Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #21
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone please tell me the deal with soy for infants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
issues ppl on MDC are talking about, esp the ones where babies who are on soy-based formulas react the worst to vax....
Yes, but are those babies on soy formula because they were allergic to dairy, or a diet choice by their parents? If they were more allergenic to begin with I would not be surprised if they had more sensitive reactions to vaccinations.

I know I am spoiled by my great ped, but as vegetarians we need to be more informed, and I am not sure I want my child's nutrition information just from the web. That is all I am saying.

Advertisement

Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 PM   #22
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all for your replies. I haven't spoken to our ped about it yet, at his 9 month check up we weren't eatting table foods yet so it was a nonissue. I have noticed now at 10.5 months he really really wants to be eatting finger foods. Of course, tofu and veggie burgers are perfect. Alas, they are soy. Now I'm wondering, I eat TONS of soy. Edamame, tofu, soy crumbles, Silk, soy sausages, whatever. I mean, is it bad for ME too?

I was also under the impression as well that dairy shouldn't be given until 12 months... so we haven't given cheese yet. I don't drink milk and cheese would need to be organic for me to deal. I did make him some lentils today but they just ended up on the floor... We did broccoli this weekend for the first time and he LOVED it.

I will check out mothering and TBW and maybe LLLI.org. Thanks again for your input!
Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #23
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Rice milk is generally a better choice than soy milk.
They make rice formula?

BTW DS1 was on soy formula and he was on the same growing curve as DS2 who was breastfed.
Crunchy, atheist, liberal WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Leslie 17, Seth 11, Pandora Moonlilly 6 and Nevermore Stargazer 3, married to my awesome sahd artist husband of 7 years and partner to actor/writer boyfriend for 2 years

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 08-21-2007 at 12:31 AM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #24
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For us it did include soy formula...but just for a while. We were trying to figure out what was causing his face to break out so much and so they advised us to go to lactose free, non soy formula, no oatmeal, no fragrance product for baby or us, etc. Just until we could figure it out. Months later it eventually worked itself out. Just a note too that Beechnut cereal is soy free but gerber is not.

Generally speaking though if there's no allergies involved then soy formula is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrea View Post
Would this include soy formulas? Sorry to just but in -- I put my daughter on Enfamil Soy since birth and never heard of anything bad about giving her soy but if there is something out there stating otherwise I would definately like to know.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #25
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree you almost can't trust the internet concerning anything!!! I just typed in the the dangers of soy and you get abc concerning the dangers and at the same time you type in the benefits of soy formula and you get a gazillion reason on that end so when end do you trust????

We supplemented with soy formula from the beginning b/c pedi advised it to be okay and he did fine on it. So far his growth has not been stunted but I'm sure a few years down the road something will come back to haunt us, just like all his plastic toys, crappy food and everything else he's exposed to!! Sorry to vent but I get tired of every single thing not being 'good' enough for my son.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #26
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everything in moderation.

Soy isn't "bad" it just isn't great to take in tons and tons of it, like everything else. Plenty of kids and people are just fine with taking in soy. I drink soy milk myself just because I like that it doesn't expire so quick. My boys snack on soy nuts but otherwise I don't go all out for soy. Some people just think of soy as a miracle food. I get a little spoiled since a gal at my breastfeeding class is a nutritionist (not saying she knows everything) but its nice to get her perspective on things.

Sorry to the babes with lactose intolerace, I was so relieved when that wasn't Brady's problem, although sometimes I think this sugar intolerance is a bigger PIA since he basically has to be on an AKIN's diet
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #27
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackermd View Post
I believe Soy stunts a baby's physical development/growth and unless directed by a physician shouldn't be given to infants.

*Soy formulas sold for infants are rich in trypsin-inhibitors which can stunt growth.
Didn't happen here. My oldest was on soy infant formula, then moved onto soy milk until age 3.5 when she finally outgrew her milk allergy. She was well off the charts for height on the upper side. Above 100%. They were actually concerned for a short time about her being soooo tall. She eventually leveled off, though she is still quite tall for her age.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #28
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

I read once that non-GMO soy is safer than regular soy? I have no clue why, I wish I could remember where I learned that.

Eh, I don't understand how soy is supposedly so horrible yet it is a predominant food in Japan, which has one of the highest life expectancies...?

My own personal experience makes it hard for me to believe that soy is dangerous.

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #29
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest DD has Precoscious Puberty that the Pediatric Endocrinologist at the Cleveland Clinic said was percipitated by soy. I drank it while pg (I am lactose intollerant w/each pg) and gave it to her in a cup until age 4. She began developing by age six. I had to give her Lupron Depo shots for several years to prevent her reproductive system from kicking in and causing fertility and growth problems. Then I took her to a Natriopath who put her on DIM-plus (diindolylmethane). She tested way high for junk estrogen. The DIM cleared it out and has kept her from menstruating prematurely. No more chemicals! We've also switched to organic, grass fed (not soy fed) beef and chicken (no pork).

If junk estrogen can do this to a little girl, just think of what it can do to a little boy.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #30
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So what on Earth am I suppose to give him if not soymilk? Rice milk is crazy expensive isn't it? And it's not calcium enriched, which I guess a calcium supplement could fix. Is rice milk even good for him?