Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about nursing pillows

I find myself using my boppy to prop up everything. The baby, a book, the laptop, my dinner.

I always end up tucking a leg under me depending on what side Sophia's on so her head is a little higher. I'm hooked on my boppy really. It saves my arms from 10 pounds of raging fury while breastfeeding (she un-latches and gets head shakingly mad about it with regularity).

Advertisement

ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
onlyaglimmer
Registered Users
Fomerly: zanytoes

I used a boppy with my daughter until I weaned her (at 21 months).. LOVED the thing.. But I'm def. in need of a new nursing pillow.. that one was quite flat by the time we finished with it LOL. It totally saved my back though. I wasn't leaning over or having to hold her up to me.. the pillow supported my arms which supported the baby.. MUCH more comfy and comfy on my back
Old 08-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #13
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
Boppies suck. LOL. Babies roll toward you. Try My Breast Friend. Truly, it is wonderful.
I like boppy okay for other stuff, but not for bf'ing. My brest friend is attached to you so if you have to get up its easy to continue nursing without disturbing baby. I used to call it a shelf .
Old 08-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

I never figured out the boppy either. I felt the SAME way as you. It kept her too high up for us to get a good latch.

As for the other poster who didn't know how to lay down or walk and nurse. I was the SAME way until about 8 months. I then saw pictures on the net on HOW to nurse laying down, and I figured it out then and have been doing so EVERY night since. If you're still nursing and wanna find the pictures I'll look for them. They've saved me.

I also ONLY cradle hold nurse. I never could figure out the football hold and never even REALLY tried the cross hold as I soo don't get it. LOL Funny how we all do it differently isn't it. I'd LOVE to see these positions in photos. To me that just helps so much. I guess I learn that way too.

As for the OP I would def just try a sling. I'm going to do that next time around too. My dd was almost too old once I found out about bwing. I would LOVE to do it with my next. I've heard a RS is the best to nurse in. I have nursed in it about 3 times. My dd was already over a year old though and not Loving to nurse in public by that time. LOL HTH a little.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hated the boppy too! Never found a sling I like either.....not much help, but just thought I'd put my in!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #16
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a Boppy- never tried BF. I liked Boppy because I felt as if I weren't as hunched over. I could sit up straighter and I felt like DD was positioned better. I really liked it when I had to have her in the football hold. In the beginning- on my left side only- she would only latch on with the football hold. She does fine in almost any postion now (she is almost 8 months old).
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #17
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
one of the main issues with nursing pillows is that mamas use them to support the baby, instead of using them to support mamas arms. when used correctly (which really isnt any better than a regular pillow IMO) then they work wonderfully. but it seems to be such a tempatation to so many mamas to support the baby, and then along comes the latch problems
When you're using one hand to support and guide the baby's head and the other to hold your breast and help the baby get latched you have to have something to support the baby. Frankly my lap isn't going to cut it. The Boppy enables my daughter to be supported and me to use both hands to help her get to where she needs to be with as little head shaking and crying as possible. So, even with the Boppy supporting her we're doing just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy21princess View Post
I never figured out the boppy either. I felt the SAME way as you. It kept her too high up for us to get a good latch.

As for the other poster who didn't know how to lay down or walk and nurse. I was the SAME way until about 8 months. I then saw pictures on the net on HOW to nurse laying down, and I figured it out then and have been doing so EVERY night since. If you're still nursing and wanna find the pictures I'll look for them. They've saved me.

I also ONLY cradle hold nurse. I never could figure out the football hold and never even REALLY tried the cross hold as I soo don't get it. LOL Funny how we all do it differently isn't it. I'd LOVE to see these positions in photos. To me that just helps so much. I guess I learn that way too.

As for the OP I would def just try a sling. I'm going to do that next time around too. My dd was almost too old once I found out about bwing. I would LOVE to do it with my next. I've heard a RS is the best to nurse in. I have nursed in it about 3 times. My dd was already over a year old though and not Loving to nurse in public by that time. LOL HTH a little.
http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm

Is that it?
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #18
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I loved my boppy!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #19
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
When you're using one hand to support and guide the baby's head and the other to hold your breast and help the baby get latched you have to have something to support the baby. Frankly my lap isn't going to cut it. The Boppy enables my daughter to be supported and me to use both hands to help her get to where she needs to be with as little head shaking and crying as possible. So, even with the Boppy supporting her we're doing just fine
let me clarify, heres my response on the other thread

if everything is good for you mama, then theres no worries.

IME, alot of mamas use the pillow instead of proper positioning. proper positioning is VITAL to a proper latch. the pillow is designed to support your arms that support the baby. it is often the case that a mama will be leaning over the baby, and bringing the breast to the baby. baby is laying on his or her back, and not tummy to tummy. i would say 95% of the time, a pillow that is being improperly used results in latch issues, which then leads to supply issues....and so and so on.

but if you arent having any of the said problems, then theres no issue. i was simply saying that IME, most of the time, mamas use them incorrectly, and the result is a stressed out mama and a crying baby.

its different than laying down and nursing because when you are laying down, the baby is as well, and you are typically tummy to tummy with baby, which would be correct positioning. this isnt the case with a boppy or other nursing pillow.

i have see WAY too many times when a nursing pillow has completely devastated a nursing relationship. simply stating my person experience in the lactation field.

ETAA: when you use one hand to support babys head, and the boppy to support the body, the baby typically becomes twisted, which again, leads to a poor latch. (think about trying to eat over your shoulder) the boppy would have to be at the exact same height as your hand, which with most mamas, isnt the case. and like i said before, all of this can be achieved with a regular pillow, usually more effectively. if you use the cross cradle hold (alot of mamas think this hold is hard, but thats because they usually arent doing it correctly. an overwhelming majority of the mamas ive helped has been able to effectively use the cross cradle hold, much more so than any other position.) then your arm then supports the baby. and again, your arm would then be supported by the pillow.

Last edited by rlsadc; 08-18-2007 at 10:15 PM.
rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #20
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used a Boppy all the time with DS, but it just never felt right with DD. I prefer no pillow with her. I have only used the Boppy with her for propping when she was learning to sit up.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote