Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Has anyone tried an unassisted homebirth on their first pregnancy?

I have talked to many women who have on their 2nd or 3rd or more pregnancies, but am yet to hear from a mama who gave birth unassisted at home with her first pregnancy.

Not to mention the difficulty I am having finding any GOOD preparation reading material for an unassisted homebirth (Trying to find a 'what to expect' kind of deal).

Any help?

Advertisement

mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
naturalbirthmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone tried an unassisted homebirth on their first pregnancy?

I know a mama on here did... LJ iirc.
Autumn ~~ Haley 12, Haven 10, Paisley 7, Sterling 5, Camden 3, Finley 1*the bathroom baby* and #7 due August 2015
I have amazing eyelashes! Wanna know how?? www.beautifullyblessedlashes.com
naturalbirthmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
lguse
Registered Users
seller

I've been reading about UC for a looong time, although I'm only 20 weeks along with my first.

I think reading and reading birth stories is the best way to prepare. I'm on a yahoo group about UC called c-birth. You should definitely check that out if you haven't already. Lots of good info.

I'd really love to UC, but my dh is pretty adamant about having a midwife here. If everything goes well, he's okay with not calling her, but I just don't know how realistic that is.

Best of luck to you! I'll look forward to reading your birth story if you post it!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first baby was unassisted...and I don't regret it at all..!!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2LivandNoah View Post
My first baby was unassisted...and I don't regret it at all..!!
Can I ask what you did to prepare? We've been taking an array of classes and are debating enrolling in a 12 week bradley program that would bring us up to the birth.

DH doesn't read so classes are sooo much better for him, as well as videos so we've been watching plenty.

Do you have a birth story mama? Link? I realize it was a while ago
Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know a few people who have (on other boards), but only the ones mentioned on this board. Have you looked into a midwife? I know they're pretty pricey out here and all we can get in IA is 'med-wives'. I know of some good websites and books, but I doubt there are any classes you could go to. I don't think anyone would teach a class (esp in IA) that would advocate unassisted birth. Not a very crunchy state we live in.

I've heard great things about Bradley - I would think that would be an excellent resource for unassisted being that it encourages such a high level of daddy involvement.

I just daydream about going unassisted. I like having the midwife there with her 'trained eye' and to clean up after me while J and I enjoy the baby togeher.

BTW, your belly is looking absolutely adorable!!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um...I don't have one posted, but I'll try my best to type it out real quick for ya!

Olivia-

I was 36 weeks and 5 days when I was laughing with my mother about how I thought my water had broken that morning when in all actuality I had just leaked a little..haha...so I left my mom's house(we live right next door to them) and need to go to the bathroom. I went and when I stood up and pull panties up I felt like I peed again..and thought, oh man..I've done it again..but I sat back down and it just kept coming out, so I called my husband at work and he wasn't there, he was headed home fortunately since we had a Midwife appointment that day for my 36 week ultrasound. My mom came over and talked to me for a while and at around 3:30 I went to my appointment. They checked me and said yep, you sure did bust your water, and I wasn't dialated or effaced at all!(I was super scared about that cause I thought I was in it for the long haul at that point). Did my ultrasound(still girl!) and told me DD was estimated at around 8 lbs. 1 oz. and said she was sunny side up. Ugh..! No contractions as of yet...went home. Called my 2 girl friends that would be in attendance and my MIL. Both my friends came over around 8pm and we just hung out. At around 11pm I decided to start taking some Blue Cohosh to get things going..did a round at 11, and did another round at 12. I decided to try and go to sleep while I could. I woke up around 3:30am and started having timable contractions. My contractions started at 5 minutes apart and quickly went to 3(I jumped in the shower around 4:30 for a while..) I came out to the livingroom and tried laboring on my birth ball, bad idea. It didn't feel good to me at this point. Decided walking and leaning worked best for me and I dealt fairly well with the pain that way. At around 7:30am we decided to call my mom(who has a good bit of birth knowledge outside of the fact that she isn't a practicing midwife). I labored in my living room walking and having my hubby press on my back during those other hours not mentioned. I got in the tub about 8:15am and decided to try and see if I felt anything in there, and sure enough I could feel head at the end of my fingers...so I started pushing...!! I pushed for a while in the tub but didn't feel productive and I hated the bright lights of the bathroom(and the crowded feel it gave me.) Moved to the toilet for a few pushes...felt nice but wasn't doing much. Walked to the bed and got on hands and knees...pushed for about 30 minutes this way and did a good bit of progress here. I finally decided to lay back against one of my girl friends and did a semi recline but still upright position, as soon as I did this I felt her head start to crown. Ah..lots of pressure and about 6 pushes later, my beautiful 8 lbs(even) baby girl came out...!!(at 9:45am) I only had a super super minor tear that required no stitches and wasn't even an issue...after cutting the cord, we delivered the placenta and then I had help(make sure someone is with you at all times doing this, cause passing out is a possibility) taking a shower. I basically stood there and let DH do all the bathing. I was too pooped...Got back in bed, my MIL gave DD her first bath and we snuggled in bed and nursed. It was a hard labor(but fast) and I would gladly do it again...

We didn't do a whole lot of preparation prior cause I knew a lot of stuff. I went with what felt good during labor and had some basic knowledge of breathing and patterns, we did read some. I'm a Christian and one of the best books I read was Born In Zion which is filled with tales of births and the such..so that was an encouragement and then we just armed ourselves with the knowledge of birth itself and its machanics...Got our birth supplies at www.inhishands.com (and wal-mart!) and that was pretty much it!

We had DS at the hospital and while I don't regret his birth, I will most definitely be doing a home birth next time around and my husband wouldn't have it any other way. He thinks its awesome to be able to deliver his own children and be able to be able to do whatever we want after the delivery. So nice!!

If you have any further questions, I would gladly answer them!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

I looked into a midwife, and where I am (right by Omaha), the closest ones I liked were in Omaha... and Nebraska kills any chance of that, since they have different laws on midwifery, my insurance won't cover a Nebraskan midwife.

I figured a class was a long shot, but I gotta ask

I'll try the Bradley program then - it should lead us right up to birth with the 12 week program. I'll talk to DH about it tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom View Post
I know a few people who have (on other boards), but only the ones mentioned on this board. Have you looked into a midwife? I know they're pretty pricey out here and all we can get in IA is 'med-wives'. I know of some good websites and books, but I doubt there are any classes you could go to. I don't think anyone would teach a class (esp in IA) that would advocate unassisted birth. Not a very crunchy state we live in.

I've heard great things about Bradley - I would think that would be an excellent resource for unassisted being that it encourages such a high level of daddy involvement.

I just daydream about going unassisted. I like having the midwife there with her 'trained eye' and to clean up after me while J and I enjoy the baby togeher.

BTW, your belly is looking absolutely adorable!!
ETA: I love my belly too I just wish people would stop saying I only look 3 months. I've DEFINITELY been going through m/s, bh contrax, and being kicked everywhere for much longer

Last edited by mommytaylor; 08-22-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

MOthering has a UC forum. It is very good, lots of birth stories and support (book recs too). I was thinking about it with this baby but dh and I just don't feel comfortable with it. We have had NICU babies and we don't want to take any chances. I hope you find what you are looking for.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=306
1bigfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Mama, you rock! Reading this was very helpful! If ya don't mind, I'm relaying the story to DH tonight so we can ask any questions together.

What preparation did your 2 girlfriends go through? What about your DH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2LivandNoah View Post
Um...I don't have one posted, but I'll try my best to type it out real quick for ya!

Olivia-

I was 36 weeks and 5 days when I was laughing with my mother about how I thought my water had broken that morning when in all actuality I had just leaked a little..haha...so I left my mom's house(we live right next door to them) and need to go to the bathroom. I went and when I stood up and pull panties up I felt like I peed again..and thought, oh man..I've done it again..but I sat back down and it just kept coming out, so I called my husband at work and he wasn't there, he was headed home fortunately since we had a Midwife appointment that day for my 36 week ultrasound. My mom came over and talked to me for a while and at around 3:30 I went to my appointment. They checked me and said yep, you sure did bust your water, and I wasn't dialated or effaced at all!(I was super scared about that cause I thought I was in it for the long haul at that point). Did my ultrasound(still girl!) and told me DD was estimated at around 8 lbs. 1 oz. and said she was sunny side up. Ugh..! No contractions as of yet...went home. Called my 2 girl friends that would be in attendance and my MIL. Both my friends came over around 8pm and we just hung out. At around 11pm I decided to start taking some Blue Cohosh to get things going..did a round at 11, and did another round at 12. I decided to try and go to sleep while I could. I woke up around 3:30am and started having timable contractions. My contractions started at 5 minutes apart and quickly went to 3(I jumped in the shower around 4:30 for a while..) I came out to the livingroom and tried laboring on my birth ball, bad idea. It didn't feel good to me at this point. Decided walking and leaning worked best for me and I dealt fairly well with the pain that way. At around 7:30am we decided to call my mom(who has a good bit of birth knowledge outside of the fact that she isn't a practicing midwife). I labored in my living room walking and having my hubby press on my back during those other hours not mentioned. I got in the tub about 8:15am and decided to try and see if I felt anything in there, and sure enough I could feel head at the end of my fingers...so I started pushing...!! I pushed for a while in the tub but didn't feel productive and I hated the bright lights of the bathroom(and the crowded feel it gave me.) Moved to the toilet for a few pushes...felt nice but wasn't doing much. Walked to the bed and got on hands and knees...pushed for about 30 minutes this way and did a good bit of progress here. I finally decided to lay back against one of my girl friends and did a semi recline but still upright position, as soon as I did this I felt her head start to crown. Ah..lots of pressure and about 6 pushes later, my beautiful 8 lbs(even) baby girl came out...!!(at 9:45am) I only had a super super minor tear that required no stitches and wasn't even an issue...after cutting the cord, we delivered the placenta and then I had help(make sure someone is with you at all times doing this, cause passing out is a possibility) taking a shower. I basically stood there and let DH do all the bathing. I was too pooped...Got back in bed, my MIL gave DD her first bath and we snuggled in bed and nursed. It was a hard labor(but fast) and I would gladly do it again...

We didn't do a whole lot of preparation prior cause I knew a lot of stuff. I went with what felt good during labor and had some basic knowledge of breathing and patterns, we did read some. I'm a Christian and one of the best books I read was Born In Zion which is filled with tales of births and the such..so that was an encouragement and then we just armed ourselves with the knowledge of birth itself and its machanics...Got our birth supplies at www.inhishands.com (and wal-mart!) and that was pretty much it!

We had DS at the hospital and while I don't regret his birth, I will most definitely be doing a home birth next time around and my husband wouldn't have it any other way. He thinks its awesome to be able to deliver his own children and be able to be able to do whatever we want after the delivery. So nice!!

If you have any further questions, I would gladly answer them!