Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is a co-sleeper worth it?

We part time co-sleep in our family (meaning dd#1 starts out the night in her own bed but can come to ours whenever she wants in the night). We now have a week old baby who seems to prefer to be in our bed to the bassinet beside out bed. The only problem is when dd#1 comes to our bed that it pushes the baby a little closer to the edge of the bed than I'm comfortable with but again she won't stay in the bassinet for long. So I'm debating getting a co-sleeper so I can basically lay my hand on/by her but not have to worry about her falling off the bed. And hopefully I'd sleep better because she's not squished up next to me. Co-sleepers are rather expensive though so I don't want to spend the money to find that it is about as effective as the bassinet. So what are you opinions on the co-sleeper?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is a co-sleeper worth it?

Well, we have one for the fosterbabies-hehehehehe, it makes a really nice magazine holder! The babies mostly prefer to sleep in my arms instead of the cosleeper. You can try putting the crib as a sidecar to your bed-you can either have the baby there or your older child-just attach the crib to the bed frame so the crib won't get pushed away from the bed and leave an open space. You can also get a bed rail for your side of the bed, that way there is less chance of baby falling on the floor. I do love my cosleeper and I do start out putting the babies in the cosleeper every night, but they mostly end up sleeping with me anyway. I have the mini cosleeper that I got at a CS for a steal! Before I got it, I took a cradle, took it off the frame and used luggage straps to attach it to a little tykes toy box that I put on it's side-that way I could use the inside for storing blankets and stuff. Anyway, this brought the cradle up closer to the height of my bed so I could just reach over the side and touch baby. It was way cheaper than a cosleeper, but I love my cosleeper better than the cradle set up. That said, I don't have an older child in my bed, just the baby so I don't worry about anyone squashing the baby!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

they seem to be a good idea, but everyone I know that has one hasn't ever used it as it's intended purpose. They just use it the same as you would a bassinet or something next to the bed, but not connected.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Mine is connected and will not move one inch on the floor, it is very secure. I love the concept, but the babies often prefer to sleep with me rather than the cosleeper. I have had babies that will sleep in it and others that wouldn't. I would recommend one if you have the $, the resale value is pretty high, they are on craigslist all the time.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I never liked it, or the bassinet. Too far when they're little to be of much comfort, and too close for their snorting and sniffing and curiousity when they're older. I'm going to say something right now that will make many mothers gasp with the horror... I let my kids sleep in their infant carseats set in the bassinet part of the pack n play when they were newborns and up to 2 mos. I know, that sounds terrible but they were very happy that way - slept soundly with almost no startling and for longer. Plus the upright position was better for breathing and digestion. Just my and I'll bet I get flamed for it

*forgot to add - this was right next to my side of the bed and I actually slept w/ my hand on danny's chest when he caught a chest cold at 2 mos. old *

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 08-26-2007 at 03:40 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
We part time co-sleep in our family (meaning dd#1 starts out the night in her own bed but can come to ours whenever she wants in the night). We now have a week old baby who seems to prefer to be in our bed to the bassinet beside out bed. The only problem is when dd#1 comes to our bed that it pushes the baby a little closer to the edge of the bed than I'm comfortable with but again she won't stay in the bassinet for long. So I'm debating getting a co-sleeper so I can basically lay my hand on/by her but not have to worry about her falling off the bed. And hopefully I'd sleep better because she's not squished up next to me. Co-sleepers are rather expensive though so I don't want to spend the money to find that it is about as effective as the bassinet. So what are you opinions on the co-sleeper?

Thanks!
I have a 22 month old and a 2 1/2 week old and we use an original co-sleeper. It is not safe for the infant to be actually in the bed with us when our 22 month old is having a bad night and wants to lay in between mom and dad. We love it and she actually does stay in it as long as she is tightly swaddled. Have you tried that? That might help with the bassinet too.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My boyfriend has been sleeping on the couch. Once DD#2 loses skin contact she snaps awake. She loooves to sleep nestled up to my boob after she's been nursing and I can't even snap my bra shut. I'm no help really. Her bassinet is used to air out diaper covers, and hold her changing pad. I was thinking about the co-sleeper. Good thing I didn't get that because the idea of it would have been lost on DD#2.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
chickie
Registered Users
seller

I have never had a bassinet so I can't make that comparison. But we do have a mini co-sleeper and I love it. DD ends up in bed with me after DH goes to work in the morning (and I can throw all his covers on the floor ) Until that happens, the co-sleeper is a good alternative to having her close by. Many a nights do I pat her back without moving out of bed!

I tried having DD in bed with me all night but literally got NO SLEEP because I was so scared of smooshing her.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
5ferret2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We purchased a used full size co-sleeper from our local Craigslist and it was so worth it!! Miles doesn't sleep all night in there, but at least until 4-5 AM. And I sleep much better with him closer to us (rather than in a crib in own room) but not right next to me (I get nervous about smooshing him!!) GL on your decision
Old 08-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
jazzpurr88
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never mind. I was posting my own question about the cosleeper. PG brain

Last edited by jazzpurr88; 08-26-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Stupid answer
jazzpurr88 is offline   Reply With Quote