Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
pneumonia and pregnancy?-UPDATE

Anyone ever have pneumonia while pregnant? Outside of needing to call the docs first thing in the AM, I'm thinking that I've managed to get pneumonia. I have this burning in my chest, especially when I try to swallow (it feels like something hot is trying to close off my throat right above the hallow of my throat), I can't walk across the room without being out of breath and just talking takes alot of energy and leaves me breathless.

Whatever it is, I either got it from my friend visiting last week (she had something but swore it was allergies) or I got it from taking one of my kiddos to the clinic for her sports physical. She has a runny nose and cough, my youngest has a cough and I have this... and we're the only three that went to the clinic. I have no other symptoms outside the burning in my chest, very painful cough and severe shortness of breath. I'm carrying so low with this baby that I've never had problems with being short of breath during this pregnancy (heck, I can still eat a huge meal without feeling uncomfortable because I'm carrying so low )

So has someone else experienced this? What happened with the docs and did you have to get onto medication? Thanks in advance!!!

**UPDATE 30 AUG**
Flippin' bronchitis. I spent 3.5 hours in the L&D ward this afternoon because I'm 30 weeks pregnant so they wanted to monitor the baby too. Baby is doing just fantastic, moving all around, kicking the heck out of the monitor (don't blame him). But the pain in my chest and severe difficulty in breathing is due to bronchitis.

The fun part is that I am trying to figure out WHY when they do the monitoring, is there a reason they have the volume on the thing so loud? I mean, every stinkin' time this kid moved, I got a very eardrum breaking "BWOOSH". But I have to admit I loved watching him move around and listening to his heartrate.

AND... the most fun was I got to hear three babies born! I got to hear their first cries! I heard one dad shout "I got a GIRL!!!!!" and just whooped it up. It was so hilarious and so heartwarming. It was SO busy up there this afternoon.

Advertisement

Last edited by dirtdartwife; 08-30-2007 at 03:58 PM.
dirtdartwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
stjarks
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: pneumonia and pregnancy?

It may also be Pleurisy. I had that several years ago. Could not get a good breath, it hurt to breath. Here is a link http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pleurisy/article_em.htm . It is basically an infection in the lining of the lugs. It is painful.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
dirtdartwife
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjarks View Post
It may also be Pleurisy. I had that several years ago. Could not get a good breath, it hurt to breath. Here is a link http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pleurisy/article_em.htm . It is basically an infection in the lining of the lugs. It is painful.
Thanks! That actually answers quite a bit. I'm going to be calling the doc in the AM to try to get in to get seen. I wouldn't be so worried if the cough would actually produce something more than just the severe burning sensation.

Thanks mama!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didnt have this, but good luck sweetie!

This may not be relevant, but is this the first baby you've had since you quit smoking? Im asking because I remember you and I had similar reasoning in terms of smoking, and i dont remember when you quit.

Why im asking is since I quit at 5weeks pg, i had a HORRIBLE persistant cough that wouldnt go away. I had ONE cigarette a while back (like a week and a half ago) and the cough is gone, lol. Which just proved my point that my lungs were adjusting to not being filled with smoke. So maybe you're having complications from this ON TOP of whatever else you might have. Or i could just be an idiot
Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
dirtdartwife
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGierald View Post
I didnt have this, but good luck sweetie!

This may not be relevant, but is this the first baby you've had since you quit smoking? Im asking because I remember you and I had similar reasoning in terms of smoking, and i dont remember when you quit.

Why im asking is since I quit at 5weeks pg, i had a HORRIBLE persistant cough that wouldnt go away. I had ONE cigarette a while back (like a week and a half ago) and the cough is gone, lol. Which just proved my point that my lungs were adjusting to not being filled with smoke. So maybe you're having complications from this ON TOP of whatever else you might have. Or i could just be an idiot
You're certainly not an idiot!

But no.. I quit smoking over five years ago and this would be my third pregnancy since I've quit. (wow, it's been that long! ) I'm pretty sure this is something I either got from my friend or from the clinic visit. I just don't want to start surfing the net and getting weirded out, but that pleurisy sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with.

Good luck with your road to being an ex-smoker. Is it getting a tad easier as time goes on for you?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #6
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

honestly? it got easier when i broke down and had a marlboro ultra light a while ago, lol. Keep in mind, i smoked newport full flavors for about 5 years so an ultra light with no menthol is like nothing for me, lol.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
dirtdartwife
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
honestly? it got easier when i broke down and had a marlboro ultra light a while ago, lol. Keep in mind, i smoked newport full flavors for about 5 years so an ultra light with no menthol is like nothing for me, lol.
Oh man, I remember trying to smoke those when I was trying to quit. I'd end up smoking about 5 of those just to feel like I had something, kwim? I smoked Marlboro reds for the longest time, then Winstons, then Marlboro lights till I quit. I even tried to quit when I was in Germany and their version of the ultra lights... nyeh, might as well get yourself a brown paper bag, roll it up and smoke it. Talk about HARSH. But I can imagine the Newports are hard to quit... those suckers are quite strong.

Keep it up mama! It's RRRUUUUFFFF, but after the first few months, it really does get easier.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks sweetness That one cigarette i had really quelled my cravings, im good now, but i was going INSANE before that, lol.

How are you feeling today??? I was worried about ya!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
dirtdartwife
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
thanks sweetness That one cigarette i had really quelled my cravings, im good now, but i was going INSANE before that, lol.

How are you feeling today??? I was worried about ya!
I know how that is with the "just have one" and for some reason, it really does help to push that craving away. I remember having a severe craving and my MIL goes "Here, just take a puff and you'll stop acting like a dork staring and drooling at my cigarette." So I did and yep... it made everything go away.

I updated in the first post. Bronchitis... blech. At least it's not something that'll land me in the hospital. (I hope). Just gotta take the meds they gave me. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pneumonia and pregnancy?-UPDATE

awww im sorry its brochitis, but at least its not something worse!!!!

*hugs* mama and Im glad things are better!! Are you at least feeling a little better?