Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Being rubbish at sewing :(

I keep screwing up. This is pathetic.

I'm just whining.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
PurpleMushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Being rubbish at sewing :(

Practice makes perfect.
Machines that feed well also make your sewing better, I had to fight with my old machine to keep it straight, with my new one I just let it do all the work. I'm smitten.
PurpleMushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMushie View Post
Practice makes perfect.
Machines that feed well also make your sewing better, I had to fight with my old machine to keep it straight, with my new one I just let it do all the work. I'm smitten.
Totally what she said. Hang in there mama! We were all horrible when we started!!

TakaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The biggest mistake I see is people who start with projects above their skills. If you have not spent time learning the basics doing simple things like napkins you should not be starting with a knit ruffled dress.

If you have started a project that is beyond your skills at this point, stop working on it and do something simple until you master the skill you need.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
PamperedPoshMama
Registered Users

I so feel ya. I still stink at sewing. It makes me mad because I grew up with a mom who could sew herself off of a desert island if she needed to, lol. I wish I inherited her ease at it, but I didn't. I can do very very basic stuff, but I tend to be more of a fabric collector than a seamstress, haha. Find some super easy projects to practice your skills on, then try again.
PamperedPoshMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When I first started, I spent more time using my seam ripper than I did my sewing machine
Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dear long time sewing friend said to me when I was complaining about this: A seam ripper is a seamstresses best friend... . I use mine often!
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep trying. I'm probably worse than how you think you are and stopped awhile ago! I'm just working on simple stuff for now that only requires "straight" invisible lines and it's not that great but it's useful and fun. I only did simple things like wipes when I had the sewing machine out since I was (and still am) very much a beginner. And I think I might 'need' a better machine to get back into it, too... I probably made the wipes/diaper inserts about two years ago and they are far from perfect but they are still in use!

What are you trying to make?
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Practice practice! I know it's really hard... but whenever I am learning a new skill, how to sew a different fabric etc, I always always look at the manual, and go watch a tutorial on how to do something. I have been sewing solidly for a few years now and most people around me think I am an 'expert' but really I only know how to do the things that I need to do, and I do those things very well. But I am no expert in complicated stuff. It takes years of practice and trying different techniques to figure it all out.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been sewing for a few years now, and the biggest issue I have is when I try to take on too big of a project at once. For instance, when I was sewing my DD's trainers. If I tried to sew more than 2 a day, I just got really overwhelmed and my sewing suffered. Obviously, it is more efficient to just do all the steps on all the diapers at once (and I did cut them all out at once), but when it came to sewing them up, I found my quality to be better when I didn't feel so "rushed". I could never sew for pay, that's for sure! Too much pressure.