Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Registered Users
Ideas and encouragement, please

Hi. I'm a SAHM to 4.5 y.o. Simon and 10 month old Max. I'm struggling to parent both at the moment.

The smaller problem is that Max wants to explore everything he sees. Our house is pretty baby-friendly but I still feel like I"m constantly running to divert him. Ex: Got to close the door his big brother left open, got to get in and out of the fridge quickly before he crawls in, and (see below) must do my best to keep him out of big brother's toys. I know his need to explore is natural and good, and I want to have an environment where he can explore at will, but it's just not going the way I think it should. Can't remember--How long does this phase last? Ideas for handling it when there is a big sibling around?

After factoring in the fatigue that comes from chasing Max and not getting enough sleep at night, consider my second struggle. Simon wants me to be his CONSTANT playmate. Simon goes to preschool in the afternoons, and he's allowed to watch 1 hour of television a day, but I still find myself resenting his constant requests during the rest of the day. He can't seem to understand that I have to do work around the house, take care of Max, etc. (This is something of a change. Until recently, he handled having a little brother beautifully, and could entertain himself at times.) He also wants me to "protect" his toys from Max. We've tried telling him that the family room is for the whole family, that if he doesn't want Max to touch something, he needs to play with it in his bedroom or the basement, but he claims to be afraid to be in these rooms by himself. He's a great kid, and I want to enjoy being with him, but I can't when it's such a struggle for me to get time to do other things I need to do--and to have just a few moments of peace and quiet.

I know I can't be the only one who struggles with these things. (Right???)

Responses appreciated,

sbeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Ideas and encouragement, please

I wish I had some advice or suggestions, but I'm sort of in the same boat...except my sons are different ages. My oldest is 3.5yo and the 'baby' is 2yo. I'm anxious to see any responses you might get!

Jenelle SAHM to Kain (01/27/04) Drake (08/22/05)
~*55 lbs lost, 25 to go!*~
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Ideas and encouragement, please

I would try to play with your ods as much as you can with the him you can all play together. use yds' nap time for cleaning and such...this is what i 'try' to do and gl!
Chantily~wife to my soul mate and sahm to 3 lively boys! A-6 J-3 S-1, 1 min pin, Buster and 1 kitty, Bob

**we are now in Central Illinois and getting adjusted!**
tillers72 is offline   Reply With Quote