Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
lilypop'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! Weird & Stubborn Diaper Rash

Ds has had an unusual diaper rash for 2 days now. At least, it's unusual to me. He very rarely gets a red booty, and just about any cream I have on hand clears it right up. He was on antibiotics 2 weeks ago and got a bad ring of fire rash from having scary rx poops, but even that cleared up.

Now he has an entirely red bum, like if you make a circle with both your hands, that size. It's slightly raised, like one giant welt. And it's very hot, feverish. I've been using every cream we have with no results at all. He hasn't been sitting around in poo, and it's not like a poo rash at all. You know the kind, where the rash matches the shape of the poo, lol. It's not that. It's just red all over, not individual bumps or rough patches. I've even made a batch of emergency cream. It's Mylanta, Lotriman, regular diaper cream, and baby powder all mixed together to make a paste. but even this isn't doing anything. My poor baby's booty is on fire! Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

He also hasn't been sleeping well, but doesn't have a fever (aside from his bum that is). He may be teething, but I don't know if that's relevant.

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Kenziesmommy0707
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! Weird & Stubborn Diaper Rash

My daughter is the SAME way right now..whelting up and soooo red..she is a mess to wipe off and clean up and she is getting her molars right now and the doctor said that that is the cause of it...

He told me to quit using sposie wipes. Make sure you change immediately...which can be a pain..dd pees a ton, and let it air out as much as possible.

Good luck and I will be watching this thread also.

<<Asked for account to be closed.>>
Kenziesmommy0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
lilypop'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm. So maybe teeething is the culprit. He only has his 8 front teeth at 17 mo! I've been trying to change him asap and letting him hang out at home in just a prefold so I'll know right away and he can get some air. I also quit using sposie wipes a few days ago and have been using cloth wipes and some ribbits heiny wash. But I decided to stop using that too bc I was afraid it was irritating the rash. It contains some fragrance. So plain water and soft wipes are my friend right now. thanks and good luck with your dd's poor bum!
Old 08-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you're not opposed to it, add some OTC hydrocortisone 1% cream into your paste and it'll help take away the inflammation (heat, redness, swelling). Just don't use more than 4 times a day.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
lilypop'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not opposed! I'll try anything, thanks! I had thought about adding some triple antibiotic ointment. Any thoughts on that? When I had BF issues (cracks/bleeding) I used a mixture of antibiotic ointment, hydrocortisone cream, and lotramin.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It might help but them mix of the lotrimin, hydrocortisone, reg diaper cream and powder is what we always used when I was a Peds Nurse Supervisor and I still use it on my patients now (as an NP)
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
aliks
Registered Users
seller

is it yeasty at all? My son got a yeast rash a week after he was on antibiotics for the strep that triggered his damn diabetes. The pedi said it was from the antibiotics I can't remember what it looked like but it cleared up from whatever he told us to get-I think it was the same thing for athletes foot?
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
lilypop'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I'll mix in some hydrocortisone, thanks for the idea! I'm not sure if it's yeasty. I can't remember what yeast rashes look like. Does it sound like one? I've got the lotriman in the mix though just in case.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
aliks
Registered Users
seller

I just remember with the yeast rash, it was stubborn and that's when I mentioned it to the pedi at a checkup. I think if you google it some images will pop up. I've also heard that breastmilk can help yeast rashes too.
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't sound like a yeast rash to me. My girls are really prone to them, and antifungal (lotrimin) always clears it up with in a day or so or at least noticeable progress.

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote