Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #21
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stripping/Sweeping membranes?

They did it with my first. It was about my 39 week appointment. Went into labor that night.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #22
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

My OB did it with #2 because I had GD and she wanted me to go as normal as possible... my induction was 5 days later and ended up going in for my induction in labor... whether the stripping did it or not...who knows. I wouldn't recommend it if you do not have an issue...it is pointless.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #23
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had it done! Sometimes it has worked sometimes it has not! With my youngest I was 6-7 cm dilated 1 in the afternoon and still not in real labor (dh checked me the night before we went to bed and that's where I was) so we went home the midwife arrived, checked me, stripped the membranes and I went into labor within a few minutes. My cervix was still 7 next time we checked in an hour but totally effaced (only 25% earlier) and a little later we had our baby! If you are ready it can speed things up, if your not ready don't worry you won't have a premie baby.

On stripping the membranes and the water breaking make sure the person stripping the membranes knows what they are doing.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #24
writeinthelight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it done with DS 2 at my 39 week appt. Dr. was pressuring me to induce because DS1 had been 10 lbs. He swept my membranes--didn't hurt any more than a regular pelvic exam--and I went into labor that night. I could tell immediately after the appt. that my uterus was irritated--I was crampy the rest of the day until regular contractions set in. I guess my body was just ready enough! I would definitely do it again--DS 2 was 10 lbs, too!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #25
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

i had it done at 39 weeks. i was already in early labor and only 1 cm. it hurt like @@@@ actually made me cry! that was the only thing the whole 20 someodd hours of labor (with pitocin) that made me cry! afterwards i had light cramping with my contractions, spotting then later that afternoon i passed some bloody mucous. i can't say if it made things progress any quicker or not since it still took so long to have DD. we went to the hospital during that night then the next night had DD via vaginal delivery.
sandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #26
beachmamatoboys
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had it done with my second son, but my midwife would not do it until 40 weeks. It still didn't work- LOL! He was a week late.

I agree with Amanda though. Weight guesses can really be off in late pregnancy, so don't panic about a big baby!

Best of luck with your VBAC!!!! I attempted a VBAC with my second and even though I was unsuccessful, it was the best thing I have ever done. I am hoping everything goes great for you!
beachmamatoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #27
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

why so early Sarah? i know you want lil Abby here and by VBAC but she will come when she's ready. i have no doubt that you can have the vaginal birth you want!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #28
Mama2Trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Land of Volcanoes, Vampires, Werewolves, Sasquatch....

I had it done, but not til I was 39.5 weeks along. I don't remember it hurting--maybe a bit uncomfortable. Anyway, it didn't do anything for me. But I did go into labor a few days later (the day after due date).
Old 08-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #29
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

I had mine stripped at 40w 2d and went into labor and had DS the following day!

Wanted to add it didnt hurt when it was done ( it felt like getting your cervix checked ) but I cramped for a few hours after having it done

Last edited by my2babyboys; 08-16-2007 at 05:46 PM.
my2babyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #30
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went into labor at 29 weeks, was hospitalized and put on bedrest and 2 different meds. The Dr expected me to deliver early, but at almost 39 weeks I went in for my appt and he asked if I was ready to finally get this baby here! He stripped the membranes and told me he would see me later on that night! It didn't hurt a bit, a little uncomfortable, but no pain. I had been having contractions for 3 or 4 days before this, but they always stopped. Being my first baby, I didn't know what they were supposed to feel like, so I went into the ER when the "cramps'' were regular. I ended up being induced and having my water broke, but my ds's head was turned crooked so that was keeping me from going into the real labor. He was born about 12 hours after my appt So i think it did help, at least a little!