Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
chunkybabies
Registered Users

My Mood:
Exclusive Pumping, anyone?

I'm a SAHM who exclusively pumps and does not supplement with formula. I'm looking for someone else who does the same. Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy. With so many problems with nursing, my DD decided at 4 weeks that she would no longer nurse and only wanted a bottle. She got what she wanted. How long have you done this? My DD is 9 1/2 months and I'm debating whether to go past a year. It is definitely more difficult in some ways than nursing but it's worth it for her health! Anyone out there in the same boat as me?

Advertisement

chunkybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Nissi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Exclusive Pumping, anyone?

I had thought about eping w dd2 b/c of nursing problems that went on for 7 months despite prof. help with dd1. we do some pumping some nursing w/ dd2 I don't think you're crazy or silly. It's waaaay better than using formula and for all the hard work it takes to ep, you should be proud!

My FSOT here
Nissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I EP'd for 3.5mos until DS decided that he wanted to nurse. I work full time so we only get to nurse 1-2times/day and I still have to pump, but it's sooooo worth it to do it and keep trying. I swore he would never take to nursing, but now that we do it I'm so proud of myself and him for sticking with it. I HATED my pump before and now I love it b/c if I hadn't had it and the will to keep going, I'd never have experienced bfing.
I say keep on pumping!--as long as it works for you.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
chunkybabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

HOW DID YOU DO IT? Breastfeed after exclusive pumping? I wanted so very much to nurse my baby but after the four weeks of pain, frustration, and tears AND her refusal to nurse, I have always wished I could've gotten it to work out. I nursed my second child and this is my third - and I didn't think it was possible, to go back to the breast!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Rannensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD quit bf at 4 months. She's now 14 months and I am going to relactate and give it to her in a sippy, so I'll be in almost the same boat
Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkybabies View Post
HOW DID YOU DO IT? Breastfeed after exclusive pumping? I wanted so very much to nurse my baby but after the four weeks of pain, frustration, and tears AND her refusal to nurse, I have always wished I could've gotten it to work out. I nursed my second child and this is my third - and I didn't think it was possible, to go back to the breast!
Periodically, I'd offer it to him, especially when I knew he wasn't really hungry and just was tired and wanted some comfort. Basically, I let him use me as a paci. Then I started spacing out the pump at the end of the day so that I'd be really full around his fussy time when he used me as a paci for naps. Then, he'd suck longer and get milk. He started to get the idea then but still wouldn't do it other times---he'd just pull away and scream until he got a bottle. Then one morning I was super full (I stopped pumping overnight when he started sleeping all night) so when he woke up I got him and put him in bed with me and offered it to him, and he took it. That became our morning routine, nursing with him in bed and then lots of snuggle time. I'd then pump all day and offer him the breast after his bedtime bottle to go to sleep with. Now, on days I'm home from work, he nurses 2-3times and gets bottles of bm or formula too. It's certainly not EBFing b/c I have a really low supply and always have, but it's something and I'm dang proud of it.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
tlaquepaque
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I EPed for a year for my DS. I weaned at that time because I had over 3600 oz frozen. I was able to give him EBM until he was 20 months. I'm very glad I did it and I would do it again if I had to but I'm very happy that my girl is nursing. We all just do the best that we can. When you are ready to wean you will know.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
chunkybabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

haydn'smommy - I am tickled to hear of someone being able to go back to the breast after exclusive pumping!! That made my day! I have a few more hurdles to contend with, however. My DD does not take a paci and has SIX teeth! Ouch! I've emailed my lactation consultant at the local level to see what kind of suggestions she may have for me. Thanks!

Xander's mom - awesome name. Wanted to name my Andy that but DH liked Andrew better.