Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #21
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: natural child birth who's doing it / trying it?

My first I had all the "bells and whistles" meaning induced, epideral, etc... I hated it but didn't know any different. With my son I labored naturally with him and he was posterior. Talk about back labor! My dh and the Bradley Method is what helped me through. Seriously though, if dh wouldn't have been as strong as he was I couldn't have done it. He just kept saying, we'll have you checked, why not wait it out. I thought I'd kill him but in the end he was my hero. Everything went according to my birth plan and I couldn't have been happier.

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #22
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

4 time homebirth mama here, doing #5 in January. We used Bradley and the best thing was hubby understood what was going on and was able to encourage me, even though I don't follow the book. At this point DH is ready to deliver if the midwife doesn't make it in time, which has almost happened a few times. If you can move to any position you want it will help and with each baby it may be a totally different position that works best.

Last edited by joyful mother; 08-27-2007 at 08:42 PM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #23
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mother View Post
4 time homebirth mama here, doing #5 in January. We used Bradley and the best thing was hubby understood what was going on and was able to encourage me, even though I don't follow the book. At this point DH is ready to deliver if the midwife doesn't make it in time, which has almost happened a few times. If you can move to any position you want it will help and with each baby it may be a totally different position that works best.
Ya , that is why I am getting a doula , my hubby is the stand there scared with NO clue what is going on or what to do type during labor lol , he also wouldn't be very quick to make sure the staff is fallowing my birth plan and would probably just go along with what they want to do , so ya doula for me

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

i got pretty close last time but caved to their crazy pressure to get some drugs. i ended up with a fourth degree tear after 3 1/2 hours of pushing.

this time, an epidural is not even an option for me, because of my previous tear. i have to have total control over the whole situation, and feel absolutely everything that's happening. so i've had a lot of time to prepare for the fact that i have to go natural this time. it's what i wanted with the first, and for good reason.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #25
katy_mb3
Registered Users
seller

For #1 I decided to "go natural for as long as I can". Well, I soon found out that I had basically admitted defeat from the start simply by adopting that philosophy. I ended up w/ a posterior baby and an epidural/episiotomy/vacuum extraction.

W/ #2, I committed myself to going natural and insured this by having the proper support and birthing environment (my livingroom ). It was an amazingly easier, safer, and healthier birth.

#3 will be natural as well - another planned HB. I have a birth pool kit put together and am definitely open to the idea of a waterbirth.

From my experience, I learned that in order to have a succesful natural delivery, it's imperative to commit yourself to it 100%, learn everything you possibly can, and have the proper support people in place. To say "I'll try going natural" pretty much means you'll end up w/ interventions and pain meds because in almost every labor, there comes a point where you think you can't possibly do it. But ya know what? You can. It's just a matter of knowing that, trusting your body and your baby, and surrounding yourself with people who have that same degree of trust and are willing to support you through the rough times.
katy_mb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #26
gracelb
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Re: natural child birth who's doing it / trying it?

I have 5 kids and only used the epi on the first one at 7cm when they started a pit drip. I hated it! It was really busy and the anesthesiologist could not come back and adjust my drip. My whole body got numb and it was difficult to breath. The nurse came in and just stopped the whole thing including the pit, because it was causing fetal distress. The epi really slowed down my progress, so about 5 hours later my dd was born and needless to say I felt it when pushing because by then the drugs had wore off. I felt the whole ordeal was a big waste of time, money, energy, and my initial effort. The next three were all natural in the hospital and my last one was four weeks ago in my home with a midwife. I use a mixture of techniques that help me during the different stages. I rely heavily upon my husband for support and message. I used hydro therapy in the shower and tub to take the edge off and of course move, move, move!!! Whenever I need to have a break in my contractions I change my position. Being upright and squatting helps relieve back labor. Sitting on the toilet is also comforting. I focus strongly on my breathing during transition and I'm more vocal during that time. Don't panic and scream and tense up, but do the opposite to relieve pain and pressure. Try to stay calm, breath slow and deep and exhale with short fast bursts. Groan or moan in a low gutteral tone and keep face and mouth relaxed. Listen to your mw or ob and let your body guide you when it comes time to push. Everyone is different, but it is important to know your body and your limits. These are things that work for me.
gracelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #27
Hootemcboob
Registered Users

My Mood:

We had planned to birth DS at a local birth center but they midwives and then 2 ultrasounds said he would be over 12lbs so we tried everything we could to get him to come before 40 weeks. At 40 weeks the midwives said they wouldn't do our care anymore. We were induced at a hospital with pit. They turned it up as high as it would go and we would have contrax that lasted minutes at a time so they would have to turn it back down. After 17 hrs and getting to 7cm I stalled (DUH he wasn't ready) I ended up with a c-section and an 8lb 12oz boy.

THIS time we are having a home VBAC. I know if I go back into the hossy that it will be very likely that I will end up with a repeat c-section. If I did go to the hossy I'd have a doula NO DOUBT this time. Reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is a must read if you are having an unmedicated labor.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #28
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_mb3 View Post
From my experience, I learned that in order to have a succesful natural delivery, it's imperative to commit yourself to it 100%, learn everything you possibly can, and have the proper support people in place. To say "I'll try going natural" pretty much means you'll end up w/ interventions and pain meds because in almost every labor, there comes a point where you think you can't possibly do it. But ya know what? You can. It's just a matter of knowing that, trusting your body and your baby, and surrounding yourself with people who have that same degree of trust and are willing to support you through the rough times.

You are right on the money about that!!
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #29
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

read my siggy 4 times i have done it.

the 1st baby is normally the hardest birth... so don't base things off that.
I was prepared my 2nd baby but also expecting the worst, well that baby flew out in 2 hours. I never had time to blink. it was fast, hard and lovely.

Just always know when you think you can't handle anymore and you want drugs, its almost done. maybe only a few contractions left !!

(yes I have asked for drugs at home and so have my clients)
but you CAN do it.

former midwife
Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #30
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

read my siggy 4 times i have done it.

the 1st baby is normally the hardest birth... so don't base things off that.
I was prepared my 2nd baby but also expecting the worst, well that baby flew out in 2 hours. I never had time to blink. it was fast, hard and lovely.

Just always know when you think you can't handle anymore and you want drugs, its almost done. maybe only a few contractions left !!

(yes I have asked for drugs at home and so have my clients)
but you CAN do it.

former midwife