Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #11
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone please tell me the deal with soy for infants?

So if you can't BF and your kid can't have dairy, if say is out then what?

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 17, Seth 10, Pandora Moonlilly 6 and Nevermore Stargazer 3, married to my awesome sahd artist husband of 7 years
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #12
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

Are you on TBW as well? I know there was a big thread about soy not being good over there. Maybe you could check...
I know that my friend gave her DS soy formula and he had thrush all the time, that is my only experience.
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is this with ALL soy stuff and ALL ages?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes kids will outgrow lactose intolerance so it is good to rechallenge them. Most truly lactose intolerant people are missing the enzyme that is in lactaid. Rice milk is generally a better choice than soy milk. I don't think feeding a child soy is a horrible thing to do or anything, some moms do it to try to be healthier and it just isn't. Soy can be very hard on tummies too. My oldest ended up with a sugar intolerance so we went through a period where we tried to eliminate all sorts of things. When we first took him off of lactose and I was giving him some soy, his tummy/bms got so much worse. There isn't enough for-sure research on soy yet, too much of it is biased at the start, since its pretty much an unknown I just avoid it.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #15
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We give him tiny bits of real cheese and yogurt every week and he still gets rashes from those if he poops. We just change him immediately to make sure it doesn't burn him (do this any time he poops anyways). So yeah, he's still VERY lactose intolerant, but I'm hoping he outgrows it.

I thought Soy was healthy! Who knew. Honestly, we can't afford rice milk or goats milk, etc. He drinks tons and soymilk is $$ enough! *sigh* Is soymilk better than cows milk though? I mean, in the grand scheme of things?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #16
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
We give him tiny bits of real cheese and yogurt every week and he still gets rashes from those if he poops. We just change him immediately to make sure it doesn't burn him (do this any time he poops anyways). So yeah, he's still VERY lactose intolerant, but I'm hoping he outgrows it.

I thought Soy was healthy! Who knew. Honestly, we can't afford rice milk or goats milk, etc. He drinks tons and soymilk is $$ enough! *sigh* Is soymilk better than cows milk though? I mean, in the grand scheme of things?
I am with you on this. DD is 19 months old and if I were to give her straight milk, she would be up 7-8 times a night screaming in pain and foul foul BM's that eat away at her skin. She gets that way even from a sip of milk.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh brother, why isn't this info more widely known or advised??? I mean, my dr has me giving my DS soy milk, if he has cow's milk he breaks out in a horrible rash. I'm just not sure why a few ppl know about soy being "bad" yet soooooooooo many ppl drink it & give it to their children after their Ped advises them to??? It's just bizaar to me! Why make soy baby formulas? Soy milks? Soy protein shakes? Soy energy bars now...
Old 08-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Oh brother, why isn't this info more widely known or advised??? I mean, my dr has me giving my DS soy milk, if he has cow's milk he breaks out in a horrible rash. I'm just not sure why a few ppl know about soy being "bad" yet soooooooooo many ppl drink it & give it to their children after their Ped advises them to??? It's just bizaar to me! Why make soy baby formulas? Soy milks? Soy protein shakes? Soy energy bars now...
We are on soy because that's what my ped advised.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #19
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is lactose intollerant and she drinks soy milk, but I nursed her until she was a year old. I am a vegetarian so we have lots of "fake meat" around the house, but we are raising her as an omnivore so she gets real meat. I think it would be too much soy to give her soy milk plus other soy products.

Everything in moderation.

If you are a vegetarian raising vegetarian kids, you should really see a nutritionist, unless your are culturally vegetarian (i.e. Hindi). My ped is Hindi and at our first meeting she said if we decided to raise DD as a veg, then we really should have a great nutrition plan.

FWIW anyone can have a website, don't get freaked out about what you see on the internet, consult a professional.

In the meantime:

Veg finger foods:
Scrambled egg (if not allergic)
Very well cooked beans or lentels
cut up Broccoli: the best vegetable ever

Last edited by Timetodance; 08-20-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #20
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetodance View Post
FWIW anyone can have a website, don't get freaked out about what you see on the internet, consult a professional.
True, true... but when I read/hear things about stuff and my Ped doesn't even KNOW about it that kinda worries me. She also recommends babies be FF at 1yr if they're 20+lbs. I had to explain to her why I continued RF with my DS and the benefits of extended RFing as if she didn't know. That kinda stuff scares me. It wouldn't doubt me that my Ped is clueless on the Soy issues ppl on MDC are talking about, esp the ones where babies who are on soy-based formulas react the worst to vax....