Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BFing at 10 months

my dd is 10 mths old and i am still BFing her as well as giving her babyfood and some table food. i want to keep Bfing her until a year but with school starting and me being pregs w/ #2 i dont want to be as on demand. does anyone know how much i need to nurse her in order to keep my supply decent and keep my baby healthy?

i am also torn about my night feedings because she still insists on nursing at least 1 or2 times at night and being pregs and starting back my last year of college i need the rest. can anyone help?

thanks!

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BFing at 10 months

its not common for a 10 month old to sleep through the night, their little tummies cant hold enough to keep them full. i predict that stopping night time nursings is going to mean youre awake even more through the night. do you cosleep? if so, then you can nurse baby laying down, and then you wont even have to get up. (many a mornings i wake to dd nursing, and i didnt even know she was there lol). sorry, i dont have much more advice on that front.

as far as being in less demand during the day, your LO is only 10 months, and still gets most of her nutrition from the breast. increase her solids intake, and see if that helps. my dd is just now starting to like solids, so its a hit or miss. (dd is 13 months) also, dont offer the breast, but also dont refuse it when she does ask.

have you considered pumping? maybe you can pump once a night before bed to have a small stash on hand for when youre busy or not home. also, your LO is old enough to start simple juices if you feel comfortable with them. my dd drinks watered down carrot juice, becuase i dont like the sugar in other juices. hth mama

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

I co-sleep and I get enough sleep at night, my baby is almost 3 months old and we sleep pretty much threw the night. We only get up once and all I do is pop the boob in and we are back to sleep sometimes I dont even realize I did it lol.

I think if your worried about school, you should really consider pumping so that your supply doesnt go down.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
apmommatnt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As far as being pregnant and your nursing, there is no reason that you would have to stop purely on that basis alone, your milk supply will teeter off around your 6th month or so, but come back full force by the end of your pregnancy. I nursed my then 2 1/2 year old through a pregnancy that lasted 43 weeks...had no problems with the pregnancy, it actually sped my labor up and assisted with contractions. Were you planning on CLW (child led weaning)? Or were you going to wean at a year? If you were going along the lines of CLW, then just let her nurse...it really is a lifesaver when the new baby comes too...we all know how hard the first couple weeks can be with getting started nursing again. Good luck momma! I know you can do it!!
apmommatnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with everyone else. She is far too young to begin limiting her breastmilk. She is only 10 months old. I also cosleep and I can tell you that I am very well rested because I don't have to get up at night to nurse him...we just both sleep through it.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd wont sleep with me it just does not work. she is way too squirmy, she and i both sleep better in seperate beds. its just o stressful that everyone asks is she sleeping through the night and its like if shes not im doing something wrong...anyways thanks for the advice. maybe i will try pumping a little more and not worry so much that i have to get up to nurse her.*sigh
Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definatly continue, IMO, 10months is still so young! I nursed my DS through my entire pregnancy (got pg when he was 10months old) and it seriously helped him so much with the new baby. He was still able to nurse. Just eat good and drink alot of water/gatorade.

My 20month old doesnt sleep through the night, I havent met, IRL, a BF baby who did at 10months. Though we co-sleep and I dont even wake up at night when she nurses!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
tadbhoward
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenlife View Post
my dd wont sleep with me it just does not work. she is way too squirmy, she and i both sleep better in seperate beds. its just o stressful that everyone asks is she sleeping through the night and its like if shes not im doing something wrong...anyways thanks for the advice. maybe i will try pumping a little more and not worry so much that i have to get up to nurse her.*sigh
If you are not sleeping in the same room then she is waking up because she is hungry. Will she take a bottle? Can your man feed her pumped bm once a night to help you get some more rest?

As far as everyone telling you that she should be sleeping through the night... I get that about my 4mo dd. Whatever. I've learned to answer with "Oh she sleeps great at night"

Good luck with getting some rest mama

Last edited by tadbhoward; 08-18-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: silly typo
tadbhoward is offline   Reply With Quote