Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Rannensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Arrow Is this worth it?

Okay, heres the deal.
I started out nursing DD, but not exclusively (She was in NICU and they gave me a choice of giving her a bottle or a feeding tube ) So I chose the bottle. Which dropped my supply, even with fenugreek and prescription lac. meds. I wasn't educated enough on the subject and believed everything the drs told me. Needless to say by the time she was 4 months she would scream every time I offered her the breast, and the process was so heart breaking that I gave up.
I've regretted it every day, even though with the meds I was eventually put on I'd have had to wean anyway. She's now 14 months and I don't expect that she'll be nursing again, but I was thinking of trying to relactate enough to pump and give it to her in a sippy. What do you guys think of it? Is it weird for me to consider it? I was looking online and there was something called Motherlove more milk blend and it has good ratings. Would that be a good choice?

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is this worth it?

First of all, I feel your pain about your LO being in the NICU. Ds was born 8 weeks early and was in the NICU for 3 weeks. Luckily, he took to bfing on his 2nd day. But anyways, I dont think your crazy for wanting to give your LO breastmilk!!!! I think you should do what makes you and your LO happy. If you really feel that you would like to relactate and give your milk to your LO, then go for it!!! It may take some time and hard work but I think you can do it. Try some Fenugreek or some oatmeal to help get your supply going. I prefer nettle root to fenugreek b/c fenugreek didnt work for me. But just go for it, start pumping!!! Goodluck mama!
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
camperjen
Registered Users
seller

that Motherlove stuff is really good. More Milk does NOT contain Fenugreek (which gives me digestive issues) and More Milk Plus DOES have it as well as the other stuff. I use More Milk when AF comes (my cycles came back at 4.5 months pp). I would definitely suggest it.

http://www.motherlove.com/products_extracts.php

I think you're totally awesome to want to do this for your daughter. After my 2nd son was born (my 1st son weaned at 8 months) I would often give my 1st son bm in a sippy or even a bottle if he was having belly issues.

Good luck and GO FOR IT!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

I think it's GREAT of you to want to do that. Breastmilk is the best milk for toddlers too, however it would be a VERY long hard process and you should be proud of yourself for trying even if it doesn't work out. I think if I were you I'd try it and see how things go and like I said if it doesn't work you can be happy that at least you tried, kwim? good luck. WTG momma for caring so much about your little one!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
Rannensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What would you guys suggest as far as pumping? I don't have a ton to spend, but I know the pricier ones tend to work better? Also, what time frames? I feel like all the advice I got from the NICU drs was bullcrap :P
Thanks mommas
Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I use the motherlove more milk and it works great !!

Def get a double electric pump and I would say about every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes to try and get started...once you have milk again you can cut back to every 4 hours but in the beginning I would try to make it as frequent as possible

Good
luck Momma!!
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #7
Rannensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof7 View Post
I use the motherlove more milk and it works great !!

Def get a double electric pump and I would say about every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes to try and get started...once you have milk again you can cut back to every 4 hours but in the beginning I would try to make it as frequent as possible

Good
luck Momma!!
What do you think is the best brand? We're on a $19,000/year income so I can't just spend $2000 on a pump, but I want something that's going to do the job.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

If you are going to try to restart making milk from nothing... I would rent a hospital grade medela pump. You will need a good pump and these are unaffordable for us common folk to buy... so renting is the best option.

Here's a link for some more info on rebuilding your milk supply: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html
Old 08-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #9
babymakes3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out WIC or the hospital. They should have a really good pump you can rent. WIC gives them free to use if you're on WIC. :-)
Or go back NICU or the lc at the hospital and ask for a list of places/people that rent out pumps. When CJ spent some time in NICU they gave me a list of people and places that had them for rent.

I think its awesome what you're doing! Good luck!

Kelly
babymakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Rannensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info mommas! I have a Medela PIS arriving tomorrow and I am super excited to start this thing! I've been getting neutral FB from family/friends. Haven't even told DH about it yet. (He's in Iraq, so he wouldn't know the difference anyway.)