Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #21
Coady_Chaos
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: thinking of pumping.... what do you think?

I can share my personal experience... If you are able to nurse in the very beginning (maybe while you are on maternity leave...) ITA it would be best. I say this not only due to benefits bonding with baby, etc, BUT it will help you establish a good supply.

I only take a 2-week maternity leave, so I pump like crazy immediately after birth. As soon as my milk comes in, I start pumping, and freeze it in a deep freezer (lasts longer.) I put baby on the breast and pump off the other breast simultaneously, for most feedings of the day (not overnight, of course, I am exhausted by then! lol)

Of course this is going to give you tons of milk and huge breasts, but it will be great to have a lot stored for when you cut back and stop putting baby to breast.

My personal experience, I am lucky that I am able to bring baby to work, but I continued to pump daily until 2 weeks ago (baby is 5 months next week.) The first 2-3 months I pumped and froze about 1000 ounces of breastmilk, and in the last couple of months I pumped just in the morning (for another 200-400 oz.) I think if you were able to pump at least a few times per day for the first couple of months WHILE NURSING baby on the other breast, you can get a great supply frozen!

I also suggust you offer a bottle nipple sooner than later, with in the first 2 weeks of birth. just an ounce or so of EBM will do, a few times per week until the time comes that you will wean baby off the breast. S/he will be used to the nipple and eating that way. With my 9 children, I had ONE child deal with refusing the bottle nipple (I waited until he was 3 months old to offer it.) But otherwise, my kids never gave me trouble with nipple confusion, breast, bottle, or pacifier. HTH and GOOD LUCK!

Advertisement

Coady_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #22
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks SOOOO much for all the reply's- you've really given me great advice!!!
mms1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #23
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Talk to a lactation consultant when you're ready to buy the pump. My PIS was much less than in the store because I bought it through her, and the profit went to an individual, not a huge corporation. And, check the laws in your state. It was a while ago that I bought mine, but I think I remember getting a note from the pediatrician recommending breastmilk, and then the pump was considered a medical device and I did not have to pay sales tax.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #24
tealeaf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought a Ameda PY for $125 delivered from www.happymothers.com with a $25 off coupon code for Ameda products. I haven't started nursing yet.

I highly, highly, highly recommend breastfeeding with no bottles for at least 2-3 weeks. I have had 4 babies with various nursing/bottlefeeding/pumping experience, and from my experience the pump does build up a supply as quick as an infant nursing. You'll have much more success pumping if the baby nurses a bit at the begining, and then mix in bottles & pumping. There are a couple of yahoo groups devoted to pumping & working - you'll find a lot of info & support there, too.