Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Re: Tired of Night Nursing...

First off, I will say that my 3.5yo JUST started sleeping through the night consistently about a month ago; he nightweaned 2 years before. So even if you wean her, you might just find that you're up ANYWAY and have one less tool to calm her down with...I learned the hard way.

My almost 22 month old is still nightnursing/cosleeping; it's getting uncomfortable with being pg though so I'm working on cutting back.

This is what has helped lessen nightnursing at various times with both boys:

Break the need-nipple-in-mouth-to-sleep association. I started by breaking suction with my finger AFTER they were asleep; you can keep a finger in the mouth for a second and slowly release pressure. Once they stayed asleep with that; I started doing it earlier on, so they were sleepy but not asleep, kwim? This helped a lot, and only took a week or two of consistency.

Juggle sleeping arrangements - maybe have your crib sidecar, so she's close for when she needs to nurse but has her own space? Once she's asleep, move her over...she might wake less to nurse. I'd do this AFTER you've done the above suggestion, though. Or put something between the two of you at night, eg a small firm pillow, so she's not as close to the yummy smelling milk.

I'm not sure what you wear at night, but having a shirt on helps a lot...if I'm topless, they'd be nursing ALL NIGHT...hiding things helps a lot.

Oh, finally, the biggest thing for me was working on my own attitude...when I resent the nursing, it seems worse...if I just try to expect it and not worry about it, it's less of a big deal and I rest better. Surrendering the "right" to a full night's sleep was HUGE for me years ago, and continues to help.

I'll keep thinking for ya...check out "The Baby Sleep Book" by Dr. William Sears (the NEW version, not the old one) for TONS of suggestions; also "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

((hugs))

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #12
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, BF'ing is definately not a form of BC. My friend got pregnant 3 months post partum because she thought nursing was a form of BC. You definately need to use something else.

I read in the No Cry Sleep Solution is to not let them associate sleep and nursing. Watch for cues that your DC is almost asleep and remove your nipple while they are barely awake. That way they can fall asleep without the nursing part.

Also, Your DS may be going through a life change, like teething or separation anxiety so there waking up a lot at night may eventually pass (although not soon enough)
loni1090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
SewWhatMama
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I am with you all, my son was 7 months yesterday and he still wants to nurse several times a night. We found he is allergic to the rice and oatmeal, he throws up when he has it, so he has nothing that helps to keep him 'full'. I tried other veggies or fruit, but then it seems he wakes up gassy in the middle of the night. So I guess my only option is to keep on nursing. I love B******, but like you all I NEEEEED SLEEP!
SewWhatMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #14
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I have an 11 month old that still will night nurse but I started her on baby food (the thicker stuff) when she was about 8 months. I had started my period again when she was 8 months so it didn't phase me a bit about using nursing to postpone my cycles. And since it came back, I figured I might as well get some sleep! (We also have deployment induced abstinance going on, so I'm not getting pregnant until July! ) So I started feeding her some thicker foods at dinner time, gave her a bath, then about 30 minutes before bedtime, I'd sit and nurse her. She'll then sleep from about 830pm to around 430am. So if I go to bed at a reasonable hour, I'm pretty certain of at least 5 hours of sleep, if not more. 9 months is a good age to get them started on foods if you haven't tried that yet.

I'm totally with you on the sleep though. My second child would get up like clockwork at 0330 until she was 18 months old. It took my husband going to the field for a week to get me to get her to sleep through the night. Because daddy wasn't there to get up to get her out of her crib and put her in our bed... she'd fuss for about a minute, realize no one is coming to get her and she's lay back down and go back to sleep. This wasn't blood curdling screams either.. it was those baby "ah... uh?.. ahh..." and then you get the "realization ah", hear a little rustling and she was asleep.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
instinctivemama
Registered Users

Just wanted to say...something that really helped me out...

A friend told me that babies aren't able to get themselves to sleep at night til about 2 years old. When she explained that to me, and the fact that children don't sleep through the night until about 2 years old, it really took a load off because I didn't feel pressured any more to night-wean or CIO...it didn't feel 'right' to me anyway.

Lo and behold, all of my kids have started sleeping through the night by 2 years and I didn't have to do a THING. Most of them started it around 18 months!

Of course, I had to go and get pregnant again...so my son is 2 and I had another one last week (daughter)...so I won't get any good sleep for 2 years. I tell you, after 9 kids nursing isn't *nearly* as fun as it used to be...but it's still better than staggering out of bed at 3am!
instinctivemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:54 PM   #16
Cog
Banned

well....as far as the BC goes, not so sure I'd count on BF'ing for it.

Anyway, I sleep with just a nursing bra on and DD is fine next to me. She nurses when we go to bed and when she wakes up. Sometimes she does wake at night, but not every night and I find that it's only if I am too far away from her.

I say as long as she can smell her cow, she's happy
Cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:28 AM   #17
Kele
Registered Users

My Mood:

I too would like to night-wean, but I'm much too lazy. And reading some of these has made me realize again that it may be awhile - and that's OK!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:53 PM   #18
Mommameyer00
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to add to the BC comments. Once you have started the child on solids, using EBF for BC is no longer an option.

You can night-wean and still co-sleep, however, I wouldn't say you would get more sleep. LOL

Perhaps, she is going though a growth spurt or teething? You said, she use to sleep almost though the night and now it's changed. Also, if you decide to night-wean make sure you stick with it because it will be twice as hard the 2nd time around unless she is ready to night-wean.

We are facing this now. We decided to night-wean at 14months, it lasted about 2 weeks then I gave in because I was getting no sleep! I firgure she will wean when she's ready.

HTH!

~Kristi~Wife to Matt, Mom to Katy-8 and Arianna-4 and Gabriel-6/15/09
Mommameyer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:39 AM   #19
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First of all, congrats on your current success with Breastfeeding!

As for the night nursing, I have found that just nursing works most of the time... other times, like for a couple days while teething at 6 mos, we had some luck with substituting a pacie for the nipple after a while... Although it's uncommon for non-pacie kids to take pacies, ours did for those few bad teething nights...

also if this night-waking is partially caused by teething, you might have some luck with Hylands Natural Teething Tablets...

one last thing, if you are looking for another "natural" bc plan, I'd recommend the diaphram, as there are no hormones attached... and although it's not 100% (neither are hormones), it's usually a more reliable form of bc then nursing... from what I understand, you have to nurse every three hours around the clock and offer no other foods for breastfeeding to be bc & even then it doesn't work for everyone! Sorry if this is tmi! And if your family chooses natural child spacing, just ignore me!!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:52 AM   #20
instinctivemama
Registered Users

We use a combination of Fertility Awareness Method and the Billings Method as natural birth control. We've never had issues with it and I've gotten pregnant on several other more 'normal' forms of birth control.

Of course, you can't use FAM until you start your cycle again...
instinctivemama is offline   Reply With Quote