Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Expert latch/BFing Mamas: Nursing Pillow problems???

I was reading another thread about nursing pillows and one Mama mentioned about how nursing pillows can mess up the latch when they're used to prop baby instead of Mama's arms.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Also, how is propping baby on a pillow any different than nursing side lying in bed???

Our latch seems to be A -Okay at this point but I'm for sure guilty of letting my pillow take some of the weight off for me. I've NEVER been able to nurse her cradle style (or without a pillow for that matter)

Advertisement

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Re: Expert latch/BFing Mamas: Nursing Pillow problems???

I would think that it would maybe cause problems in the early stages of bfing. Yk before momma and baby are getting a GOOD latch?? That's just my thoughts on it. I didn't use a nursing pillow in the beginning and I NEVER could figure out how to lay down and nurse until she was about 8 months old. I finally found pictures on the internet showing HOW to do it. So for 8 LONG months I sat up in bed and nursed all through the night. Anyway when I did get the boppy I never figured it out either. I had a hard time getting her latched on in the right position with it. Funny. I think it's cuz i'm small chested and my boobs were to small to go UP to her on the pillow??

As for laying down I also think in the early tiems that's a hard postition to get in and get a good latch. My SIL just had a baby and she actually laid down for two feedings but then she couldn't figure it out again so maybe different positions just work for different mommas?? Does any of that make any sense?? LOL
Old 08-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceraden View Post
I was reading another thread about nursing pillows and one Mama mentioned about how nursing pillows can mess up the latch when they're used to prop baby instead of Mama's arms.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Also, how is propping baby on a pillow any different than nursing side lying in bed???

Our latch seems to be A -Okay at this point but I'm for sure guilty of letting my pillow take some of the weight off for me. I've NEVER been able to nurse her cradle style (or without a pillow for that matter)

if everything is good for you mama, then theres no worries.

IME, alot of mamas use the pillow instead of proper positioning. proper positioning is VITAL to a proper latch. the pillow is designed to support your arms that support the baby. it is often the case that a mama will be leaning over the baby, and bringing the breast to the baby. baby is laying on his or her back, and not tummy to tummy. i would say 95% of the time, a pillow that is being improperly used results in latch issues, which then leads to supply issues....and so and so on.

but if you arent having any of the said problems, then theres no issue. i was simply saying that IME, most of the time, mamas use them incorrectly, and the result is a stressed out mama and a crying baby.

ETA: its different than laying down and nursing because when you are laying down, the baby is as well, and you are typically tummy to tummy with baby, which would be correct positioning. this isnt the case with a boppy or other nursing pillow.

Last edited by rlsadc; 08-18-2007 at 08:29 PM.
rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Yeah I just wanted to say that I totally get that now, you know for me it did seem like I had to take my small breasts to her and not HER to me, when I used the boppy. Hummm...
Old 08-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure I used a boppy and a cuddle u when dd was younger & we had a good latch. But what I did was I put a throw pillow under the beginning of the boppy to help hold it up
Old 08-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy21princess View Post
Yeah I just wanted to say that I totally get that now, you know for me it did seem like I had to take my small breasts to her and not HER to me, when I used the boppy. Hummm...
which is a big no no as far as latch is concerned

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote