Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #21
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please read

I'm still stuck on the fact that Applebees wants nursing mothers to cover their babies heads with blankets.

Fine, go ahead, suffocate your future customers! Why stop at the breastfed ones? Make the loud ones who throw food and tantrums eat under blankets too.

Sheesh.

As a result of this thread, I went to work tonight and passed a copy of New York State's breastfeeding legislation to our nursery nurse and one of our OBGyn's. I printed a copy for myself too... just in case.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #22
chickie
Registered Users
seller

The irony of this story. My mom and I went to lunch at Applebee's the other day (in Florida). I planned on nursing DD and actually DID bring in a blanket, but for my DD's benefit because it was chilly in the restaurant and she was in a onesie.

My mom asked for a back table and mentioned I needed to nurse. The hostess said "oh, you can go in the bathroom". WTH?! I ignored her and started nursing at the table. She came back and asked if I wanted them to put a chair in the bathroom. WTH?! I continued nursing at the table.

I won't return to Applebee's.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #23
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i didnt read all the responses but is there going to be a nationwide applebees nurse in?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #24
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

squirt him in the eye
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #25
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

too far for me to go, lol!

but ive nursed in applebees locally here in fl (and the one by my sisters in MI) even when ds was almost 3 and never had anyone say a word
Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #26
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

I've never had a problem nursing at Apple bees. In fact, I think they are scared of me here. Do I really look that unapproachable... while I'm nursing - damn straight I am... LET them say something... ANYWHERE.

She should have stuck her ground and finished feeding her child.

While I do feel for her situation... a lot of her frustration wouldn't be so great if she ingrained it in her heart that what she's doing IS right and LEGAL. Fumbling for a piece of paper to prove that, or almost starting to cry, and especially leaving to her car to feed her child *sigh* that just makes the battle harder on herself. ON ANY mama, not just her. I'm not saying that carrying the legislation doesn't help, but really now... it starts with how comfortable and strong YOU are. The idiot manager glazed over it and didn't listen because it's not important to him... At that moment let the stupid words roll off.

BE STRONG. LET THAT STRENGTH (or justifiable stubbornness) SHOW ON YOUR FACE, AND YOUR ACTIONS.

They'd need to PHYSICALLY move me. Even then they'd still be wrong AND more importantly they'd be broke, because I'd sue the HECK out of them.

Now, the letter from Thomas & King, Inc., that's insane. If indeed the letter exists (I would love to see an actual scan of it), they're about to be royally screwed for it. I can't wait to see how this goes down.

Someone should write to the Today show. Copy of letter in hand.

I'm calling to my Applebees and writing to see what their policy is on nursing mothers...

I would suggest others do the same to get a clear answer!

Last edited by hackermd; 08-28-2007 at 10:01 PM.
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:05 AM   #27
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickie View Post
The irony of this story. My mom and I went to lunch at Applebee's the other day (in Florida). I planned on nursing DD and actually DID bring in a blanket, but for my DD's benefit because it was chilly in the restaurant and she was in a onesie.

My mom asked for a back table and mentioned I needed to nurse. The hostess said "oh, you can go in the bathroom". WTH?! I ignored her and started nursing at the table. She came back and asked if I wanted them to put a chair in the bathroom. WTH?! I continued nursing at the table.

What! Some people are so ignorant.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 AM   #28
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzmark06 View Post
Err i woul dhave whipped it out and squirted him in the eye!

Not really but its a good thought!
omg
Old 08-29-2007, 05:32 AM   #29
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickie View Post

OMG I swear I would've wanted to slap her the way she pushed again about it I would've gone off on her, like damnit, why don't you ask that pig sitting over there who cannot chew with his mouth closed to go eat in the freaking bathroom!

It's lucky (for whoever) that no one has ever said anything to me while nursing in public, cause I have no problem saying what's on my mind
Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #30
chasondreams
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

whats the point of a nurse in?!?!?

ummmm...
TOO MAKE A MUCH NEEDED CHANGE AND BRING AWARENSS ABOUT A SERIOUS PROBLEM!

i am so sorry that you had to go through this.
i wish i lived closer, i would be there in a heaqrtbeat to help support you and this cause.
i am floored that people can still be so ignorant.

breastfeeding is natural and beautiful and the very best thing you could ever do for your baby.

why is it that we as mothers are made to feel shame for doing what is best for our infants, and made to feel shame about our bodies.

so very sad.

gl to you, and thank you for DOING something about the way you were treated. this is something that hopefully will help other mothers as well.