Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:
Need help w/my wash routine - front loader issues

I can't figure out what routine to use in my front loader. Everything was going great w/our top loader & the diaps, then we switched to a front loader & they just aren't coming out clean. They don't smell horrible, no ammonia smell, but they don't smell fresh, they smell ever so slightly poopy or stale. Ick!

I think we have just slightly hard water. I use fuzzi bunz w/micro inserts, probably 10-14 of them in a load. I'm washing w/sensiclean, about a quarter capful. I've tried more thinking maybe it wasn't enough, but they didn't smell any better after that. I tried less, but that didn't help either. I tried a different detergent made for front loaders (some sears brand fee & clear type thing) but that didn't help. I end up running 3 cycles of prewash/hotwash/double rinse to get them smelling ok. I've tried soaking them too instead of prewash but that didn't make a difference either. It's too much washing, we've been using sposies since yesterday cause I'm still working on the current load!!! What is wrong??

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
autumnlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help w/my wash routine - front loader issues

Hmmm, I've only used a front loader so I can't compare to a top loader...but I think my dipes smell okay.

This is what I do - run a cold pre-soak cycle
and then do a warm wash with extra rinse. I use 1 tbls Bio-Kleen liquid, seriously anymore and you will have sudsing. I have soft water in my town...so vinegar isn't recommended very often, but I find that a cup full 2x month really makes a difference. Also, Bac-out WORKS wonders...either add a teaspoon to your wash cycle or spray a few times in the washer after you have loaded your dipes (not every cycle but a couple times a week).

I have heard Tea Tree Oil works well too. Only a few drops to a cycle and probably not more than 1x to 2x week.

Best of luck!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use sportwash with my dipes and 1-2 tsp, with 6 extra rinses.......I hate my fl washer! I have to take them to my mil's to strip my diapers....my washer cant.
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #4
gr33nie
Registered Users
seller

I'm just about to post about my new washing trick, I have a front loader so check out that post!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

I have a FL and wash 21 Fuzzi Bunz at a time. I use Allen's because it's what FB recommends and I just wanted to stick with the good stuff. So far no stinkies at all and my diapers always smell good. I use 1 Tbsp.