Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
milk allergy question

ok i have a question...i think my dd is allergic to milk but not sure if she is and if she is what she can drink...

my husband and FIL are both lactose-intolerant - BAD! and my ODD is also lactose intolerant. when she was on formula she could drink the lactose-free milk (she is also allergic to soy) and is now on lactose-free milk but she can drink skim milk in a pinch (like at grandma's there is no lactose-free so she can drink about 2 glasses of skim without a problem). so now when the baby was born we tried about every formula you can imagine. i breastfed her for about 2 months but then my supply just wasn't enough for her so we started formula. we finally got her on soy and she was okay - very constipated but other than that okay. so now she is being switched to milk rather than formula and i am trying to figure this out. i first tried rice milk but she didn't like the taste so i tried soy and she was so constipated there was no way she could stay on soy milk. so i tried the lactose-free and she has been okay but she has completely liquid poop (sorry! tmi i know)...not the nice stuff but i mean like total water. and she is throwing up all the time...it isn't a lot but it is almost constant. she drinks a bottle and throws up and then throws up again and again...small amounts but gross stinky puke and then she has to get changed again and again. that isn't a big deal i guess but i am worrid about her poor tummy. she has pyloric stenosis as a real little baby but we haven't had problems in months and months with her throwing up like this. it is really gross and my pregnant sense of smell can't really take it...and her poor tummy i talked to the doctor and she said maybe goat's milk. so i bought some but holy cow it is expensive!! if it works i will buy it but anyone know anything else...or what else i might be able to try?? thanks mamas - sorry this is so long and jumbled - i am tired and trying to figure this out!

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: milk allergy question

My dd is completly allergict to milk and soy. First know that babies are not allergict to lactose, its the actual milk protien , so lactose free dosn't help them at all, so be carefull. Read labels! I use the unsweetened vanilla almond milk, its soooo yummy! I can even drink it alone! All the other ones i had to cover w/ chocolate, or sweet ceareal, tyr whole foods, the have it there i know. hth!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
BambooMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD gets massive diarrhea when she has milk but almond milk has been perfect for her, and she really likes it. It's a nut (obviously), so if you suspect that your DD might be likely to have a nut allergy, you may want to just be very observant when you give it to her the first time. But it's really good! Good luck.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well i don't have reason to think dd is allergic to nuts...do most grocery stores carry almond milk? or where would i be able to get it? thanks!

oops ETA i see that you said whole foods...i don't know if we have one around here...is there any way i might be able to check if we do?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/index.html

try that, or try calling local natura health food strores.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

this is the kind i get.....http://www.bluediamond.com/retail/breeze/index.cfm
Old 08-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have some friends that have found powdered goats milk at their local health food stores, though I don't know any in my area.

My oldest dd has just gone non-dairy and he's been drinking rice milk. We can buy it by the case at Good Earth here and he likes it pretty well.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the link! i will have to hope there is one near me off to check this info out!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our Earth Fare Market also carries Oat Milk and the Nature's Pantry here carries Hemp Milk. So, there's lots of options out there. We have used them all since ds is sensitive to milk.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
weddell
Registered Users
seller

That really sounds like a milk allergy. My dd is allergic to milk (has been tested by an allergist) and the only time she had milk she threw up much like you describe. Keep her away from all dairy including cheese, yogurt, etc. Most kids grow out of a milk allergy, but if they keep getting exposed they are less likely to outgrow it! We do soy milk, but I know you said that won't work for you. We can't do almond milk because my dh is allergic to nuts, but if that's not a problem, I would try that rather than goat milk.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote