Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
Monzie
Registered Users

Re: heartburn..UGH

Pepcid rules.

I was miserably munching Tums for weeks before my midwife told me Pepcid was okay for preggies. The generic stuff is pretty inexpensive. I just got two boxes at Walgreens for $6.99 because they were having a "Buy One Get One Free" sale. There are thirty tablets in each box and you take a tab every 12 hours. Most days, I can just take one in the early AM and I'm good for the rest of the day. If I feel particularly acid-y after dinner, I take another pill before bed.

I do still eat Tums from time to time. But only 1 or 2 a day, instead of chewing a dozen of the things and getting no relief.

Advertisement

Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

The thing that worked miracles for my heartburn during my last pregnancy was Almond Breeze milk. It is a dairy alternative found near the soy milks and rice milks- unrefrigerated. It is made from Almonds, so if you have nut allergies, I wouldn't recommend it. But anyways....everytime my heartburn started up, I would just drink a small glass of almond milk and it would disappear almost immediately.

Good luck! I know how miserable heart burn can be!
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Thanks mamas

gretchen, we dont have anything like that here, some stores carry silk soy but nothing else and ive never seen them sold anyplace i shop
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #14
bohlander04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey I just wanted to add that as far as the pepcid ac, if you are worried about the price I take the DG brand and OB said that was fine. It seems to work just as well also. Hope you feel better Mama. Mine has been terrible with this pg too.

Check out my new online store!
http://www.waddlewear.net/
bohlander04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #15
h&jsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had horrible heartburn with all of my pregnancies too. Anything I eat or drink will give me heartburn. The only thing that halfway works with me is the Tums Softchews in vanilla, they're the only ones that don't leave a funky taste in my mouth. I keep telling myself not too much longer......
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 AM   #16
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tums and i are best friends. That usually does the trick, thank goodness. I have had it since the 1st trimester with this one.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:36 AM   #17
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Such a timely topic as I sit here, burning away. I think I missed a dose or something!! Anyway, with all my pregnancies I have had terrible heartburn so at the first sign of it I asked my midwife to intervene. She gave me samples of Protonix to take once every day in the AM, a prescription for zantac 150 that I could take before dinner and told me that on top of that I could take tums (just not at the same time as the other 2.) I have been pretty comfy up until last night.

Maybe I'm just hungry? Sometimes I get heartburn when my stomach is empty - I'm just big, uncomfortable and scared to eat in case it gets worse!

If cost is an issue, call up your dr, midwife whatever and see if they can spare some samples, or prescribe something you could buy using a copay which seems cheaper than full over the counter price most of the time. (zantac over the counter was way more expensive than my co-pay for the same dosage!) I think most prescription heartburn meds are safe when pregnant.

I can't wait to get my stomach and bladder back... I'll even trade them for the boobs lol
Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #18
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
Thanks mamas

gretchen, we dont have anything like that here, some stores carry silk soy but nothing else and ive never seen them sold anyplace i shop
Do you want me to mail you some?
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #19
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ugh, i had some HORRIBLE heartburn yesterday b/c I ate some tomato soup at least it stayed down though.

hope yours gets better!!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the only thing that helps me out-- grapefruit juice.

i cant take tums cuz it interacts wiht another med im on, but last night i had grapefruit juice (at the suggestion of my hubby) and it was the first time in a LONG time i've been able to go to bed and not feel like i was dying!

i also heard that eating the outside of a cucumber (NOT the seeds or skin) will help... the seeds will make it worse and make ya gassy, and us preggos know we dont need anymore gas, lol.