Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Car seat help!

My DS (23 mos.) is using a Britax marathon (forward facing) in the rear center seat of our SUV. He has managed to learn to pull up the velcro flap where the shoulder strap adjustment lever is, pull up on the lever, lean forward and completely loosen the straps. I safety pinned the velcro flap closed but now he just pulls up on the seat cover until the lever is uncovered and does the same thing. I have had to pull over while driving many times to get the straps secure again. I am about to pull my hair out!!!!

I have called Britax and they have logged a complaint, but they have no suggestions other than keeping him occupied with toys, snacks, etc. Believe me, we have tried that!!!

He is a very bright, resourceful, and stubborn child and at less than 2 years old, expecting him to leave it alone and just sit in his seat is IMO crazy.

What do I do? I don't want to have to buy another seat. I bought this one thinking that he could use it up to 65lbs and for several more years. I know that some of the new Britax models have a push button (which is very hard to push and requires more strength than DS probably has) instead of the lever. Has anyone had these same problems or know of a solution? Thanks!

mama to J & A

Old DS Feedback
vfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Yarn Snob
My Mood:
Re: Car seat help!

Do you adjust the harness often? If not, maybe you could tuck the strap underneat the seat and that could hold it in place... I know with the way my seat is installed, if the strap was under the seat, there's no way it would budge.

My DS from about 18 months figured out how to unbuckle the harness... trust me THAT was a challenge!
Sarah photographer mom to Seth (7), Kaia (3), and my lucky little Odin born 7/7/07!
EasterBunz is now part of Tiny Lady Cooperative!
{my crafty blog} {my photo blog} {my flickr}
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
Registered Users

I don't know if this would help
Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Registered Users

The push button might be harder for him, although It will be a pain to have to buy another seat. I have heard of kids doing this with the Marathon before. I will try to check on my other sites to see if there was any advice on safe things you can do to help. The cover for the buckle isn't going to help cause it is the lever he is releasing. I will see what I can find. Try PMing RacenZanesmom also. She has more experience as a tech then I do and might have another suggestion.
Jen, Wife to my army man, mom to 4 Kidlets
Ask me about your car seat questions, I am a child passenger safety instructor!
Dsunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote