Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
lguse
Registered Users
seller

How heavy is PP bleeding?

This mama cloth discussion got me thinking...

I'd like to order some for PP, but have no idea how many and for what flow I'd need them. If only the first 2 days are really heavy, and then after that is like a normal period, I don't need a bunck of super heavy pads, right? Is that the way it is? Can't I just sit on receiving blankets for the first couple days (I figure I probably won't be up and around *too* much, anyway).

I just have no clue what to expect. What do you think you'd like to have?

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
karlatta
Registered Users

Re: How heavy is PP bleeding?

I think it's different for every woman.

I hemorrhaged after birth, so I got really "cleaned out" by my doctor. My bleeding was never even as heavy as my period, and now, at 2 weeks pp, I am only having to wear a pantyliner.
karlatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
moni54
Registered Users

She must be right that it's different for every woman, because I bled like crazy for like 4 weeks. I needed super pads for that long and I've never been a heavy AF'er! I would've been scared had I not been prepared. I even had to delay my 6 week check because I was still flowing.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I was really surprised. My bleeding wasn't any worse than AF...in fact, I probably would have considered it to be lighter (although longer...but even then, after about 2-2.5 weeks I was only spotting).

Last edited by bryn76; 08-23-2007 at 03:20 PM.
1blessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I bled like a stuck pig for 6 weeks straight then on and off until 12. You just never know.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
lguse
Registered Users
seller

Wild that there's so much variation...Sounds like I need to be prepared for anything...Which of course is expensive, but what are you going to do???
Old 08-23-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bled fairly heavily for about the first 4 days with my DD and then just mild spotting for another 3-4 weeks....and I was barely bleeding at all when I left the hospital with DS and only spotted for about 3 weeks....So there is definitely a range of normal..
Old 08-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i had a c/s with dd and only bled like a week or two and it was pretty light. i think it varies, especially with a vag birth, when i had my son,(vaginal birth) i bled pretty bad for like 4 weeks.
i expected it to be the same when i had dd but it was totally different. this baby is due in about 4 more weeks so i will see what will happen this time, i want mama pads to try out but don't know what kind to get or how long or thick or what, i don't wear pads normally while not pg cause i hate to have anything rubbing between my legs..lol
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lguse View Post
Which of course is expensive, but what are you going to do???
I asked for extra pads from the hospital and used coupons for other pads.

Good luck!
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh man, mine was herendous. FYI, kindof a scary story...BUT, it's pretty rare.

The amount of blood loss right after the birth was "normal" to my Midwife, although it scared the living crap out of me. I got up to shower and had be sitting in literally a pool of blood. My DH, who is almost finished with nursing school, said he guesses I lost a couple pints! AHHHH!

Well, after I came home, I just bled a ton. Everytime I got up from sitting, or especially sleeping, it would be like a race to get to the toilet before the blood all came rushing out so fast that the pad couldnt absorb fast enough and it would go out of the underware and all down my leg. No lie.

At 3 days PP, I was in the shower and all of a sudden felt something odd "down there". When I looked, there was something hanging out. It was thick, hard and purpleish. This is about the time I screamed for my husband and was about to black out I was panicking so badly. My midwife met us in the middle of the night, and it turned out it was about a 10" long piece of my membrane, all wrapped around a huge clot the size of an orange. She said that retaining that piece was definately contributing to the heavy bleeding, and that I was lucky my body was trying to get it out and I didnt get an infection. Talk about freaky!

After that, the bleeding did let up a little, but was still heavy for the first two weeks. Then was pretty mild for another 4.5 weeks after that. And getting out and doing things would sometimes make me cramp a little and bleed more. Just my bodys way of telling me to slooooooow it down a little.

I was so confused...because I dont think Ive ever had a friend or relative tell me they bled heavily or for longer than 2 weeks max. (sigh)

Last edited by Lisa-Rachelle; 08-23-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Lisa-Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote