Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: How heavy is PP bleeding?

Mine was heavy for 2 days (I used the hospital pads) then after that it was no more than Af, which I used regular mama pads!

Rebecca wifey to Jason and Mommy to my Princess Cadence (1-20-05), Trey (10-16-07) & Erica our first homebirth arrived (11-7-10) 9lbs 4oz! & Kael our second homebirth arrived (6-22-12) 9lbs!
Mommy2Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
Registered Users

I'd be over-prepared than under.
If you're not opposed to using disposable pads, the hospital gives you a ton (ask for extra just before you're discharged). If you're doing a home birth, I'd buy can always sell the ones you don't use or save them for subsequent births.

My first vag. birth, I bled heavily for 2 weeks and continued to bleed until the day before my 6 week check up. With #2, I only bled heavily for 3-4 days and then lightly for a little under 5 weeks.

Another tip, if you have a vaginal birth, make sure you get up regularly to use the bathroom (even if you don't want to). This will help reduce the lochia coming out in clots.

Best wishes!
jesshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
My Mood:

with DD#1 I swear I should have died due to blood loss. I bled SUPER heavy for almost my whole 6 weeks before my PP appointment, and then for another week after. It was insane.

With DD#2 my midwife "cleaned me out" really good. I've had off and on light bleeding since about 2-ish weeks PP. I got huge pads nearing on adult diapers fully expecting the same as with DD#1 and it never happened.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome

well aside from clots the size of golf balls for nearly a week the bleeding wasn't bad. I used regular strength mama cloth that I just changed very frequently. Sometimes as many as 8 per day, and I kept prefolds in my underwear at night and a chux underneath me.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #15
Registered Users

Whew, I guess I really do just have to be prepared for anything. A mama who makes mama cloth recommended using preemie prefolds for the first few days, and I wanted to order some, but today I was washing all these terry washcloths that I bought and I figured that I can use some recieving blankets and sew a little "bag" to suff with a trifolded washcloth for when it's really heavy at the beginning.

I also ordered 6 pp/overnight pads, 6 regulars, and 6 liners. And I can always order more (unfortunately, being in Germany, I can't get them super quick, but oh well). My best friend is coming out around 2 weeks after the baby arrives, so maybe she can bring me more.

At least now I feel well enough prepared ;-) Thanks for sharing your experiences with me!
mama to Vivian Moon (1/23/08)
lguse is offline   Reply With Quote