Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
BrittBBT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Vaxing or not in NC... anyone??

I live in North Carolina. I have heard that there is no delaying vax... you have to do them all or not at all. DS is 14 months and due for more shots next month. NC has really screwed up policies regarding this kind of stuff and I'm not very good at standing up for myself.

Anyone know what the rules are for vaxing here? This is the last round of vax's for awhile and DS has never had a reaction besides a red lump at the injection site. I'm just trying to jump on the wagon... it's so confusing, the docs say one thing, some parents say another... AHHH!

Advertisement

Brittany-mama to a bunch!Wife to Joseph Missing Zahra and Jayden my NCC and SAHM to Evan (5) Gavin & Bryce (3) and Avery (10.27.11)My planned UC, Daddy-caught Boobie Monster! 8lbs, 20'' long and 14'' head circum.
BrittBBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vaxing or not in NC... anyone??

IDK what the laws are but my DS has not had to get his shots, he did get DTAP last feb but they aren't forcing me to get chicken pox, or mmr.

I think as long as you tell them that you will have them all by school age (this will buy you time regardless if you get them or not) and that they are at home with you they (doc's) should really not care. At least mine haven't and we are military. Maybe that makes a difference.

http://www.immunizenc.com/ParentsSchoolReqs.htm
Exemptions

There are two exemptions to required immunizations.
  • Medical Exemptions - An exemption is permitted for medical reasons when a physician determines that an immunization is or may be harmful to a student for a specific reason. Valid medical exemptions must be written and signed by a physician licensed to practice medicine in North Carolina. The medical exemption must correspond to those medical contraindications specified in the N.C. Immunization Rules or an approved Rules' exception approved by the State Health Director. These physician statements must be maintained in the student's permanent record and at minimum must indicate the following - basis of the exemption; specific vaccine(s) the child should not receive; and length of time the exemption will apply for the child.
  • Religious exemptions - Parent(s), guardian or person in loco parentis who have a bona fide religious objection to immunization requirements must place a signed statement on file in the student's permanent record. An objection based upon a "scientific" belief (i.e. a foreign substance or chemical may be harmful) or non-religious personal belief or philosophy (i.e. clean living, fresh air, pure water) is not considered to be a religious exemption and is not allowed under North Carolina law.

A written statement must be maintained in the student's record containing, at a minimum, the following - student's name; parent(s), guardian's or person in loco parentis statement of bona fide religious objection; and parent(s), guardian or person in loco parentis signature and date signed. (If a student is at least 18 years old, his/her statement and signature are required.)
See also the Exemptions from Immunizations page.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittBBT View Post
I live in North Carolina. I have heard that there is no delaying vax... you have to do them all or not at all. DS is 14 months and due for more shots next month. NC has really screwed up policies regarding this kind of stuff and I'm not very good at standing up for myself.

Anyone know what the rules are for vaxing here? This is the last round of vax's for awhile and DS has never had a reaction besides a red lump at the injection site. I'm just trying to jump on the wagon... it's so confusing, the docs say one thing, some parents say another... AHHH!
Okay.. So just tell them you don't wanna do it then have a change of heart later, what are they going to do? tell you no, we aren't going to vax your kid you already told us you didn't want them?? I highly doubt it. To me it sounds like they just want to pressure you into doing it now for the fear you can't do it later.

So you aren't good at standing up for yourself huh??

How good are you for standing up for your children?

Good luck either way.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
BrittBBT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Re: Vaxing or not in NC... anyone??

Hmmm... actually I refused the Hep vax at DS's 12 m. appt... so I guess I'm not terrible at "standing up for my child"... that wasn't too smart-a$$y was it??
Brittany-mama to a bunch!Wife to Joseph Missing Zahra and Jayden my NCC and SAHM to Evan (5) Gavin & Bryce (3) and Avery (10.27.11)My planned UC, Daddy-caught Boobie Monster! 8lbs, 20'' long and 14'' head circum.
BrittBBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
ethansemi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, here's the deal,in NC you can only not vax under Religious or Medical reasons. With that said if you are planning on sending them to school then as long as you get all the required vax b/f Kindergarten you should be able to delay. BUT every doc is different on what he/she will allow at their practice. The one doc around here that will allow something besides full vax doesn't like full delay (not getting any) because they poor kids have to come back once/month (when they are nearing Kindergarten) and get a bunch of shots at once each visit. Which he says is easier to give to a baby then a three or four year old. Also you do have to get all or nothing, you can't do selective vax. Since you already have SOME this my not be a problem for you. Hope that helps!! BTW we don't vax