Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
lots2learn
Registered Users
seller

another diaper sprayer question

Are there instructions somewhere on how to make one yourself just buying the parts? If so, has anyone done this and how did it work? Trying to decide whether I should buy one or we should make one ourselves.
Wish I got in on the co-op!
Thanks!

Advertisement

lots2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:33 AM   #2
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: another diaper sprayer question

I've never tried this...just passing on the info. I've received.

Parts List:
(1) standard kitchen sink sprayer
(1) 3way angle valve [1/2" copper (compression or sweat) or 1/2" FIP x 3/8" OD x 3/8" OD (both 3/8" are compression type)]
(1) 12" length of 1/4" L (3/8" OD) copper tubing
(1) 3/8" x 1/4" Tube to MIP connector w/ insert
(1) teflon tape

Tools List:
crescent wrenches or open end wrenches
propane torch and solder kit (optional see steps 1 and 2)

Installation Steps:
1. Determine the type of valve used for your toilet supply. It will most likely be a compression fitting or a sweat fitting. If it is a sweat fitting skip to step 7. If it is a compression fitting see step 2.
2. Turn off water to the whole house. Either at the city water meter or the gate valve where your water line enters your house. Flush the toilet and remove the exisiting compression nuts on the toilet supply tube (top and bottom); be careful not to bend the tube out of shape if it is the rigid style. Have a shallow tray underneath to catch the water. Set aside.
3. Loosen the compression nut on the copper tube coming out of the wall and remove the old valve body. (Leave the nut and compression ring in place). Install the new 3way valve body using the old nut, hand tighten only. Re-install the toilet supply line and hand tighten all the nuts. Once you have everything lined up and fitted properly tighten everything with the wrenches.
4. Assemble the sprayer threaded end (female threads) to the Tube to MIP connector. (use teflon tape on threads). Slide on nut and compression ring and then insert end of tubing into other end of connector and tighten nut. Carefully bend copper tubing (avoiding kinks) into a 90 degree sweep.
5. Slide on the nut and compression ring onto the open end of the tubing (opposite the sprayer). Insert tubing into the remaining compression stem of the 3way valve. Tighten the compression nuts.
6. Turn off supply valve at toilet prior to turning on the house water. Open the supply valve and check for leaks. The sprayer may leak slightley until the gaskets fully seat, but this will stop in a couple of days.
7. Drain down system by opening a nearby faucet and letteing the water run out of the valve. Have a shallow bucket ready. Remove old valve and install new valve using the torch. Align the valve body so the old supply tube will fit properly. Proceed to step 4
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote