Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #21
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Post you POSITIVE c-section stories please

mama...
My first daughter (Emily) was also breech. At 36.5 weeks they wanted to try and turn her manually through my belly. I was going to go ahead and do it, but had the feeling I shouldn't. We had everything ready at that appt....I was in the US room, they determined Emily was still indeed breech, and even put the goo on my belly to start. Emily kicked me the hardest I had EVER been kicked by her before they even put their hands on my belly! It scared me a bit b/c of the funny feeling I had a/b the whole thing. I didn't mind a c-section, but wanted to "try" birthing, KWIM? I stopped them and told them to just schedule the c-section. I was fine with it and that I didn't feel right a/b turning her. So fast forward the 37w 3d.....I was at my scheduled c-section!!! I was scared outta my mind!I freaked out when they put the catheter in...LOL...if you've never had one...take my advise just relax and don't worry a/b feeling like you're gonna pee on yourself! To make things worse they had to delay my c-section from 7AM to 10AM... So I laid "prepped" in triage for three hours! (Another mama with an emergency c-section had to go in.) I got into the ER, DH was still in triage getting his cool new threads on, I was given the spinal bloke....didn't hurt, just the prick of the first numbing shot did a bit. Felt like a wasp sting then it went numb. The coolest feeling is when my lower half was going numb!!! I felt like I was floating in a warm pool of water!!! Very relaxing! Little did I know that they were scrubbing my lower "section" with iodine. I had my IV, blood pressure cuff, oxygen tubes, and my hubby's hand when the surgery started.
The only thing that really scared me is when the lady was putting all her weight on my upper belly and chest. (they didn't warn me...so I said "OMG what happened"..LOL..then they tell me they are just pushing the baby toward the incision. So right after that I heard the sweetest gurgley cry and the Dr held her above the curtain for us to see. Such a sweet memory! I watched to the side as they cleaned her up and wrapped her in her blanket for my DH to hold! He then laid her on my chest and I snuggled for a few minutes. Then Jamie (DH) went to the nursery to show her off and to do all the things they do in the nursery. I had to wait in recovery for an hour or at least until the numbness in my lower half went away. I had to be able to move my legs, to go to my room. I was within 45 min.

Ok...sorry for the minibook...ACK

With DD #2 (Maddy) It was like the previous, except she was early. I had went into labor 3 days before her birth and they "stopped" it. I then went back into labor the next night and stayed in labor, even after they tried to stop it 3 times! She was born via c-section at 35 weeks....She done great though and in 7 Looooong hours was ab;e to room with me. She nursed like a champ when they said she would probably need a tube! (That's my girl!!!!)

After each I done the usual no-no's of vacuuming, doing laundry, and washing dishes after 3 or 4 days post partum. No ill effects and I felt fine so I done what I thought I could. I pretty well recovered in a/b a week. Not fully, but to where I felt like my old self.

Things I recommend after surgery though:

1. This sounds funny but TRUST me....my hossy's didn't give it unless you ask....ASK FOR GAS MEDS!!!!! OMG...that hurt Waaaaaaaay worse than the whole surgery thing!!!! I even had to ask for pain meds after Maddy's was born! Didn't know that until the second day! (BTW...I had 2 IV's one in each hand, oxygen, BP cuff, and the first day she had an oxygen tube, IV in her arm.....so it was HORRIBLE trying to hold her and nurse her!) I asked for my IVs and mess to be taken off and her's too ASAP! So my "pain-pump" as they call it had been taken away a few hours after surgery.

2. Don't focus on how your baby got here (the "birth") but that your baby is in your arms and safe!

3. Try to rest as much as possible, don't feel bad if you need to send the baby to the nursery for an hour or so to get some much needed sleep!

4. If you plan to nurse you baby, you milk will come in at the same time it would if you had a vaginal birth

5. When at home, TAKE YOU PAIN MEDS ON TIME!!! It saves emotional havoc and physical!!! I wanted to be super woman and make it w/o meds at home... that was a HUGE mistake!!!

6. Try to take it easy, I realize how stupid it was doing the house work and looking after a new baby and my toddler, but try to have someone else do those things for you and focus on recovery! My hubby started a renovation on his grandmother's house the day after I came home from the hossy. This was a spur of thee monent..."hey I have a week off, let's renovate now" thing...and I totally hold that against him and it ticks me off to no extent that he was a brain-fart moment at the same time I was recovering from major surgery. He knows better now!!!!! (sorry for little vent there..LOL)

Well mama, I think this post is a wee bit long here..LOL...I hope every thing goes well for you. Don't focus on HOW your baby gets here.....that just leads to feelings of failure when things don't go as planned!!!!

Advertisement

babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
adrocksmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only thing I have to add is make sure you get stitches and not staples. I had both amd stitches were far better
adrocksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #23
averysmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrocksmommy View Post
The only thing I have to add is make sure you get stitches and not staples. I had both amd stitches were far better
I would agree. With my section I had staples and by the time it was time for them to come out they had made a happy home in my skin. OUCH!!! is all I can say when they took them out. As far as a c-section goes. I had a pretty good experience. My dd was breech turning her didn't work. Come to find out the cord was wrapped around her and she couldn't turn. I had some emotional issues about having a c-section. When I saw the baby those feelings melted away. I had her and was holding and nursing her within about 45min. My recovery was so smooth. I was soo scared about the recovery time and I never even took pain meds. (more than advil).
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysmom View Post
I would agree. With my section I had staples and by the time it was time for them to come out they had made a happy home in my skin. OUCH!!! is all I can say when they took them out. As far as a c-section goes. I had a pretty good experience. My dd was breech turning her didn't work. Come to find out the cord was wrapped around her and she couldn't turn. I had some emotional issues about having a c-section. When I saw the baby those feelings melted away. I had her and was holding and nursing her within about 45min. My recovery was so smooth. I was soo scared about the recovery time and I never even took pain meds. (more than advil).
Forgot to add a/b my first DD...the reason I felt uneasy a/b them turning her is that her cord was wrapped several times around her neck and had a hard time getting her out b/c when they pulled her it tightened down. Had they tried to turn her, she would have strangled and possibly not have been here.
I had staples but they didn't hurt any..they were removed within 3 days after surgery. I was pretty numb in my incision area so I never really felt anything.
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:04 PM   #25
divapoppins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrocksmommy View Post
i'll be having stitches this time but my glue i had for #4 and #5 was AWESOME !! I wish this dr would do that procedure too !!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #26
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

im going to make 2 posts as i have had 2 c-sects and they have been VERY different.

Feb 27th 2005 i had contractions and my BF (now DH) and i went out for the evening and i felt at one point like i was going to pass out. I then went home and laid down. At 2am i felt the urge to go to the bathroom, went and nothing weird. laid back down and woke up to blood everywhere- i am not joking, everywhere. I crawled to the bathroom and freaked! i crawled to my moms room and woke her up and told her we needed to go and now. She of course had what was happening to me happen so she wasnt freakin out. We went to hospital and got admitted. Sure enough i was in labor and having a Placenta Abruption. babys HB was normal and i dialated to 8cm with no problems. Got epidural laying down at 5cm and all was fine. then suddenly around 11am feb 28th 2005 the babys HB began to drop and they said emergency c-sect was needed. i freaked! my mom was so wonderful though and was right there. I got all prepped and wheeled ina nd i was scared and crying and i kept asking "wheres my mom"? and she was finally in there with me. They opend me up and i didnt feel anything. they pulled little Nathaniel Owen lee out at 12:04pm Feb 28th 2005 6lb 3 oz with no problems at 36w6d. Then the fun began. They began to sew me up and i felt them sewing me up. I said " i can feel that" and they asked what can you feel, i said " like a needle" and they gave me more pain meds and i was out of it. I mean i was awake but loopy. Went in recovery and all was well. We stayed 5 days and all went great.

next post.

Jen
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #27
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

next c-sect....

May 21 2006 i went in L&D because i thought my water broke but it didnt. I wasnt dialating much and it took forever. May 22,2006 they broke my water and since i had a previous c-sect they wouldnt induce me so i laid there and finally got an epi at 5cm and my labor stopped. I stopped at 5cm and that was it. A c-sect was what they said i needed. Non emergency though. Babys HB and everything was well. Got all prepped up and My mom went back with me, DH was chicken.. LOL. So they opend me up and Candice Elena was born at 8:40 or 8:20Pm ( i can never remember) 5lb 8oz at 36w2d and was not breathing well. They gave me morphine so i was pretty out of it. They sewed me up and then put staples in. Then we went to recovery. My dd was not breathing well and they had to take her to the NICU. There she stayed for 2w and i stayed in hospital 5 days. on the 3-4th day they came to take out my staples and i never had staples so i wasnt sure what to expect. Yeah i will never get staples again! she went to pull them out and reopend my c-sect scar. Not like bleeding everywhere kind of open, but just the top layer bleeding a little bit, able to fix with band aide kind. So in the end everything went fine and come to find out i am allergic to morphine, prolly why i was so loopy. LOL.

I will not have a c-sect this time, well i hope. im going for a VBAC, BUT dont be scared momma, everyone has a different experience and just go in knowing everything will be ok.

jen
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #28
lotsoluv
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have had 2 c-sections. The first was unplanned and went well. The second was with twins and was planned. That one went even better. The most important thing is to move, safely of course, as soon as you are given the okay. With the first I took pain meds for quite a while, with the second I didn't take them as long and moved on to Motrin and I was up and about quicker with the second. It's frightening to think of but really not bad at all.

Best of Luck to you!!!!!

Last edited by lotsoluv; 08-16-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo
lotsoluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #29
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had two c-sections. First one was after three days at attempting an induction. It went well but because of me doing too much my incision became infected, no biggie, got a prescription and all was good. Second time around I scheduled it, baby was estimated at about 9lbs and because of my first section I was eligible for a second. It went great! Baby was actually 10lbs 4oz and I'm happy with my decision. The last two months of pregnancy with my second was awful, I was in all kinds of pain, two colds, major nerve issues in my back. So needless to say I felt better the day after my c-section than I did pregnant. This time around I was really careful not to over do it and I had hardly any pain at all at home. I don't think I even took the tylenol 3 I had prescribed. If I was having a third child I would do it all over again. Good luck! Try to worry as little as possible and listen to what the nurses tell you for after care, it will all be great in the end
EmsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #30
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i had dd via c/s and to be honest it was the best experience for birth, i was able to experience BOTh a vaginal unmedicated birth along with a scheduled c/s and the recovery was so much easier with my c/s, not to mention i got pre-e with my son while trying to deliver him, that whole thing was scary and we both almost didn't make it that day
so when i got pg with dd 18 months later, i already knew future babies would be delivered via c/s and iw as fine with it because had i been told i would have to do anothervaginal delivery, ds wouldve been an only child.
OK so onto my c/s with dd~
it was scheduled at 30 weeks along, i got to choose the day, the morning fo the c/s, i had to be at the birthing center at 6am, they drew my blood and i had to fill out a few more sheets of paperwork and everything was matched to make sure i was the right patient.
i was then in the pre-op room waiting to be called, i got my Iv in my arm, there was one mama ahead of me so after about an hour, the enes came in to talk to me as i was scared out of my mind about the spinal block, i chose no pain meds with ds because i was very afraid of a needle going into my back, well the Anes was really great and had the most soothing voice~ he brought in a model spine and explained to me how this works. i was still nervous but felt a little better. i waited until about 8:45 and the OR nurse came to get me, i walked over to the OR but contrax started up so i had to stop walking to hold myself up, she wasn't too nice and told me we have to go now as she yanked my IV pole with her, i was sure the iv was going to come out of my arm because i wasn't moving, my body was hurting, i told her she needed to wait, she didn't listen and kept walking so i started walking slowly following her.
after entering the OR room, they sat me on this table whcih was pretty comfy, they told me dh would be in soon, the 2 dr's were there and the anes was there, and he started tlaking to me, the nurse told me to cross my legs and lean foward, she pulled me foward to help, it didn't hurt and the anes told me i will feel a pinch as he was going to inject a numbing shot before the actual spinal block, i was terrified again, to my surprise, i didn't feel any sting, i felt him pressing on my spine, it felt like and i thought he was looking for a spot to inject me, turns out he already was inserting the tube into my back, immediately i was pulled back and the table went kinda upside down, like my head was below my feet, the numbing felt really warm but i was numb almost instantly. they then put the catheter in.
the dr's put up a drape and i layed there, the anes stayed at my side, and rubbed my head & hair and kept talking to me, it was sweet, i was scared and shaking the table/instruments and the dr';s looked over the drape and asked if i was ok..lol
the nurse now brought dh into the room and sat him next to me, so, the dh wa son my right side and the anes was on my left side, dhw as really quiet and sat there looking at me, the anes kept rubbing my had and hair and tlaking to me really calmy, they started my c/s at 8:59am and dd was born 3 minutes later at 9:02am. it went really fast!
they showed me the baby and then walked over with her to clean her up and then called dh to go with them and he got to bring her to me to kiss her little chubby face and then off they went, dh,dd and the nurse. i waited for the dr's to stitch,staple and glue me back..lol
i was then wheeled to the recovery room and told i would be numb for about 2 hours, well the c/s itself from start to finish was only 15 minutes long, it was short and sweet!
i went into the recovery room and fell to sleep, the anes gave me morphine as soon as dd's cord was cut from me and it made me really tired. i slept for over an hour, woke up and the nurse was monitering my BP which was a little high, she had me do breathing excersizes to try and bring it down, after 2 hours passed from when i started my c/s the nurse asked if i was ready to go to my room and see my new baby, she said dh was with her and they were waiting for me. i said yes and they took me to my room i was going to stay in while i was there. the rooms are private and soooo nice, i really love this birthing center. as soon as i got in the room, i got to see ds and my dad were there because we needed someone to watch him while i had my c/s, it was really nice.
i didn't put dd down at all, she was perfect!
i had the IV pole hooked to my morphine and was able to get meds every 15 minutes although i didn't know until after when i asked the nurse for some pain meds..lol the morphione was taken away after 24 hours, it made my face really itchy and i didn't say anythign til the next morning, i thought it was just me until i asked a nurse about the itchyness and she told me its normal and some people just react to the morphine this way but it's fine, after the morphine was taken from me iw as given tylenol 3 pills which is what iw as sent home with. i took pain meds for the first 3-4days after the birth and then stopped taking them because i didn't feel i needed them at all, i was feeling just fine
the numbness finally wore off 6 hours after the spinal was given to me, i was getting nervous, they told me 2 hours and it wasn't happening..lol
i had the cath in me for the first 24 hours, i felt pretty good andasked the nurse how soon can i get up and out fo bed, she said as soon as i felt up to it so i tried and was able to slowly sit up, then after another try i was standing, i wanted to walk and kept trying and was able to take some steps in my room slowly but w/o pain, so i felt confident to keep trying.
i was soo thirsty, they didn't allow me to have anything to eat or drink after midnight the day before, and i finally got a nurse to give me icechips, which i THOUGHT i could melt them and drink it..LOL
BAD idea, my intenstines were still numb and it caused me to puke..so don't try and drink before they tell you it's ok
the walking went good and i kept getting up to take steps and was able to walk from my bed to the bathroom and to the tv and i felt good.
you might, i hear not everyone get these pains but i wasn't prepared as no one told me so i do tell others, i got really sharp and painful pains in my upper chest to my shoulders! it hurt to breathe, the dr told me it is from when they open you up, air gets trapped inside the body, but not to worry the body will get "rid' of it yyeah, thats nto easy and i had those sharp pains for the first few days of the birth but i was okayed to take mylanta gas chewable pills, which i recommend and will be taking with me this time too. they also give you this blue thing with a tube you will need to suck in and make a ball inside of it go all the way up, this helps your lungs and prevents youfrom getting pnemonea.
lets see, the next morning, i was walking better and was up and down the hall, pushing the bassinet, dh was coming at 6am and stayed with us til 8pm, he needed to go home with ds and take care of him but it was ok,and i slept the days i was there with the tv on constantly, i didnt like quiet..lol
me, dh, ds and the baby all walked the hall back and forth a few times throughout the day and i believe this is why i healed so fast and smoothly. the dr came in to remove my staples, i was scared it was going to hurt but it didn't at all, i had 18 staples, and theyre like mini staples, i did look at my c/s scar before he got there, there was a full sized mirror in the bathroom and it looked funny, kinda like a smiley face with braces..LOL
so the dr removed them the next morning in about 5 minutes and then put like glue and a white peice of tape over the opening, this stayed on me until it came off on its own a week later.
the sticky stuff/glue they put on you though, that stuff was hard to come off and when it rubs on your clothes it gets dirty looking and is funny looking as it looks like your skin is dirty..haha
i went into the dr to have it checked out 2 weeks after my c/s was done and everything was perfect, the nurse seen the sticky stuff and laughed and told me, alcohol pads removes it watch and she started rubbiing it off, i felt like a dork..LOL
the rubbing felt sooo weird as my belly was tender, so she took some off and sent me home with some alcohol pads which i removed the rest of the sticky stuff off myself at home. the walking got easier, it felt weird getting out of bed, and when standing and you turn right or left you can feel pulling, it is thread or string they use on your inside while closing you up. under my staples i had gotten were disolving stitches which is the thread you may feel inside your belly after the birth too. i was at wlamart shopping and wlakaing fine 2 weeks after my c/s with dd, although i did get tired out faster and then by the lightbulbs i started getting weird pain in my stomach so i sat on the bottom shelf
for a few minutes then we finshed up and went to pay and went home, my c/s was a really good experience, it is pretty fresh in my mind, when i got pg this time i knew i wuld go back to thesame birthing center, we moved further north and the BC is now an hour away but i chose to go back because i know how they work and what to expect as far as the surgery and recovery and good treatment with all the privacy, it was perfect! some mamas don't have good experiences, some end up with emergency c/s, but just like vaginal births, everyone has their own experience on how things go and end up.
my c/s scar was only about 4" wide when it was cut and now that it's healed its only abour 2- 2 1/2 inches long. i am looking foward to my birth with nathan, i know things can be different this time but i stay positive and just pray everything goes smoothly and my experience is great again. goodluck mama and don't be afraid, you know what else i did before my c/s i just remembered, i had a full sized school notebook, like for school and i wrote 2 pages of questions for my dr, i left space under each question to i could write down his answers, all this helped my experience be a perfect one my dr was very nice and sat there, answered all my questions and gave me time to write down his answers, all this helped me feel more comfortable. you might want to ask lots of questions to help youfeel better, i am not sure where i have that notepad/book at but if i happent o find it i will share my questions i asked with you here, i do know its a garfield notebook..lOL, if you have any questions, feel free to pm me or post here, i had a wonderful c/s and wouldnt change anythign about it.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote