Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
kaleo40
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding hurts more with more kids?

My friend just had a baby yesterday. She nursed her first until she got pregnant with this one. She said that it hurts so bad when she nurses this baby that it feels like she is in labor again and has to take percocet just to nurse her baby. The nurse told her that it is normal and hurts more with the more kids you have, something about the uterus shrinking faster or something? I'm so confused, I've never heard of anything like this before. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. TIA!

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breastfeeding hurts more with more kids?

i'm not sure of the reason but yes it is more painful with each dc. the good thing is that it also stops faster in most cases. the pain of nursing should stop within five days if everything is going well as far as latch.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

Two friends and I were just talking about this. Not the breastfeeding hurting, but the after labor pains increasing with each baby. The one friend just had her 4th and said she thought the after pains with this one were worse than the actual labor.
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

breastfeeding encourages the uterus to get back to normal size after birth...the afterbirth pains get worse typically each child, and since nursin enourages that even more, then yeah...it tends to hurt more, but it also takes longer if bottlefeeding so they pains last longer :shrug:
Old 08-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
wicksasc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I had #4 a month ago and I can say that for me the after labor pains were intense. Luckily they don't last forever, just a few days that seem that long.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
phantomripples
Banned

I was having to take 600 mg of iprofen to nurse for like the 1st week or 2 after xander was born
phantomripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #7
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup - I sure noticed the after-pains with #3, and I was not even aware of them with the first two!
imamama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleo40 View Post
My friend just had a baby yesterday. She nursed her first until she got pregnant with this one. She said that it hurts so bad when she nurses this baby that it feels like she is in labor again and has to take percocet just to nurse her baby. The nurse told her that it is normal and hurts more with the more kids you have, something about the uterus shrinking faster or something? I'm so confused, I've never heard of anything like this before. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. TIA!
I had the exact same thing happen to me! I formula fed my first and breastfed the second and third kids. I don't remember DC#2 causing pain, but WOW nursing DC#3 was so painful that I was squirming from the contraction pain. I broke down and took a Tylenol, which I have NEVER had to take pain meds postpartum before.

Of course, I also ended up with a uterine infection on postpartum day #9, so I don't know if there was any correlation. I don't *think* so, but who knows.

It did let up around day #4 or #5 though.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:30 AM   #9
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

YEP! I just had #7 and the nursing pains were worse than the actual delivery...it only lasted 3 days though!
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:41 AM   #10
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh geez you guys are freaking me out. I'm due w/ #3 in April and I felt no contractions nursing #2 at all. UGH
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote