Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
karikos
Registered Users
seller

How much yarn for longies?

Just curious, if I were to buy yarn and have someone make me a custom order, how much would I need to buy for newborn sized longies?

And how much for a custom hat?

Also, any recommendations for a WAHM that could/would be able to make such an order?

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Carolyn from Hooked By Carolyn is an amazing knitter and one of my favorite people in the world. She will do YYMN or her yarn. One skein colorway 4oz plus one trim 2oz is enough for newborn.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much yarn for longies?

Thanks! Do online yarn sellers usually sell in 2oz or would I be better off buying two 4 oz? And the trim could be a different color?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

A lot of colorways are sold with a matching trim. The 4/2 combination of colorway/trim is really common as is 8/4. You could always just do any combo on your own, but if I'm buying a colorway I generally try for the matching trim because the dyer is the one matching, and it's not all based on my interpretation of colors on my computer screen. Solids can be great too though! Do you have something specific in mind?
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
karikos
Registered Users
seller

This was what I was looking at: http://www.mosaicmoon.com/item_70/Ir...wash-Yarns.htm

But I don't know too many other places to look. I'm definitely a wool newbie, lol.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

IME, a 100 gram skein (about 3.5 oz) is plenty for a newborn size pair of longies and should have enough extra for a beanie type hat. If you're doing a colorway plus trim, there should definitely be plenty for a newborn size hat. I knit customs and have slots available. Here are some examples of my work: www.flickr.com/yarnjess. PM me for pricing and whatnot if you're interested.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karikos View Post
This was what I was looking at: http://www.mosaicmoon.com/item_70/Ir...wash-Yarns.htm

But I don't know too many other places to look. I'm definitely a wool newbie, lol.
That is pretty yarn, but it is superwash it typically isn't recommended for woolies. Another option is to look for knitters that have yarn you can pick from if you aren't set on needing certain colors. They can help you pick yarn that will work too.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStripe View Post
That is pretty yarn, but it is superwash it typically isn't recommended for woolies. Another option is to look for knitters that have yarn you can pick from if you aren't set on needing certain colors. They can help you pick yarn that will work too.
What about this one (on non-superwash yarns Gaia Organic Worsted and Licorice Twist Worsted)? http://www.mosaicmoon.com/item_71/Ir...wash-Yarns.htm

I'm still unfamiliar with the difference in the yarns but I'll stay away from the superwash ones now that I know. TY!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
IME, a 100 gram skein (about 3.5 oz) is plenty for a newborn size pair of longies and should have enough extra for a beanie type hat. If you're doing a colorway plus trim, there should definitely be plenty for a newborn size hat. I knit customs and have slots available. Here are some examples of my work: www.flickr.com/yarnjess. PM me for pricing and whatnot if you're interested.
Awesome, thank you! Still looking around to see what I would want but will contract you when I'm sure/have made a decision!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

One 4 oz skein should be plenty for a newborn size, unless you want trim. You should be able to order the trim in 2 oz. For a newborn, most people prefer BFL or Gaia for the softness. Carolyn at hooked by Carolyn has awesome designs. Angela at fairyblue can dye you yarn and knit it too.

Last edited by Teddyandnick; 08-25-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote