Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 AM   #11
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Underwire nursing bras

I'm only a D and never had problems w/underwire til I had DD2. I have had numerous clogged ducts and mastitis twice when I use underwire bras. I use the soft cup ones from Walmart and find that they give great support. I am still on a quest to find a non-clogging underwire.

Advertisement

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #12
mammamo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can't get H's from motherhood, can't even order then they only go up to F...Mimi maternity is the same way. I'm an H and I love my medela underwire, I have 2. You can get it, in an H, from JCPenny online. They are pricey, but you're used to it if you always have big bb's. I know how it feels not to be able to find a bra, I got so emotional about it when I was pg it was awful....

I tried posting a link but it didn't work sorry.

www.greenplanetbaby.com

Last edited by mammamo; 08-27-2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: tried posting a link and it didn't work
mammamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:02 AM   #13
veryblessed
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlie View Post
I have never bought one, but really want to this time around. I just never feel supported enough by a non-underwire after it's been washed a couple of times. Any recommendations? Where did you buy them? I need a "full-figure" bra, as my nursing cup size is usually an H.
Target has some great underwire bras, too and are pretty inexpensive
veryblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
bradleymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I too am an H cup, and I became frustrated ordering things online that didn't fit...bra brands vary SO much in fit, I really need to try things on. So, the only place in town I could find that carried the larger sizes (beyond DD or DDD) was a specialty bra shop. I would've never looked there because they mainly advertise their mastectomy supplies, but they also have a great selection of nursing/non-nursing large size bras. I actually really liked a Goddess softcup bra (and I've NEVER worn soft cup in my life), it had a ton of support, although they did start to wear out after about 6 months of use (just in that they didn't have as much support). I've also had some luck with the Medela underwires, however they didn't fit until after I'd been nursing for awhile, and after only using them for a few months, the underwires start coming out the sides (and I have several of them, it happens to ALL of them), so I'm constantly sewing them closed. I'll keep checking back here to see if anyone has any other ideas and good luck mama, its so tough bra shopping
bradleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #15
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

My only complaint about my Medela underwire nursing bra is that it spreads my breasts really far apart to where they are practically under my armpits. It makes my boobs look bigger than they are and I don't need help in that department (F/G cup.) That being said, I do choose it over my softcup bras because it does have better support, but I have yet to find a great underwire nursing bra.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #16
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another big busted mama here (H, I, J sizes). I have two medela underwire bras I've been using for the past eight months, but both of them had the underwires pop out around six months. I am currently in search of the perfect nursing bra (I prefer underwire also), but HATE having to spend $50 or $60 dollars for one bra. What is a girl to do?

I just thought I would recommend some online stores to you in your quest for an accomidating bra. The first one has free shipping on every order. The second one is having a sale right now - 15% off two bras, 20% off 3 or more.

Break Out Bras http://breakoutbras.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

Mothewear http://www.motherwear.com/cat.cfm/cid/50

Good luck! You'll need it.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #17
Monzie
Registered Users

I talked to the lactation consultant after my last prenatal visit at the birth center and she said that an underwire nursing bra is fine as long as it fits correctly. The wire must fit flush against your rib cage with no gaps and no pinching.

This info was a huge relief for me. I've worn an underwire for the past 20 years and can't imagine going without one! The trick will be to find something that fits, of course. I order all my "normal" bras from England (where they realize that there's a real need for band sizes smaller than a 38 combined with cups larger than a DDD) and I suspect I'll have to do the same thing with my nursing bras. Fortunately, there's a pretty huge market in "factory seconds" on eBay. So, I only have to pay retail one time and then, once I know what size I need, I can order the rest of my bras for half price from a UK eBay'er.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #18
mainesax
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've got big "twins" myself, and could never find a decent nursing bra that fit and had support. SO, this time around I made my own!

I had discovered that a couple styles of the cacique bras at Lane Bryant fit me really well. So I took the hardware off of a couple of old nursing bras and put it on the caciques. I just added a narrow piece of elastic that has one end sewn to the strap (where it detaches from the cup) and the other end sewn to the bra, just under my armpit area. It works great!! I have two of them going right now, and have another waiting to be converted. Took me about 15 minutes to do.
mainesax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #19
e2_erin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ive been using underwire all along (15months) and never had a problem. My fave is from Motherhood maternity. I paid $12 each for them.

Erin
e2_erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #20
aquaamber
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
My only complaint about my Medela underwire nursing bra is that it spreads my breasts really far apart to where they are practically under my armpits. It makes my boobs look bigger than they are and I don't need help in that department (F/G cup.) That being said, I do choose it over my softcup bras because it does have better support, but I have yet to find a great underwire nursing bra.

I'm not the only one!!!
aquaamber is offline   Reply With Quote