Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Has anyone tried an unassisted homebirth on their first pregnancy?

I didn't UC with my first (had no idea you could, but I would totally go back and UC now that I know what I know!). Getting educated about UC for me took reading up on Emergency Childbirth and googling "unassisted birth stories". Reading real life stories really gave me a feel for what could happen and what to do about certain issues. Dh didn't read much, just a couple of birth stories that I pestered him about. I just basically filled him in on some helpful info and prayed that I'd be with it enough to be in charge. I was, so all was well. My mom was here for the birth, but it was a surprise. She had no clue we were UCing (she thought she'd talked me out of it at 31 weeks). She had read a few things I sent her too. My birth story with dd is on another forum, if anyone wants to read it pm me.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My two friends had no prior birth knowledge outside of watching like baby story..haha..however both were willing to do what I wanted them to do and be available to even just make a sandwich or make me some hot tea...

DH only went on what I told him. He's not a reader, so I read the Born in Zion book outloud to him and then we had a copy of "what to do before your midwife shows up"(which is like what to do if your alone) even though we weren't having a midwife..haha..You can probably find one of those online, or I can probably mail one to ya!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytaylor View Post
I looked into a midwife, and where I am (right by Omaha), the closest ones I liked were in Omaha... and Nebraska kills any chance of that, since they have different laws on midwifery, my insurance won't cover a Nebraskan midwife.

I figured a class was a long shot, but I gotta ask

I'll try the Bradley program then - it should lead us right up to birth with the 12 week program. I'll talk to DH about it tonight

ETA: I love my belly too I just wish people would stop saying I only look 3 months. I've DEFINITELY been going through m/s, bh contrax, and being kicked everywhere for much longer
Yeah, not surprising. IA midwifery really.. um.. leaves something to be desired. Funny thing is, I really want to become a midwife when I'm done making my own babies, but I'm not so sure I want to do it here in IA - unless the laws change. :P Maybe I'll just educate myself and then work for trade/barter under the radar.

Only look 3mo? That's weird.. you definitely look bigger than that. Maybe your clothes just hide it all.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchPunkMom View Post
Yeah, not surprising. IA midwifery really.. um.. leaves something to be desired. Funny thing is, I really want to become a midwife when I'm done making my own babies, but I'm not so sure I want to do it here in IA - unless the laws change. :P Maybe I'll just educate myself and then work for trade/barter under the radar.

Only look 3mo? That's weird.. you definitely look bigger than that. Maybe your clothes just hide it all.
I wish you were closer to me , in a heartbeat I'd have you come out here when labor comes. I mean, I want someone who knows what's going on - but since it doesn't seem like I'm going to find that, it's UC possibly. I just cringe at the idea of a hospital. There is a birth center locally, and I figure that's the best option if all else fails... but an UC would really be amazing as long as I felt prepared emotionally and physically, kwim?

I think the 3 mo comment keeps coming from the fact that the LO sits so low - my uterus feels HUGE, but with clothing on, you really can't see that at all.
ETA: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...33#post1638833 (these show his normal sitting a bit better)

Last edited by mommytaylor; 08-22-2007 at 10:59 AM.
mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry mama. I didn't really read well enough before posting to realize what your situation was in IA. I feel like my post was insensative and not appropriate. So I removed it. I didn't know homebirth was illegal in IA! I am sorry that is the case! So anyhow, I just want to say that I hope you are able to find all of the help you need to have a safe and beautiful birth! Blessings!

Last edited by MamaJoyful; 08-23-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: I read more and realized my post was out of place. Sorry.
MamaJoyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #16
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just out of curiosity, why not have someone like a midwife? I would be too scared to not have someone with a trained eye their with me. Good luck either way.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #17
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytaylor View Post
I looked into a midwife, and where I am (right by Omaha), the closest ones I liked were in Omaha... and Nebraska kills any chance of that, since they have different laws on midwifery, my insurance won't cover a Nebraskan midwife.

I figured a class was a long shot, but I gotta ask

I'll try the Bradley program then - it should lead us right up to birth with the 12 week program. I'll talk to DH about it tonight

ETA: I love my belly too I just wish people would stop saying I only look 3 months. I've DEFINITELY been going through m/s, bh contrax, and being kicked everywhere for much longer
oh, nevermind, just read that.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #18
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's my dream birth too, Sara.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #19
moni54
Registered Users

Have you thought about a Lay Midwife? They are different than regular midwives in that their learning has been through more non traditional routes and they generally not certified. For example, my mother was one for years. She learned everything by apprenticing another midwife and from books. These are generally more laid back and would probably just "be there" if that's what you wanted them to do. And usually they get paid on a sliding scale of what your income is. My mom would answer any questions you had if you wanted. Just PM me and I'll give you her email address. She is no longer practicing, though....
Old 08-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #20
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moni54 View Post
Have you thought about a Lay Midwife? They are different than regular midwives in that their learning has been through more non traditional routes and they generally not certified. For example, my mother was one for years. She learned everything by apprenticing another midwife and from books. These are generally more laid back and would probably just "be there" if that's what you wanted them to do. And usually they get paid on a sliding scale of what your income is. My mom would answer any questions you had if you wanted. Just PM me and I'll give you her email address. She is no longer practicing, though....
That's the problem, they're not legal in IA.