Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #11
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The one thing I hate about CDing...

the only time i ever have wicking is when the insert is COMPLETELY soaked in my pockets. But that rarely happens. Even at night.

Advertisement

redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:42 PM   #12
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

That's when I have it too Angel. Maybe I just have a heavy wetter and didn't quite realize it. This morning when we wicked (which made me in frusturation post this thread lol) the insert was soaked. She wets pretty heavily in the AM when she nurses the most.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

We get some wicking too, in the legs, mainly because I use CD's under clothes. It's usually when he aps or sits for an extended period of time, like in the car, and his clothes get smushed up in the crease of his legs by the diaper. I have just learned to deal with it since it seems to be pretty common. It's usually slightly damp and I don't even change his clothes unless it's soaked Am I mean? I'd be doing laundry all day if I changed him for a small damp spot.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #14
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Tara, that sounds just like us. Carseat and exersaucer are the main culprits! I usually don't change her either lol. I'm just trying to learn to deal with it, bc like I said I'd rather have little damp spots than taking pants off to find legs covered in poop from sposie blowouts. Blech!

Definately will be trying other things though. My first wool soaker is almost done and I've got stuff coming in the mail to use with it.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:01 PM   #15
veganmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is your insert hemp? Can you wrap the hemp insert in a microfiber towel? That is a great solution. MF absorbs quick and hemp holds longer, a great combo for overnight. I like an infant prefold with a hemp insert under stuffed in my pockets. That goes all night too.

I never have had one wicking issue with my 14 mo old, ever. He has been in CD since day one. I use pockets and I use pf or fitteds with covers.

You could also fold the micro fiber towel (the dollar tree one is a perfect size as is) upfront where he needs it to absorb most...

Lisa
Old 07-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
jodi5
Registered Users

Hmmm.. I don't get wicking like that. I use prefolds trifolded in covers or fitteds and wool. I am not a pocket person so can't comment on those.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #17
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmamma
Is your insert hemp? Can you wrap the hemp insert in a microfiber towel? That is a great solution. MF absorbs quick and hemp holds longer, a great combo for overnight. I like an infant prefold with a hemp insert under stuffed in my pockets. That goes all night too.

I never have had one wicking issue with my 14 mo old, ever. He has been in CD since day one. I use pockets and I use pf or fitteds with covers.

You could also fold the micro fiber towel (the dollar tree one is a perfect size as is) upfront where he needs it to absorb most...

Lisa
We use MF inserts (mostly Nurtured Family & Nicki's). I have 3 Joey Bunz but I don't think they are broken in enough to be making a difference yet, but we're getting there on those. I've never had a night time leak or wicking w/ 2 MF inserts, so we are fine there. I plan to use the Joey Bunz when we are out for longer than normal, or in the mornings, or at nap time.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:13 PM   #18
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aimee, I had tons of problems when I first started using FBs w/ my newborn - size small. I tried every few weeks, would have awful wicking and leaks and then give up. I learned, after he was grown out of th esmalls, the mf towel trick. I have a heavy wetter too. I also use joey bunz in my FBs (and other hemp inserts in my BGs). I wrap them in the Vroom mf towels from Target and no more leaks! I do get some wicking if I leave it on too long or if he happens to wet more than normal, but leaks don't happen regularly at all anymore. Hemp is super absorbant, but its not fast absorbing. The towel catches it quick and gives the hemp time to soak it up. It totally works for us!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #19
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Well since we have 24 MF inserts...I winder if wrapping those in a MF towel would do anything. I'm not loving the hemp...takes so long to dry!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #20
jodi5
Registered Users

I don't think microfibre holds that well. I would say you either have to go with the microfibre/hemp combo or use something like a prefold as an insert. Prefolds have been the best thing for us for preventing leaks. It isn't as trim though so if you are looking for trim, put your microfibre inserts on top and your hemp underneath so the microfibre does what PP said of catching it quick so that the hemp can do its job.