Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

Preterm labor

I'm almost 33 weeks pg and currently on meds to stop preterm labor. My doctor is taking me off the meds around 35 1/2 weeks and will not stop labor when it starts after that point.

If you have experienced preterm labor before, how soon did you deliver your baby once you stopped taking meds? I'm just wondering if I'll most likely go into labor within a couple days or if I potentially could carry this baby to full term?

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Preterm labor

i don't know but wanted to offer you some hugs
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
slomom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I went into preterm labour at 35 weeks after being diagnosed with PIH two days before. I was already contracting when they were monitoring me, then my water broke. About a half hour after that, my contractions were 5 minutes apart.

They didn't stop my labour.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
My3LuckyCharms
Registered Users
seller

I had preterm labor with this baby at 34 weeks with this baby. I was not on Terbutaline consistently but only as needed (ended up taking it about 4 times). I delivered her at exactly 38 weeks. GL!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was on the terb with pg. #3 from 33 weeks until 36 weeks when they took me off of it, I delivered at 39 weeks only because an amnio at 38 weeks said her lungs weren't mature enough and they would not induce (I was practically begging, the contractions were so painful). I contracted the entire time too, ugh.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had PTL with dd but am allergic to terb. so i took something else they took me off the meds at 35 weeks and she didnt come til 36weeks 5 days
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PTL at 25 weeks (twins), mag. sulfate for 5 days (ugh!), then strict bedrest for 9 wks (3 hosp. & 6 home). Delivered at 34wks, 4days.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info...looks like it could be right away or I could go a few more weeks. I'm still having quite a few contractions even on the terbutaline so it seems like they will probably start back up all the time as soon as I stop the meds. I sure hope I don't have to go several weeks with all these contractions. Yikes! Although, I do want to make it far enough along so that my baby will be healthy.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
hsjwmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

PTL at 32 weeks w/ #1...Mag Sulphate in the hospital for 3 weeks. I delivered about 5 hours after the meds were stopped. She was born at 35 weeks exactly and went home the very next day.

I don't remember when I was hospitalized w/#2...28 weeks? They kept me there on Mag for 6 days and then switched me over to Terbutaline. I was on it every 4 hours for about 6 weeks. I took my last dose at midnight at 35 weeks, dd was born 8ish PM the next day. She was perfectly healthy too and went home with me.

I had got the steroid shots to help their lungs with both girls.

Hoping #3 likes being inside me a bit more than the girls did!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had preterm labor with my twins at 29wks and they were able to stop it w/ Terb & Mag Sulfate after about 2 days and I was almost 5cm. I was hospitalized for 2 wks and then at home on strict bedrest & Procardia until 34wks. I went all the way back down to >1cm so at 34wks my OB took me off Procardia & bedrest and my water broke in the middle of the night less than 2 days later. My dad's GF has twins too and she went into labor within 24 hrs of going off of her meds & bedrest but needed a c/s.
It's not a guarantee but if your body wants to have the baby and the meds & bedrest are preventing it than most likely you'll deliver shortly after stopping them. Has your dr been giving you steroid shots (Betamethazone) to help mature your baby's lungs? My twins actually did remarkably well for being born at less than 35wks. They were both released within 1wk and mainly for observation/jaundice/eating issues more than anything.
Good luck mama!! KUP!