Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:
BReastfeeding ribbons...

So what would qualify as a "rough start"?

I tried to see if there was anything on the web pages that would indicate what would be considered a rough start but I didn't find anything in my 3 second search.

Advertisement

ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: BReastfeeding ribbons...

No one knows?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a "rough start" with DD1 but things have gone quite well with DD2 and she has only had an ounce of breast milk from a bottle since I really do need her to take the occasional bottle for DH. DD1 didn't start nursing really well until she was a month old. Long story short, her birth was horrible and the night nurses kept giving her a bottle.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

I don't think there are any "qualifications" for having a rough start. I think you get a ribbon if you feel like it is deserving... you don't have to meet anyone elses standard. Everyone's idea of a rough start would probably be something different and the problems you can encounter are probably way too numerous to list. So, go get your ribbon!
Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 AM   #5
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbison View Post
I don't think there are any "qualifications" for having a rough start. I think you get a ribbon if you feel like it is deserving... you don't have to meet anyone elses standard. Everyone's idea of a rough start would probably be something different and the problems you can encounter are probably way too numerous to list. So, go get your ribbon!
I'm only a little over 4 weeks in, but I've done it with only the help my my midwife in the first hour (and support from my boyfriend of course). I've already had a cracked nipple, over supply issues, still dealing with letdown that floods my DD, and I just figured out that she can't tolerate spicy foods. The LC is only part time at the hospital, and when I went back to talk to her she was at an LC convention for the week. *head desk* .. I never nursed DD#1 - the only person who helped me (or supported me then) was my mother and she hadn't nursed in nearly 18 years.

I sort of feel a bit like I had a rough start almost 3 years back with DD#1 and DD#2 finally made me successful with the whole breastfeeding thing (we'll just ignore the fact that she refuses bottles anyways ).
Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Definitely sounds like you are worthy of some major kudos. Good job to you for hanging in there. www.kellymom.com has tons of info on latch and food sensitivities and oversupply, etc if you haven't already seen it. If you have questions still over specific things, let me know and I will try to help you any way I can. I'm a postpartum nurse... and a breastfeeding enthusiest.... but there is still a lot I don't know!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think that tough start is relative to the person. For me...My first child was born at 28 weeks and was nearly 6 weeks old before they let me attempt to BF her. I pumped like a crazy woman for 4 months, took herbal boosters and Rx Reglan to try and increase my supply but that failed. I spent tons of money on a private LC and tried everything she suggested. My dd only latched on a few times because she prefered the pumped BM in a bottle. To me, that was a really tough start. Then I had my DS and he was in the NICU for 3 weeks, so I pumped for 4 weeks until I got him completely off the bottle and only on the breast. Even though that sounds tough, I felt like it was easy after what I had already gone through.

I think the most important thing to remember is to be supportive of one another and constantly cheer a new BFing Mom on in the begining because it can be sooo hard!

I have to say that I am so happy to see that you are doing well with BFing now...I was scared for you in the begining because of your pain. You are doing an AWESOME job!

Last edited by napua; 08-28-2007 at 05:49 PM.
napua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
I think that tough start is relative to the person. For me...My first child was born at 28 weeks and was nearly 6 weeks old before they let me attempt to BF her. I pumped like a crazy woman for 4 months, took herbal boosters and Rx Reglan to try and increase my supply but that failed. I spent tons of money on a private LC and tried everything she suggested. My dd only latched on a few times because she prefered the pumped BM in a bottle. To me, that was a really tough start. Then I had my DS and he was in the NICU for 3 weeks, so I pumped for 4 weeks until I got him completely off the bottle and only on the breast. Even though that sounds tough, I felt like it was easy after what I had already gone through.

I think the most important thing to remember is to be supportive of one another and constantly cheer a new BFing Mom on in the begining because it can be sooo hard!

I have to say that I am so happy to see that you are doing well with BFing now...I was scared for you in the begining because of your pain. You are doing an AWESOME job!

I couldn't imagine having to deal with all of that. That takes A LOT of dedication and determination. Heck I just had to pump for a few days while in the hospital and that wasn't so easy. I kept worrying "okay am I pumping enough? Too much? Am I getting the hind milk? She won't take bottles or pacifiers how is she going to eat?! I didn't have a statsh, now she's going to have to have formula until I can get some expressed. I hope I don't lose my supply. I hope she doesn't prefer the bottle over boob now!". Trying to pump and not nursing is emotionally exhausting!! Having to do that for weeks on end would make me crazy!

Luckily DD#2 is such a boob baby that she did in fact get miffed about the bottle and formula, and has had not one issue about nursing since I got home yesterday!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
elusion
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post

I couldn't imagine having to deal with all of that. That takes A LOT of dedication and determination. Heck I just had to pump for a few days while in the hospital and that wasn't so easy. I kept worrying "okay am I pumping enough? Too much? Am I getting the hind milk? She won't take bottles or pacifiers how is she going to eat?! I didn't have a statsh, now she's going to have to have formula until I can get some expressed. I hope I don't lose my supply. I hope she doesn't prefer the bottle over boob now!". Trying to pump and not nursing is emotionally exhausting!! Having to do that for weeks on end would make me crazy!

Luckily DD#2 is such a boob baby that she did in fact get miffed about the bottle and formula, and has had not one issue about nursing since I got home yesterday!
When I read your post about the hospital (and yes my retarded reply, sorry about that..) I was wondering how you guys were doing with your BFing relationship. Even though we only made it 8 months, I am happy to help you in any way I can. I figure since Im local it might help some? I still know how it all works (And dang, I miss it!)

elusion is offline   Reply With Quote