Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: thinking of pumping.... what do you think?

Well, getting the baby used to the bottle early can be a great thing if you plan on going back to work early. I'd probably recommend getting your supply up initially by nursing, though. If you meet their qualifications, WIC can give you a free hospital-grade electric pump. Otherwise, I've heard good things about the Pump-in-Style. I made do through 8 months of classes with a Medela Harmony Manual Pump, LOL. Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD would not breastfeed so I exclusively pumped for her for 6 1/2 months (and I regret not pumping for longer...but I can't change that now). I didn't think that DD wouldn't nurse though so I only had a like cheap single breastpump. I used the hospital grade pump in the hospital, then I used a single electric for awhile, then a hand pump since the single broke, and then I finally bought a Medela Pump In Style. Definitely the best purchase I ever made. I pumped whenever and whereever I was. I recommend buying a car plug thing for it BTW, cuz I pumped while DH drove so often that it was a necessity. This pump works great, and kept my milk supply up just fine. I only gave DD a little formula while we were in the hospital, cuz the nurses insisted that my colostrum (sp?) wasn't enough from a bottle. Once my milk came in though, my DD was given only breastmilk until I quit pumping.

Good luck. If you have any questions or anything just pm me.

ETA: I pumped every 2 hours in the beginning (day and night), but then once DD only woke up once a night for a bottle (about 4 months old) I would not pump throughout the night. I'd pump at like 10pm or so, then I'd pump when I woke up usually between 8am and 10am sometime. I would get 2 full bottles worth at that pumping, which made up for that one bottle in the middle of the night that I didn't pump for.

Last edited by Jewelgurl137; 08-16-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Jewelgurl137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all the greeat advice everyone! I've been going back for forth the whole PG so far! i have nevEr BF before-- always chicken out at the last minute in the hospital! I was YOUNG and didn't know better! beginning of this pg i was SURE i was BFing--then decided bottle-- now i'm thinking a combo of both! ugh! I think my prob is I'm a very modest person and I KNOW i couldn't nurse in public or in front of anyone ( its all in my mind I know) but i want the baby to have the breast milk! well another 19 weeks to think about what to do! was looking at the Ameda purely yours or the Avent Isis Duo electric pumps(they are supposedly easier to clean??) anyone know about those?

thanks again for all your help!
mms1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
hellyaellen
Registered Users

GOOD FOR YOU MAMA for feeding breastmilk!!!!

try looking on kellymom. there are some great resources for exclusive pumpers. and tips on combining bottle feeding w/ nursing as well.

http://www.kellymom.com/

pumping is a lot more work! Even if you go back to work really soon ( I went back at 8 weeks) You can still nurse at home. I was lucky my baby did a bit of reverse cycling for me and slept while i worked. you may be able to encourage your little one to do the same.

as far as modesty issues go, some people practice in front of a mirror at home so that they can perfect latch on and then do it really quickly and discreetly when out and about. nursing tops really help too. they even make special nursing covers. (never tried one myself but yk whatever it takes)
hellyaellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #15
maine06
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hello! I BF'd while home but have to pump three times a day at work. I have the Ameda PY and love, love, love it. It's super easy to use, and even easier to clean.

The Lanisoh double electric is the SAME PUMP as the PY for a lot less money ($147 at Wal Mart). Plus, it's purple so it's prettier than the PY, too.

Good for you for wanting to try BFing, it's hard work but really worth it
maine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #16
patricelondon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi. I just wanted to add that you should check with your insurance and see if they do any type of reimbursement for a pump. Mine will reimburse $50, it's not much in terms of a $200 + dollar pump but it's something...
Baby #4 due Jan 2013

http://madebylovewithlove.wordpress.com/products/[/COLOR]
patricelondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post
thanks for all the greeat advice everyone! I've been going back for forth the whole PG so far! i have nevEr BF before-- always chicken out at the last minute in the hospital! I was YOUNG and didn't know better! beginning of this pg i was SURE i was BFing--then decided bottle-- now i'm thinking a combo of both! ugh! I think my prob is I'm a very modest person and I KNOW i couldn't nurse in public or in front of anyone ( its all in my mind I know) but i want the baby to have the breast milk! well another 19 weeks to think about what to do! was looking at the Ameda purely yours or the Avent Isis Duo electric pumps(they are supposedly easier to clean??) anyone know about those?

Mama!

You've gotten some great advice so far. Not too much for me to add and yet I've managed to ramble on for a few paragraphs.

I HIGHLY recommend the Avent Isis IQ Duo. I could rave for hours about this pump! It IS very easy to clean and it works beautifully! I've been pumping at work for almost 2 months now and can't imagine any other pump. It's pricey but totally worth it. AND, you need to get good quality if you want to have the best chance of making the pumping work for you and your LO. Just my as someone who's doing exactly what you have in mind to do when your LO gets here.

I would agree that you should definitely BF your LO at every possible opportunity in the beginning to get your supply up and to cut down on the amount of time you have to spend with your electric friend. I totally understand where you're coming from with the modesty with BFing and it being a whole new ballgame. You can totally make this work but be prepared to invest some quality time learning how to BF along with your LO. It isn't always easy at first but it pays off after about 4-6 weeks. As for the modesty part. Good nursing tops make it virtually impossible for anyone to see anything or tell what you're doing. Nursing blankets help too. Also, I started off doing a lot of nursing in fitting rooms because I was so shy. Honestly, though - and this is coming from a VERY SHY gal - I really don't care anymore amazingly enough. One day I just stopped caring when I realized that most people don't notice or care either....

GL Mama. Go with your instincts and don't worry! Any amount of BM your LO gets is wonderful.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #18
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
Honestly I wouldn’t rec EP if you can at all avoid it.

If you’re go to EP (exclusively pump) from day 1 you really need a hosp grade pump if you want to establish a gd supply. A lactina or Symphony not a PIS. You can use a PIS once your supply is established but those first few weeks is crucial.

2nd you have to pump at least as often as a baby nurses so every 2-3h round the clock. So at midnight, you start pumping you pump for 20-30min. then you feed baby & change a diaper. Then you bring stuff to kitchen you rinse off the pump stuff put it in the fridge… before you know it, it will be 1:15 am or later. And you have to start over at 2am.

At least w/bf, you stick a bb in baby’s mouth and call it good. You can do while baby eats and when he’s done at 12:30 or 12:45 you crawl back into bed till 2. those 30-45min may not seem like much now but multiplied over the course of the day, it really really adds up.

Plus, you can bf in public. You may may not want to but you’ll have the baby and can. Or you can duck into a fitting room an nurse. If you’re pumping, you have to bring the pump and figure out where to pump or stay home. And I FIRMLY believe that the fastest way to ppd it for a new mother to stay home isolated w/a screaming newborn (and they all scream at some point)

A great resource for EP is the yahoo group called pumpmoms. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PumpMoms

btw, the flip side is that ANY amt of bm a baby gets is beneficial. So, if this is the only option, then its better than no bm at all. Just realize that pumping is A LOT more work than bf. I say this as I’m still pumping 4-5x a day when dd is 21 mo.

Everything this person said is so true it needed to be repeated. I noticed you said you wanted siblings & dad to be able to "help" -- truly, pumping is so much more work than breastfeeding that it's not worth whatever help that is. With DS, I went back to work at 9 weeks -- he got bottles at daycare and I pumped, and then always nursed when I was with him.

I think if you go to a breastfeeding class and maybe read a good book, you might start to overcome your hesitation.

I was having trouble with DS at first and got the idea that maybe I would "just pump." Wow, it turned out to be so hard that I decided it was easier to work out our latching problems. It takes a lot of dedication to pump. If that's really the only option, then go for it (but you really need to spend enough money to get a decent pump). But I would suggest just giving it a try. If you change your mind and decide not to breastfeed, it's pretty easy to quit, so nothing lost. But if you don't try, and then change your mind and wish you had, it's very very hard to change.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #19
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

If you exclusively pump, I would suggest a PIS Advanced after the initial symphony in the hospital.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #20
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972 View Post

I don't know about those pumps but wanted to say something about NIP. I am very modest and had my father here all week. With a good nursing cover or good nursing shirt with proper nursing bras, it was quite easy to nurse while my father was sitting right there with me. I could never have done that with DD1 but I have been very determined with this baby not to give in and give her a bottle until my milk supply is established really well, like a month. I do want her to be able to take a bottle in case I need to leave her and do activities with my special needs DD and DH could easily feed her. I got a good nursing cover from a mama on here and there is a mama on here that also makes nursing shirts, and I will have her make me one or two when I find the right shirts.