Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
4boys4me
Registered Users

homeschooling curriculum...

I want to homeschool my boys for preschool. Since it isn't a requirement, I want to keep them home. We don't have the money to send them off somewhere, for someone else to teach them, when this is what I stay home for,lol. So, do you have any links that have premade preschool curriculum that I could purchase with the stuff already made up for the weeks? I am in school myself, so I don't have the time to sit on the computer making up lesson plans for each week, kwim? I mean, my 4yr. old is a smarty pants. He knows everything already, but I want him to have structure to his learning. He needs a set time to listen and to learn to follow directions, etc.

Thanks a bunch for any helpful tips and advie

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: homeschooling curriculum...

http://www.abchomepreschool.com/

I LOVE this site. I was supposed to be watching a 4 year old this summer (although it didn't pan out) and I was actually going to order a curriculum for us to work on. I plan on getting some of them once DS gets older. I can't wait to homeschool. I've been plannin on it since before I got pregnant. lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
4boys4me
Registered Users

Thanks! I was also googling some and came up this this lesson plan. It is free! I think that is better yet! LOL..

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/Preparatory_Outline.html
Old 07-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

We like the Five in a Row curriculum . . .
Old 07-11-2006, 04:17 AM   #5
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

I'll snd FIAR, although we haven't offcially used it yet. I am going to be using the with my Kindegartener this year, as he is behind in the language department. My daughter never had a chance to use it, as her reading and language skills are out of this world, but it seems like a nice, friendly plan. I know what you mean, about having a plan. We don't do a lot of formal schooling, but I like to have a plan in case I find myself lagging lol I relaly like using a less-structured approach with the little guys, at least.

starfall.com also has some cute little put-togeyther books and journaling activites and such, and my 7 yo uses discovery kids ALOT in the summer for the educational games, althugh they don't change them as much as we would like! I think thos would be fine for ps, too, you would just need to be more present for a little kid than an older child.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

Great links!! I too am seriously thinking about homeschooling for Preschool. My dd will be 4 in early September (plus I am watching a 2 year old fulll time). I am due to have the baby and my son is starting Jr. High (all on the day of/day after her birthday) so there will be so much change in the home and I am not sure dd will take to it all easily. Plus she will be starting 2 or 3 new "little" classes so I feel she will be getting enough social interaction. I'll be watching this thread to see what other links and advice you mamas have.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 AM   #7
4boys4me
Registered Users

Oh yeah! We use starfall.com a lot,lol.. my kids go around saying "a" alligator and things of that nature all the time,lol.. It is a good site! Thanks!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We'll be using Before Five in a Row and Little Hands for Heaven. Once he shows writing readiness I'll be using Handwriting Without Tears. Eventually, Math U See.

Young children need lots of exposure to reading, hands on activities like cutting, drawing, building, exploring, and, of course, free play. You can teach letter sounds and counting while doing normal daily activities. Teach him like you did to learn colors, shapes, animals, etc. Probably by naming them as he was exposed to them. At this age their brains are little sponges. Just make sure they have plenty to soak up and they'll do great.

FWIW, our oldest is HSed after too many years in PS. I'll never send him back to PS and have NO intentions of ever sending our youngest. They will get a far better education right here at home. Have faith in yourself! You are your child's best teacher!

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote