Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
thinking of pumping.... what do you think?

Hi everyone-- i'm currently 21 weeks and want to give the baby breast milk- due to circumstances and personal issues I am thinking of pumping as much as possible and supplimenting with formula if needed. Please no flaming... I know BM is best and to nurse would be ideal... but I don't think its gonna happen- i'll be going back to work pretty quickly and I want the baby to take a bottle so siblings and Dh can help with feeding. I thought that pumping would give the baby as much BM as possible. I'm wondering how often i will have to pump and which pump would be best for heavy use-- but i don't want to rent- and hope to saty under $200 -- can anyone give me any insight??

thanks!
Michelle

Advertisement

mms1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
d&xmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: thinking of pumping.... what do you think?

Are you going to be pumping only and not feeding from the breast at all? If so pumping can be done, but it is tough. I has a friend that did it for 10 months, b/c her son had a problem with his tongue.

Anyway to do so you have to pump very often in the beginning, I would say every 2- 3 hours-around the clock- to make sure your supply comes in and gets established. Once you have your supply established I am thinking you could be able to pump a lot or as little as you want. Breastmilk is a supply and demand thing so if you keep asking for it, it should come.

The only problem you may run into is that for some women the pump is not as good as baby in getting the milk out so with the pump you may not get as much as you would like.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was thinking of exclusively pumping-- or maybe for those first few weeks trying to do a mix of both-- then going to BM in bottles when i go back to work. i'm just thinking about nipple confusing that early?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally would recommend a Medela PIS. I had rented a Lactina Plus with DD1 and had to exclusivly pump for a month before I could get DD to latch then we had thrush for three and a half months Anyway, I have a PIS now and know it could handle what you are talking about. You would probably have to pump every two to three hours while on maternity leave to get your supply up (baby nursing at this time would also help, if it is an option at all) and yes, you do have to pump frequently in the beginning to get supply up. Then when you go to work, you may want to pump right before you go to work, at break, at lunch, at another break, then either when you get home or before you leave work depending on commute, and then every couple of hours if you are not nursing while at home. After a while you wont have to get up at night because of engrorgement but I would recommend trying to nurse babe at night instead of pumping (it is a lot easier and I have done it both ways).
DD2 is only a week old now and I am only using the pump to stop engrogement and get a good frozen supply for later, but you were asking what we thought.
Oh and for bottles, we used avent because the nipples were supposedly better for the bf babe. avent and dr johnson seem to be the anti-colic bottles on the market, but people have different opinions about it.
I know when I asked the LLL about this kind of thing, I was very discouraged because the people I spoke with thought I was wrong for giving a bottle at all, even if it was BM, if this happens to you, call someone else, and then someone else, then someone else until you get the support you need and just be persistant with what ever your goal for your child receiving bm is. No flames here, but I know a lot of the possible frustration you will be up against and bm is best for the babe and formula is really expensive. (When they are older like 9months or so, you could easily spend over 100 on formula a month, so don't limit yourself on price of a good pump, it will pay for itself in the end).
Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post
I was thinking of exclusively pumping-- or maybe for those first few weeks trying to do a mix of both-- then going to BM in bottles when i go back to work. i'm just thinking about nipple confusing that early?
For digestive reasons I would try to only give BM and stick with only one formula if you have to use it. Their little systems are very sensitive and formula can complicate things early on as well as lower your bm if you supplement right away.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

JJ- thanks so much for all that great info!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a PIS and love it.
I think if you nurse some at the breast at first it will help your milk supply. If you introduce a bottle early, then nipple confusion shouldn't be a problem.
DD took bottles when I was away at an early age.
She didn't want a bottle when I was around, though.
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Honestly I wouldn’t rec EP if you can at all avoid it.

If you’re go to EP (exclusively pump) from day 1 you really need a hosp grade pump if you want to establish a gd supply. A lactina or Symphony not a PIS. You can use a PIS once your supply is established but those first few weeks is crucial.

2nd you have to pump at least as often as a baby nurses so every 2-3h round the clock. So at midnight, you start pumping you pump for 20-30min. then you feed baby & change a diaper. Then you bring stuff to kitchen you rinse off the pump stuff put it in the fridge… before you know it, it will be 1:15 am or later. And you have to start over at 2am.

At least w/bf, you stick a bb in baby’s mouth and call it good. You can do while baby eats and when he’s done at 12:30 or 12:45 you crawl back into bed till 2. those 30-45min may not seem like much now but multiplied over the course of the day, it really really adds up.

Plus, you can bf in public. You may may not want to but you’ll have the baby and can. Or you can duck into a fitting room an nurse. If you’re pumping, you have to bring the pump and figure out where to pump or stay home. And I FIRMLY believe that the fastest way to ppd it for a new mother to stay home isolated w/a screaming newborn (and they all scream at some point)

A great resource for EP is the yahoo group called pumpmoms. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PumpMoms

btw, the flip side is that ANY amt of bm a baby gets is beneficial. So, if this is the only option, then its better than no bm at all. Just realize that pumping is A LOT more work than bf. I say this as I’m still pumping 4-5x a day when dd is 21 mo.

Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the pp have given you good advice. I ep'd for my first DD for the first 7 weeks. I pumped about every 3 hours around the clock. Let me tell you that it was very draining to be contantly attached to the pump. I was soo glad when she finally got her latch right (ex 36 weeker). You should pump at least once in the middle of the night to help your supply. THat is when the prolactin hormones that help produce bm are high.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
ocean_o_curls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i pumped exclusively for dd for a year. i had to pump every 2-3 hours at the beginning (around the clock) then moved to ever 3-4 hours until dd was almost 1. Once dd was sleeping through the night i didnt get up to pump during the night. Good luck. Pumping is hard way harder than i thought but if your committed to your baby having bm then you can do it. I used the medela pump in style.