Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:
NE BF mama have migraines? What do you take?

My current GP will only give me Vicoprofen for the pain. They say because I’m BF and allergic to Tylenol that’s all they can do. I’m NOT weaning my DS like they want me too!! I realize he’s 14mn but he still LOVES BF! Shhheeez the boy just yesterday figured out how to apple juice out of a bottle! And he still can’t seam to use a sipper. Which is totally fine by me!

I’m staying away from my triggers as much as possible. Sometimes I do need to go out side and sunglasses aren’t always enough.
So if you get headaches or migraines what do you use? Do you know of anything safe? Homeopathic? I’m going to be moving and I’ll get a new GP and finding a neurologist (haven’t seen one since before the twins). I’d like to be somewhat informed when I go in again so I don’t get the same tuff luck till you wean run around!

Advertisement

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NE BF mama have migraines? What do you take?

what are some of the meds you are wanting to take? a great resource is medicines and mothers milk. it give the risk of each med, and rates them.

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
Infinity
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I’ve been pg or BF for the last 4 years. LOL Before that I was using Indocin. I’d tried Imatrex but I’m one of the rare people that it actually makes my migraines worse.
I want to try anything that will give me relief! I pray for the day I don’t have a headache and the week that I don’t get a migraine. Last night I got 2 hrs sleep. I’m ‘dopping’ myself every 4hrs so I don’t want to kill myself. After DH gets a few hrs sleep (graveyards) I’m going to have him take me to the ER. They’ll give me morphine or the other thingy and I’ll be able to over this one and function for a few days.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Coady_Chaos
Registered Users

My Mood:

Imitrex makes my migraines worse too! Isn't it awful.

I have been taking Percocet for about 20 years to treat migraine, because nothing else seems to work. My neurologist has me taking Magnesium and Riboflavin daily as well, and my PCP added Inderal (a beta-blocker for hypertension) at a low dose to help also. I still get one or two migraines per month, but it IS improved from 4-6 per month, kwim? I have been pregnant and/or breastfeeding for the last 17 years, and the doctors have felt safe with the Percocet.

THAT SAID, there is Tylenol in Percocet, but they do have ocycodone, the active ingredient in percocet, with out acetaminophen (Tylenol.) If the migraines are bad enough that require narcotics, like mine are, the oxycodone might work well for you, even while nursing and/or pregnant. HTH!
Coady_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Infinity
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used ocycodone for a month but my pharmacist freaked when he realized I was still BF. I guess it has aspirin in it so he was worried about the baby getting ryes threw my milk. It worked a LOT better than the vicoprofen too!
Oh yeah the neurologist had had me taking magnesium and riboflavin too! I’ll have to pick some up! It did help some years ago. I think the midwife I was seeing didn’t think I should need more than what was in my prenatals.

I actually have high BP. They’re not yet calling it hypertension. I stopped taking Lopresor a couple weeks ago because it keeps me up at night, didn’t help my migraines at all and only help my BP a little. Especially since I had so much trouble remembering to take it 2 times a day. Is Inderal a once a day or twice a day? I’m going to ask my new GP about it.

Thank you!!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
worldsaver
Registered Users

My Mood:

Imitrex & Amerge didn't do a thing for me either, but the didn't make it worse! I've had great luck with Relpax. it stops the migraine after you take t. I was shocked that it worked since the others didn't. it doesn't take it away all the way, but it does make so I can function, at least a little. I pump and dump for 24 hrs after I take it So obviously, I take it only for the severe severe ones, that I would be going to the ER otherwise. Other than that, I take tons of caffeine, 800MG of advil AND Tylenol and wait for the torture to pass

I have a script for Topamax and will start that when I'm done nursing. it's also supposed to prevent.

I don't really like taking any RX pain reliever, none of them actually work, they just make me sicker, drowsy, and crappy feeling. The most i"ve had luck with is MIdrin combined with 800MG Of advil, but the Relpax is much better & it doesnt' make me drowsy

The Chiro also helps me so much. I"d be really bad off it it weren't for going to the chiro!
worldsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
kendrea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I take Maxalt for the migraine and Promethazine for the upset stomach (from the migraine). I have read that drinking Gatorade or take 2 TBLS of Apple Cider Vinegar in 8 oz of water, 2x day will help with headaches. Maybe something you could try?
Kassidy 2008
kendrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Coady_Chaos
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Inderal (propranolol) can be taken 2 or 4 times per day. I take it twice per day, it's a low dose and not for HTN (for me.) I have tried Feverfew (at GNC) but that didn't work for me either, but forgot to mention it.
Coady_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
mlhtej
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been having very bad migraines too. I get them at least once a week and it will last up to 2 days. I take Darvocet, but it really doesn't help much. I'm looking for relief too
My Blog: http://lovingmyfrugallife.blogspot.com/
mlhtej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsaver View Post
Imitrex & Amerge didn't do a thing for me either, but the didn't make it worse! I've had great luck with Relpax. it stops the migraine after you take t. I was shocked that it worked since the others didn't. it doesn't take it away all the way, but it does make so I can function, at least a little. I pump and dump for 24 hrs after I take it So obviously, I take it only for the severe severe ones, that I would be going to the ER otherwise. Other than that, I take tons of caffeine, 800MG of advil AND Tylenol and wait for the torture to pass

I have a script for Topamax and will start that when I'm done nursing. it's also supposed to prevent.

I don't really like taking any RX pain reliever, none of them actually work, they just make me sicker, drowsy, and crappy feeling. The most i"ve had luck with is MIdrin combined with 800MG Of advil, but the Relpax is much better & it doesnt' make me drowsy

The Chiro also helps me so much. I"d be really bad off it it weren't for going to the chiro!
According to Dr. Hale (Medication's and Mother's milk guru, Relpax should be fine and you shoulnd't have to pump and dump) http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages....html#POST2273

He also says that Topamax should be fine also http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages...7.html#POST799

Last edited by mommyto3girls; 08-20-2007 at 02:28 PM.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote