Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone NOT do a 3 cycle wash?

Since my ds hardly poos in his diapers or because when he does I spray them so clean I don't need the cold soak first. I just do the hot wash cold rinse x2.

None of my diapers have stains and I have sunned any diapers I've bought to remove the previous owner's stains as I want to get as much as possible back from them! (We're cheap! LOL)

Advertisement

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #12
jamiectw
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagina
I skip the first cold rinse I use a hot wash with detergent and Calgon. Once it's agitating I turn the dial to warm rinse (only available on the warm wash cycle, go figure) and do an extra rinse.
Have you ever done this with BF poo? DH complains about all the water used for diaper laundry, he thinks our laundry bill must be outrageous. I think it is less since I started CDing over 2 years ago because now I use less detergent for all our laundry and don't hardly use fabric softener at all. I would be willing to skip the cold rinse but am wondering if my dipes will really get clean will all that BF poo.

Right now I do a cold wash and then turn it to the spin cycle (when I catch it in time) when it starts to drain so basically I'm skipping the rinse cycle on that wash. Then I do a hot wash with the cold rinse on that cycle. I don't do a second cold rinse and don't have any problems. I use a small amount of detergent when I use it and I alternate between detergent and baking soda for washing. Baking soda gets my diapers clean without having to use detergent.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
HappyCDMamainWI
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do a cold rinse, then a long hot wash w/cold rinse, then a short hot wash with no soap and a cold rinse.

No stains on our diaps either. I love hanging them on the clothes line. Sometimes they get a rain rinse too
HappyCDMamainWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #14
mamagina
Registered Users
seller

Jamie,
yes, I've done that with bf poo. I checked the water in the last rinse and if it looks clean, I'm happy. I started doing it that way over a year ago mostly because I was missing changing the cycle and was doing at least 2 or 3 wash cycles to get the cold-hot-2 rinses recommended washes.. NOT conserving water or energy that way
Old 07-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #15
mommy2maya
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't I use prefolds- warm wash, cold rinse, with a second rinse. Haven't had a problem yet! I do sometimes put vinegar in, but I don't think it really makes a difference.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:38 AM   #16
Laniemel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A hot wash with a couple of cold rinses, adding one more periodically. I spray off my dd's diapers completely and I wash almost every day. (Gotta keep building that stash ) I use a small amount of dreft and that's it.
Laniemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiverfillin
I do cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse. I periodically do a second hot wash to avoid any stinky build-up.
Same here.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #18
Big Grown-Up Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't do three separate whole cycles, but I do do three separate steps.

1) cold soak with Bac-Out added(most of the time), usually overnight (our washer has a prewash cycle, so I just wait until it's full, let it agitate for a minute and then shut it off. The next morning I just let the water spin out before starting the next step.)

2)hot wash/cold rinse on heavy-duty cycle with about a tsp. of Allen's Naturally. If I didn't use Bac-Out in the soak, I'll toss in a Downy ball of white vinegar.

3)extra cold rinse (I have to run down and set this manually on our washer. I have serious washer-envy for those newer machines with the optional extra rinse cycle built right in!)

This works great for us. The sun and a bit of lemon juice take care of any stains that might occur, though we use fleece liners and don't really get many stains since Baby Pie started eating lots of solids.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #19
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

I rinse all my diapers out first then I cold soak overnight and run them through the super cycle 3 times. Works very well for getting my diapers clean and stain-free!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #20
CakeMama
Registered Users
seller

cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse...sometimes and xtra cold rinse if i put too much soap in .
CakeMama is offline   Reply With Quote