Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need help with first day of school

I need help. I am so stressing over DD going to kindergarten. She's behind developmentally, and just turned 5, and I am so scared she's going to get lost in the shuffle, get misdirected somehow, miss her stop getting off the bus, etc. etc. etc. Experienced moms, please comfort me!
(BTW, she's a foster child, so I cannot homeschool her or keep her back a year, as much as I think that would be best. I don't get to make those type of decisions - the state is her legal parent, and she's 5, so she must go to K.)

Advertisement

Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Need help with first day of school

have you spoken to the school, this way they can have someone wait for her to get off the bus and walk her to class and back to the bus after school is over?
my ds just started kindergarten on monday and is doing better than i expected.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
LushyLu
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama. Most schools allow parents to walk kindergarteners to their classrooms, even greet the teacher and sometimes put the backpack away. Have you asked the school if you're allowed to walk her to her room yet?

If she rides the bus, stay with her and talk with the driver for a moment and let the driver know that she's a quiet kindergartener and see if they'll keep an ear/eye out for her. It really helps to accquaint yourself with the teachers, bus drivers, crosswalk folk, and the like. They're often versed in the needs of the fresh kindergartener.

Good luck, she'll do fine!
LushyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
o3b
Registered Users

Our bus drivers were great - they would not let a child off the bus unless an approved adult was there to meet the bus. If there we more than one child getting off, that might have made it harder for them to tell if someone who was supposed to be there, was. (We were the only ones at our stop, so it was obvious to our driver.) Around 2nd or 3rd grade, they asked if you were OK for them to let the kids off the bus w/o an adult (I was not OK with it).

The kindergarteners at our school had to wear a necklace for the bus driver that had their info on it. They used that for the first month or two. Also, all the kinders sat in the first rows. For afternoon K, the school had a 5th grader come to the classroom to help the K-er get to the right bus.

Sometimes the kids DID get put on the wrong bus, especially when a child first started (even mid-year), but the drivers were really good about taking care of that child.

I've had the bus be miserably late, so I've been there on how scary it can feel.
o3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
o3b
Registered Users

And definitely make a connection with the teacher before school starts.
o3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our daughter was much like you described. I was so worried. I was very honest with her teachers and they were great with keeping me in the loop. She did take a while to adjust and had some tears over work that was too challenging, but she loved being with the other children and I don't know that sending her was the wrong thing. In the end because she went, they found out she needed extra help. The help would have come a year later had a held her back. Hugs. Take good comfort in knowing that there will be lots of other "young" fives. Countless studies show that most children even out emotionally and accedemically by third grade. Our daughter starts third grade in a week, so I don't know if will be true for her, but it is well documented.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, I'm feeling better now.
I talked to the teacher on meet-the-teacher night, and I plan on keeping in contact with her. I plan to meet the bus driver in the morning.
Thanks
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote