Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Interrupting. what do you do?

Interrupting has always been a pet peeve of mine and it seems to be my kids' favorite thing to do. I know it's age appropriate, but it's really driving me nuts. I really can't have even a short conversation with my DH unless the kids aren't around. The kids are 5, 4, and 2, if that helps.

Until now, not that this has been successful, we've just reminded the kids that we were talking first and they need to wait until we're done. Literally two seconds later, they'll try again. Yesterday, my 5 yr old interrupted me while I was talking to dd and I asked him to wait, and he said, "I'm talking to you first! Stop talking!"

We've tried doing the hand squeeze thing that I've read about in several GD books, but my kids just don't get the concept. I'm not sure what else to do. I know I take this way too personally, but it really, really bothers me.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Interrupting. what do you do?

DJ's 3 and it drives DH nuts too. I've been trying to remind DJ to say "Excuse me" and wait for his turn...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When he does do it right, I try to be very conscious of answering him quickly and thanking him for being so polite. Of course, five minutes later he'll come interrupt me to tell me that it's polite when you say excuse me and wait your turn to talk. I love this age! I'll be watching for other ideas
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

I completely ignore it - pretend they aren't even there, LOL. They will give up and be quiet thinking you don't hear them, and that's when I acknowledge them.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ignoring will not work here... I taught him to say excuse me and wait until its his turn (he's 3).
Old 08-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
undrthtblndrumng
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've seen other mamas do a variation of the hand squeeze where the child just places their hand on the person they want to talk to and leaves it there till they are addressed. the parent can place their hand over the childs hand as an aknowlegement. Just a thought.

edit: oh and I know it's a lot of work at first but come up with a system and in the beginning, each time your child interrupts, explain the system, walk them through the steps, first do A, then do B, and Mommy with do C or whatever, and then practice.
Amie: SAHM of BooBooBear, BudderBums, LittleMiss, and soon to be Bean #4
Married to my highschool sweetheart

Last edited by undrthtblndrumng; 08-24-2007 at 02:01 PM.
undrthtblndrumng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are actually pretty good about saying polite words, but they don't quite understand the policies behind them, LOL. They all say "Excuse me" but don't get that they should wait until someone addresses them. They just start talking
Old 08-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
MammaLee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Boy, I could use some advice in this department!
Old 08-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #8
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

I sooooo wish that I knew the answer for this one! Malana is 6 and we have been struggling with her interrupting for THREE YEARS! It drives me nuts! We have taught her to say excuse me, which she does...but then she think that means you should listen to her because she was polite and said excuse me. We tried the ignoring thing too but that didn't work. Honestly I think that we just have to constantly remind her each and every time that she is interrupting and that doing so is rude. I hope this battle ends soon.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
Rocket
Registered Users

My Mood:

I saw my neighbor do this and I think I'll copy her.
She trained her DDs (older one is 5 and younger one is 3) to raise one hand and another hand COVER their mouth when they want to speak. It seems to work really well. I'll definitely give it a try... esp now my DD is 3.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A 5 yr old should grasp the concept of not to talk when someone else is talking. You may want to be a bit more firm or take a different approach than you have been. If my 3 yr old (soon to be 4) interupted me when I was speaking with another adult, he would know immediately that he was wrong, he has not interupted in at least the last 6 months. I would say somewhere about 3 or 3.5 the concept is deeply ingrained in their heads if they are told. They know that when I put my finger up and look at them when I am on the phone it is time to be quiet and it won't be long until I am talking with them.
However... If you don't make sure to come back to "their" level and talk to them, they will not quit interupting, from what I have seen, EVER! That is just from experience, my children are told and reminded at a pretty early age, not in anger and I do simply finish my sentence and turn my TOTAL attention to them when they are very young, but by the time the two older ones turned 5, they knew it was rude and I would take the amount of time they chose to take from me to let them know it is rude. - again, not in a mean way, but just saying, you interupted me, now you will have to wait for a while longer because you chose to do this. (for instance I could be talking to dh about something and one of the boys felt what they had to say was more important than what I was saying, they will have to wait until my conversation is finished as well as if anyone else was waiting, unless of course its an emergency)
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote