Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
bassbonelady
Registered Users
seller

Co-sleeping- attaching a crib (mattress) to a parent bed?

I'm looking at buying an arms-reach co-sleeper, but also am trying to see if it is possible to make do w/ what we have.

We were given a crib, and if I take one rail off, think we could side-car it, with some adjustments to A. push the mattress over the two inches it needs, and B. give some support UNDER the mattress.

That seems doable.

WHere I'm puzzled is, how do you attach the mattresses together, or do you? Anyone have a method that works for them? If anyone has an arms-reach, what is the method they use to attach the co-sleeper to the bed?

(Unfortunately, they don't sell co-sleepers here in Mexico, so I can't just go out and take a look)

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

bassbonelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
moonsandmarshmellows
Registered Users
Formerly: mumto2
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Co-sleeping- attaching a crib (mattress) to a parent bed?

we was cosleeping until about 5 months ago and all we did was take the side off the crib and put it right beside are bed. yes there is a gap but all we done was got a really big old blanket that we have and stuck it in the gap. it works and we still get to be close. HTH

SAHMama to Austyn 3/06, Anya 9/08, and Christopher 9/10
Lillian Louise 12/12
moonsandmarshmellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just took the side rail off and slid it up against our bed. The mattress has to be moved over some but I just took the bumpers and folsed it up and set it between the mattress and side rail.
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made the crib a toddler bed then made a metal clamp to attach it to the wood frame around my bed. I use it for the 3 yr old the baby sleeps in my bed.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

Were co-sleeping our 3yo twins and 14mn old Asterix right now!
We took one side off our crib. Pushed the crib in the corner and pushed our bed up to it. I put a pice of plie wood on our box springs and the crib spring so thered be no way DC could fall threw if the beds slipped apart. Then we scooted the crib mattress flush with ours. We have a thick pillow top so there was a heigth difference. I stacked a second crib mattress to get ride of that. Theres a gap between the crib mattresses and the back rail so I stuffed a body pillow in there.

When we move and get a new bed frame for our bed Im going to do it differently. Ill use just one crib mattress and raise it so its the same height, no plywood and Ill tie the legs of the crib to our bed frame.

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
talitha
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used the instructions here: http://groups.msn.com/SteveandLishsFamily/sidecarcrib.msnw

Only we used pool noodles to save money. We also had to buy a second crib mattress to bring it to the right height. I went to a second hand store here and bought a checp used one. Here are pics of our current setup. If I had to do it over, I would save my money and not buy the cosleeper and just do this from the beginning.

We have a king size bed attached to the crib, so our sleeping space is HUGE, and we love it!!

Last edited by talitha; 08-18-2007 at 07:33 PM.
talitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
lauramaynot
Registered Users
seller
seller

we have this too right now. Crib next to the wall pool noodle between the crib mattress and back of crib rail. Bumper on top of the pool noodle. Nothing between or under just make sure the mattresses are tight together before bed. We also don't have the beds tied together and we have never had any shifting. Play with your configuration and figure out what works best for you...
Samuel Sluder 16 Sarah Rose 14 Adam Frank 13 Eliza Gray 6 Benjamin Elias 4 Alice Catherine 1 And #7 coming Aug 2013
lauramaynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
SunflowerKids
Registered Users
Formerly: mysunflowerboys
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
We just took the side rail off and slid it up against our bed. The mattress has to be moved over some but I just took the bumpers and folsed it up and set it between the mattress and side rail.
That is how we set ours up, too. I don't like using crib bumpers, so this was a good use of them!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by talitha View Post

We have a king size bed attached to the crib, so our sleeping space is HUGE, and we love it!!
OP: Everyone else gave great ideas!

but OT I just HAD to say...

MAMA!!!! I love your bed! Currently we have a queen and everyone and their cousin (cat included) seems to want to sleep in it tonight. I'm all crunched up in the corner of my bed this very moment with my laptop on my friggin' folded legs and I saw your bed and thought..."ahhhh that must be nice."
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
weddell
Registered Users
seller

We followed the same instructions as a previous poseter :http://groups.msn.com/SteveandLishsF...decarcrib.msnw
We are also using pool noodles from the dollar store! I might spring for some better foam for a younger baby though, mine is almost 2 and I don't worry about the little gaps left by the pool noodles.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote