Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #21
Registered Users
Re: The one thing I hate about CDing...

I just use wool and fitteds and don't have a problem with wicking.

wife to John
mom to John II, Dustin, Dorothy, Liam & baby Maggie May 08
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have this too, but only if the insert is overwhelmed or the outer pants are cotton and a little tight at the waist. I have found it is necessary to team mf with hemp. I'm with you on the drying thing. What I like the best are Hemp Babies doublers. They are so thin that I can fold them in half or thirds and put the protection right where I need it. They dry as fast as my CB micro fiber too. I also like the sherpa/bkt soakers by kissaluvs. They're a great topper for a nap. They really took care of most of my wicking issues. That being sad, my guy on a seriously long nap can wet out of anything but a fleece pocket.
Sarah SAHM to William 4/05 and Emily 6/99 and blessed wife of Hank for 12 years!
SarahJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:14 AM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:

This was me when DD was about 7 mos or so. She wicked or leaked almost all the time and I know people thought I was crazy for CDing. I too did the microfiber with hemp thing and although it worked, it got too bulky for us.

What has worked for us handsdown are BGs. I don't know if it is the CB insert, or the different fabric, but they only wick if the insert is absolutely saturated and compressed (she's sitting for a long while.)

One thing I learned once I figured out my DD's pee time (like mornings for your DD) is just to change her more often. It just became unrealistic to expect any diaper to hold her for more than an hour during her pee time.

Good luck!
M & G proud parents of Lae Lae 4/2005 traditional hospital birth, E E ! amazing home water birth 11/2009, Baby Girl another home water birth 9/2012
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #24
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington

I never have wicking with my diapers and they are both prints and solids? So I would say NO, you don't have to put up with it.

To me, it sounds like you have a heavy wetter. Maybe she is wetting the diaper so forcefully that it doesn't have time to absorb everything and it is running out of the sides. I don't think your diapers are wicking, I think they are leaking. Wicking is when the fleece pulls the wettness onto the pul and the pul slowing absorbs it.

If I had to put up with it, I honestly wouldn't cd and dh wouldn't let me. It has to be just as easy as a sposie in my house. Both in going on and in the durations between changes-usually 3-5 hours. If you want to make your diapers work better for you, I would try the extra microterry cloths, folded into thirds, and not against baby's skin. If that is too bulky, you might want to sell them and try a different kind or brand of diaper.

I hope you find something that works, you shouldn't have to change wet diapers and wet clothes.
Teresa -WAHM to 3 girls!!!

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:22 AM   #25
Registered Users

I'm astonished at the number of people who have no wicking problems ever. I am just like the original poster, get wicking (leaking?) sometimes have problems and just put up with it. I do always feel disappointed in cloth when that happens, though. I use mostly pockets, but many other different kinds of diapers and fabrics, and my DD is not a heavy wetter. Until she was over a year old, a Fuzzibunz with a preemie prefold as the only insert would last about 2 hours.

I got the most wicking (leaks? hard to know which it is) when the insert inside the pocket bunches up inside, leaving no absorbent stuff at the legholes. I also frequently trifold a prefold inside a wrap cover, and the same thing sometimes happens.
american_mama is offline   Reply With Quote