Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 AM   #11
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is she eating or pacifying herself

if you have a chance google Dr. JAck Newman and breastfeeding
his webpage is very good and has videos and everything. Nipple confusion is a popular term but somewhat silly when it comes to pacifers (not trying to be rude) the problem people face with a bottle and breast is that babies often times will prefer the bottle becuase they get more milk faster with less effort than the breast. SO they aren't confused, they are smart .... less work and more reward. However a pacifer isn't going to give her any milk so ....
If she is drinking she probably does want the milk. Alot of times babies do want to suck a lot as well. I had a sucker... at 7 months--he can put other things in his mouth at will and suck/ chew when he wants so he doesn't want to eat half as often as he did. Luckily I had a husband that was very supportive and had time to be at home. He would help by taking the baby so that we could stretch feedings into not less than an hour between them so that my nipples could rest so that I could keep feeding him. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting your baby use you as a pacifer if you don't mind nad your nipples can take it, but its more important that you can feed them than pacifing them with your body in that way. We found our baby took a finger reasonbly well and actually liked a pacifer alright but would thrust it out with his tongue if no one was holding it in for him (but then he would cry) It was his body's natural defense to foriegn objects in the mouth.
I really think that Dr. JAck is a great place to start. He is an expert in the field and works for a crediable hospital in Toronto Ca. HE also has other reasons your nipples might be sore, even with a good latch ..... which helped me a bunch

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #12
ercvt
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by negrapy
if you have a chance google Dr. JAck Newman and breastfeeding
his webpage is very good and has videos and everything. Nipple confusion is a popular term but somewhat silly when it comes to pacifers (not trying to be rude) the problem people face with a bottle and breast is that babies often times will prefer the bottle becuase they get more milk faster with less effort than the breast. SO they aren't confused, they are smart .... less work and more reward. However a pacifer isn't going to give her any milk so ....
If she is drinking she probably does want the milk. Alot of times babies do want to suck a lot as well. I had a sucker... at 7 months--he can put other things in his mouth at will and suck/ chew when he wants so he doesn't want to eat half as often as he did. Luckily I had a husband that was very supportive and had time to be at home. He would help by taking the baby so that we could stretch feedings into not less than an hour between them so that my nipples could rest so that I could keep feeding him. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting your baby use you as a pacifer if you don't mind nad your nipples can take it, but its more important that you can feed them than pacifing them with your body in that way. We found our baby took a finger reasonbly well and actually liked a pacifer alright but would thrust it out with his tongue if no one was holding it in for him (but then he would cry) It was his body's natural defense to foriegn objects in the mouth.
I really think that Dr. JAck is a great place to start. He is an expert in the field and works for a crediable hospital in Toronto Ca. HE also has other reasons your nipples might be sore, even with a good latch ..... which helped me a bunch
I agree- usually I call it nipple preference! LOL Bella knows which is easier!!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #13
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:
Smile Re: Is she eating or pacifying herself

Try the Gerber Gentle Flex pacifiers. I tried every pacifier on the market before this one and he loves this one. It imitates the breast. This link can give you more info. I know it saved me! Good Luck!

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...cmp=&stage=all
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #14
mamamac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I went to the LC yesterday and she agreed that my boobs and nipple are just WAY TOO BIG for her mouth therefore her latch sucks! She showed me some different ways to improve it. So now I pinch, hold, and point with one hand, using one of those fingers to help open her mouth, and use the other hand to hold her head, use a boppy to support the rest of the body, clench my teeth, put her on, take a few deep breaths, and finally she goes to town with almost no pain at all! Hopefully by next week the soreness will be gone, swelling will go down, and I can nurse without being too tied down.

Now if I can just get her to stop cluster feeding to let my nipples heal. She does great during the day, she goes about 3 hours between feedings, but at 8:30pm someone opens the hole in her belly and says "FEED ME!" She will feed almost continuously for 3-4 hours. No wonder my boobs hurt like heck in the morning.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well at least now you know! The good news is they grow so fast, hopefully it won't be a problem for long. DJ was a preemie and had a tiny mouth and I have large nipples too. I finally gave up on getting him to latch at all and just pumped exclusively for him. I was able to pump more than enough so for me it made more sense to focus on what I could do than to keep stressing out about trying to get him to nurse. I had resigned myself to pumping forever but when he was about 6 weeks old, he surprised me and latched on one night and never looked back. He nursed till he was about 19 months. Hang in there, it will get better and soon this will be a distant memory.

In the meantime, lanolin ointment is kind of gross but it really does help, as does letting your nipples air out as much as possible. DH would laugh at me because he'd come home from work during the day and I'd be sitting there topless with a towel under my boobs to catch the frequent leaks! Also, when DJ did start nursing and I was sore, my LC gave me a few packs of these: http://www.hollister.com/us/products/product_series.asp?id=6&family=72&series=755 which were great. They're these silicone gel things that you keep in the refrigerator to get them nice and cool and then put them in your bra between feedings...very soothing for sore nipples and not nearly as messy as lanolin. I've been told that you can get something similar at the store (maybe by Gerber? Soothies?) but I've never found them.

Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote