Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Spitting up

Okay my dd is almost 2 and she never spit up with the exception of HORRIBLE throwing up/spit up, yes I mean projectile throwing up. Anyway my SIL just had a baby girl on Monday and she is spitting up quite a bit after she nurses. She started just kinda drooling a bit out after nursing and now she's spitting up kind of a lot. NOT tons but enough to make her worry.
I asked if she was laying baby down after nursing and she said NO that it's almost as soon as she unlatches. She's also Burping her VERY good she said. She is nursing for about 30 min on one side at this time.

I've always had a FAST nurser like NEVER over 10 min and not even 3-5 most of the time. She also never spit up much so I was hoping some one here could give me some ideas that I could use to pass a long. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Spitting up

my oldest and youngest were like that. sometimes it's just their tummies get too full, others it's a burp stuck, others it's allergies or reflux. #1 grew out of it at 6mo the dr said that it was normal and it'd quit around then, w/#3 I found that burping less often actually worked better and lessened the spitup. don't know why but it works hth
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup. Some babes are just like that. Who knows why???

My girl spits up HUGE amounts ALL the time and always has. I don't even call it spit up. I call them milk volcanoes. My pedi has known about it all along and said that it's normal for some babes as long as there aren't other problems like poor weight gain, etc.

FWIW - my girlie would even have milk volcanoes WHILE STILL NURSING! She's finally outgrown it but let me tell you there's nothing more disgusting (actually I'm sure there is but just go with me ) than having milk spit up all over your nipple and breast and bra..... you get the idea.

HTH
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine had milk volcanos too....turned out to be reflux. Putting him on Axid has helped enormously!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

reflux in infant is caused by the valve the keeps food down being immature. its typically outgrown, and rarely need more than preventative measures. i would tell her to visit her ped, and if the baby is irritable about the spitting up, then its likely damage is being caused to the esaphogus, and baby should be put on antacid meds. this isnt usually necessary though.

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
moni54
Registered Users

Is it possible that baby is eating too much? Maybe if she bf'd shorter time but more often it would help? Just an idea, I'm not a nurse or anything...
Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
rainbowbrite812
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

charlie used to spit up, but not often...max used to savor every bit of breastmilk, so no waste for him...E is a spitter, he'd spit up quite a bit after every feeding and when i mentioned it to our doc he had us try some pepcid and then zantac for reflux and it stopped it within 2 weeks or so! now E is a happier eater and everything stays in after feedings!

10% off code for Oliver's Labels, perfect for back to school! use code KBPG0808
rainbowbrite812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #8
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moni54 View Post
Is it possible that baby is eating too much? Maybe if she bf'd shorter time but more often it would help? Just an idea, I'm not a nurse or anything...
i wouldnt recommend this..no offense mama

bf babies are very good at stopping when theyre full.

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:41 AM   #9
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy21princess View Post
Okay my dd is almost 2 and she never spit up with the exception of HORRIBLE throwing up/spit up, yes I mean projectile throwing up. Anyway my SIL just had a baby girl on Monday and she is spitting up quite a bit after she nurses. She started just kinda drooling a bit out after nursing and now she's spitting up kind of a lot. NOT tons but enough to make her worry.
I asked if she was laying baby down after nursing and she said NO that it's almost as soon as she unlatches. She's also Burping her VERY good she said. She is nursing for about 30 min on one side at this time.

I've always had a FAST nurser like NEVER over 10 min and not even 3-5 most of the time. She also never spit up much so I was hoping some one here could give me some ideas that I could use to pass a long. TIA!
My son is 5 1/2 weeks, and he just started this. What I discovered is that he eats better in stages. Maybe 10-15 minutes then burp. Then let his food "settle" a bit before going the next round. He has done much better with this.

I also noticed that, when he does not immediately latch (though acts hungry), it is usually because he has gas going either north or south. Once that is taken care of, he latches better and is more settled during nursing.

Just a thought.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:13 AM   #10
apmommatnt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, definitely could be a bevy of things...is baby fussy at all? Are there any foamy or green poops? May be getting too much foremilk...If the babe is super fussy, it will most likely point to reflux or GERD. Just have your sis keep an eye on her behaviors associated with the spit up...I know that some babies just do it more than others, mine did! Good luck!
apmommatnt is offline   Reply With Quote