and stay away from being induced this time. my water nevre did brake on its own all three times they broke itfor me.

Last edited by mumof3; 08-16-2007 at 08:28 AM.
mumof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:12 AM   #20
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
That is what happen to me after reading what I had put last time it probably didn't sound like it. On my 39 week appt they were stripped again and water broke that afternoon. Again, wasn't having contractions so I went ahead and took the pitosin.
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote