Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #21
vkier
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question about nursing pillows

I HATEd the Boppy. My teeny little DS just rolled toward me. PITA!
I L O V E My Breast Friend. So much so that I've bought one for all my expecting, planning-to-breastfeed friends. (I just kept an eye out on eBay for gently used ones and never got burned. Word of advice, do NOT wash the cover on hot. It fits snugly as it is, and will shrink to nearly-impossible to put back on size if washed too hot or dried in the dryer.) One friend forgot hers at home when she went to the hospital to have her DD. She promptly sent her DH home to get it, and was NOT disappointed.

Advertisement

vkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #22
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

I've tried regular pillows, My BF pillow, Nuzzle, and a Boppy. The Boppy was my favorite by far...we use it everytime! I'm pretty short-waisted and it positions her just perfect.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #23
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsadc View Post
let me clarify, heres my response on the other thread

if everything is good for you mama, then theres no worries.

IME, alot of mamas use the pillow instead of proper positioning. proper positioning is VITAL to a proper latch. the pillow is designed to support your arms that support the baby. it is often the case that a mama will be leaning over the baby, and bringing the breast to the baby. baby is laying on his or her back, and not tummy to tummy. i would say 95% of the time, a pillow that is being improperly used results in latch issues, which then leads to supply issues....and so and so on.

but if you arent having any of the said problems, then theres no issue. i was simply saying that IME, most of the time, mamas use them incorrectly, and the result is a stressed out mama and a crying baby.

its different than laying down and nursing because when you are laying down, the baby is as well, and you are typically tummy to tummy with baby, which would be correct positioning. this isnt the case with a boppy or other nursing pillow.

i have see WAY too many times when a nursing pillow has completely devastated a nursing relationship. simply stating my person experience in the lactation field.

ETAA: when you use one hand to support babys head, and the boppy to support the body, the baby typically becomes twisted, which again, leads to a poor latch. (think about trying to eat over your shoulder) the boppy would have to be at the exact same height as your hand, which with most mamas, isnt the case. and like i said before, all of this can be achieved with a regular pillow, usually more effectively. if you use the cross cradle hold (alot of mamas think this hold is hard, but thats because they usually arent doing it correctly. an overwhelming majority of the mamas ive helped has been able to effectively use the cross cradle hold, much more so than any other position.) then your arm then supports the baby. and again, your arm would then be supported by the pillow.
I have to say that I had horrible latch issues and ended up seeing 4 different LC's. The only position that worked for us (and the only one that still does)was the cross-cradle. I finally bought a boppy after ~8 weeks and it saved us! It helped me get her positioned just right, left a hand to hold my breast and one to guide her head. Our nursing relationship dramatically improved after this. Our latch is noticalby more difficult when I'm not using it.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #24
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think what works for you depends on the baby and how they nurse. I had a boppy with dd#1 and it never worked for me. I did better with a couple of regular pillows. I had a c-section with dd#1 and could only comfortably do the football hold at first and then dd#1 hated anything but the football hold for months so that probably had a lot to do with it. I kept my boppy but didn't really anticipate using it much. Now with our new dd I love the boppy. It helps me get her in the right position to nurse. I have tried regular pillows and they aren't cutting it. I can't get her positioned right without the boppy this time around. But we are doing the cradle hold this time so that may be the difference as well. So with dd#2 I really like the boppy but hated it with dd#1.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #25
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi2705 View Post
I have to say that I had horrible latch issues and ended up seeing 4 different LC's. The only position that worked for us (and the only one that still does)was the cross-cradle. I finally bought a boppy after ~8 weeks and it saved us! It helped me get her positioned just right, left a hand to hold my breast and one to guide her head. Our nursing relationship dramatically improved after this. Our latch is noticalby more difficult when I'm not using it.
just wanted to clarify that it isnt used correctly by MOST mamas, and like is said before, when they are, they are wonderful. im glad the boppy was able to help you so much.

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #26
Mama2Trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Land of Volcanoes, Vampires, Werewolves, Sasquatch....

Well, you've all been a help and a confusion at the same time!! LOL
Really, though, all-in-all helpful, as I see so many different methods and holds work for so many different mamas and babies.

I think we will just wait and see what works best for us. I'll try the sling and regular pillows/armrests first, and if it gets too tiring or drives me crazy, I will be on the lookout for a gently used nursing pillow. I think if I get to that point I may try the BF first, as I already have experience with the boppy. But who knows, maybe I will end up with the boppy after all, and like it better this time around.

Thanks again for all the great responses. Oh, and is the BF much bigger, heightwise, than the boppy, or about the same? TIA
Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #27
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my brest friend was awesome.
boppy was more a decorative item/floor prop item.
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #28
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Trey View Post
Well, you've all been a help and a confusion at the same time!! LOL
Really, though, all-in-all helpful, as I see so many different methods and holds work for so many different mamas and babies.

I think we will just wait and see what works best for us. I'll try the sling and regular pillows/armrests first, and if it gets too tiring or drives me crazy, I will be on the lookout for a gently used nursing pillow. I think if I get to that point I may try the BF first, as I already have experience with the boppy. But who knows, maybe I will end up with the boppy after all, and like it better this time around.

Thanks again for all the great responses. Oh, and is the BF much bigger, heightwise, than the boppy, or about the same? TIA
Heightwise, it's smaller or thinner I guess is the right way to describe it. I always found boppies to be kinda fat 'n fluffy. MBF is thinner and more firm. It also has a buckle to keep it from popping out. And, it's got a pocket which I use for a spit up cloth.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #29
Mama2Trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Land of Volcanoes, Vampires, Werewolves, Sasquatch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceraden View Post
Heightwise, it's smaller or thinner I guess is the right way to describe it. I always found boppies to be kinda fat 'n fluffy. MBF is thinner and more firm. It also has a buckle to keep it from popping out. And, it's got a pocket which I use for a spit up cloth.
Thanks, Heather!!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #30
Phooey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really like my Cuddle-U (cheap-o) from Wal-Mart. I think it was around $20. It's shaped like a boppy, but seems a bit softer and has a fold-out buckle thing for when they get bigger and use it as a seat.

Here's a link. I think other stores have them, too...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4564500

Phooey on spending a lot on a hootie pillow
Kim, WIFE to an amazing hubby, MOM to Duncan (12 - early teenager syndrome), Jensen (10 - middle child syndrome), two angels, Rowan (3 - preschooler syndrome), and Kaylen Grace (born 10/29/10 - Down syndrome).
Phooey is offline   Reply With Quote