Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Mama2Trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Land of Volcanoes, Vampires, Werewolves, Sasquatch....
Question about nursing pillows

I had a Boppy when DS was a babe and just never really understood what was so great about it. Maybe because I got it used and it was not quite as full and firm and fluffy as a new one, but it just didn't do much of anything but get in the way. And maybe it is because I am fairly short, too, so it brought DS up too high? I honestly don't even remember much of why I wasn't impressed with it, but it just was awkward for both DS and me. Just putting a couple small pillows under my elbow, or sitting somewhere with the right armrest height seemed to work better, so I ended up freecycling the Boppy pretty quickly.

I do see how a breastfeeding pillow would be good for being arms-free, sitting down, so I have been considering giving one a chance again. Maybe another brand, like the Brest Friend ones, maybe if I just bought the Boppy new? Maybe none of them are good for short gals like me?

I am awaiting a hotsling, too, and since I have a toddler this time around, I wonder if I will do most of my nursing on foot, with babe in sling, anyway, and not have much use for a nursing pillow, after all. Or even if I did sit down, I could just nurse in the sling if I needed my hands free?

Sorry for rambling out loud, but at least I am finally starting to think about the reality of having another baby around! (It's taken a while for me to get serious with the planning this time around!) Please, suggestions and thoughts on ANY of this!! Thanks, Mamas!

ETA that I do remember the boppy kept DS fully horizontal, and I thought feeding would be more comfortable and the milk more easily and effectively digested if his head were higher than the rest of his body. Is there a way to do this with the boppy?

Advertisement

Last edited by Mama2Trey; 08-17-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Mama2Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
McKenzie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about nursing pillows

I don't know about the brestfriend, but our Bobby is addictive. We are on our 2nd one and my son doesn't nurse well without it. He only nurses in one position and we have never managed to get the whole nursing laying down thing because of it. But I didn't know because I don't know of anyone IRL who nurses other than me, so I didn't realize it was possible to nurse while sleeping or walking around etc.
I don't think I will be using one next time.
McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Boppies suck. LOL. Babies roll toward you. Try My Breast Friend. Truly, it is wonderful.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
patricelondon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a My Breast Friend on as I type- the baby is in the bassinet

I really love My Breast Friend and will take it off now that I've realized I still have it on. I'm resting my elbows on it as I type.
Baby #4 due Jan 2013

http://madebylovewithlove.wordpress.com/products/[/COLOR]
patricelondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricelondon View Post

I really love My Breast Friend and will take it off now that I've realized I still have it on. I'm resting my elbows on it as I type.

Hee hee.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this!

Seriously - get a My Brest Friend. It's the best thing ever except possibly my DD who uses it......
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Mama2Trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricelondon View Post

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. Maybe I will try My Breast/Brest? Friend this time around, if I decide I need a nursing pillow. I will be on the lookout anyway.

Anyone else have input?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

one of the main issues with nursing pillows is that mamas use them to support the baby, instead of using them to support mamas arms. when used correctly (which really isnt any better than a regular pillow IMO) then they work wonderfully. but it seems to be such a tempatation to so many mamas to support the baby, and then along comes the latch problems

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I don't think I would breastfeed long term without my Boppy. I can never seem to get the cradle hold down, and baby is way to heavy to hold cross-cradle without a good pillow. Piling regular pillows under the baby doesn't work for me because the pillows are always sliding away from me. A Boppy stays put.

I do elevate the baby's head more often than not, because both of my babies have had some reflux. I usually just curl up the leg that is under the baby's head. Alternatively, I angle the Boppy a little so that the end under her head is tight up against me, but the other end is out a little. That way her head is on the Boppy, but her bottom is kind of tucked between me and the Boppy.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Mama2Trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMommy View Post
I do elevate the baby's head more often than not, because both of my babies have had some reflux. I usually just curl up the leg that is under the baby's head. Alternatively, I angle the Boppy a little so that the end under her head is tight up against me, but the other end is out a little. That way her head is on the Boppy, but her bottom is kind of tucked between me and the Boppy.
Good ideas, thanks.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Mama2Trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
one of the main issues with nursing pillows is that mamas use them to support the baby, instead of using them to support mamas arms. when used correctly (which really isnt any better than a regular pillow IMO) then they work wonderfully. but it seems to be such a tempatation to so many mamas to support the baby, and then along comes the latch problems
This makes sense. Do new boppys come with instructions?