Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
pfamilygal6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bean is here! And it's a.... (lots of pics!)

BOY!

So, here are the details. As you may know, my BP was elevated when I went in to the doctor on Friday and I had a headache. We discussed our options with the doctor and midwife. They felt that I could probably have my VBAC if we could hold off for another 1.5-2 wks, but that labor was not impending. We discussed options for induction and the only thing my doctor felt comfortable trying was breaking my water to see if labor would start. But my cevix wasn't even dilated enough for that. So, we were given the option of waiting through the weekend and doing the c/s on Monday (while being on bedrest over the weekend) or going ahead with the c/s. They both felt, however, that the end result would be a c/s and that there was a decent chance that my pressure would go up more over the weekend and I'd end up having the c/s then anyway. We were given time to pray and talk it over.

We decided to go ahead with the c/s that afternoon. We were sent over to the hospital and checked in.

At about 2:15 they walked us into the OR and started my epidural/spinal (which I highly recommend - it meant I was numb for 4-6 hours instead of just 1-2). It was really the best c/s I could have hoped for. Everyone was joking around and talking to us. My midwife stayed with us. She had no clinical tasks other than just supporting us. She videotaped the whole thing, including the actual delivery. When the doctor pulled the baby out and lifted him up Philip announced that it was a boy. The doctor cleaned him off and brought him up to the head of the bed for me to see. Then they had to take him over to the warmer for a couple of minutes because he was retracting. Once they suctioned him and gave him a bit of oxygen he was fine. They wrapped him up and Philip brought him up and sat by me while they finished suturing me up. My hands were free (they were tied down with my earlier c/s's) and I could stroke his face and hair. He was 6 lb 10 oz and 19 inches long. We decided his name was Gabriel, but still hadn't nailed down a middle name.

Turns out the c/s was a very good idea. The doctor found that the old c/s scar was beginning to separate and probably would have completely ruptured had we gone into labor. Praise God for keeping me from laboring! We were told that we need to wait at least 18 months, preferably 2 yrs, before conceiving again in order to allow the uterus to heal well. We think that is a good idea and will give me time to figure out the endocrine and renal issues as well.

When they finished sewing me up they took me to the recovery room. I nursed Gabriel for about 40 minutes. Then we just snuggled for another hour or so before they took me up to my postpartum room. I was still totally numb and painfree until about 6 pm. At that point my epidural started wearing off and I called the nurse. The next few hours were hell. Turns out there was some miscommunication on writing my orders. The doctor only had orders for oral pain meds and I wasn't eating or drinking yet at this poing. I was very nauseated. It took them over 2 hrs to get me some IV pain meds. I spent the whole time crying, which made the pain worse because it jiggled my tummy. We had some trouble that night getting the dosing right on my meds, but by morning it was all worked out.

I did have to stay one extra night because I was having some problems with vomiting and my bowels sounds were sluggish. But it all worked out in the end (pun intended) and we came home at noon on Tuesday.

Gabe is a sweet baby. Sleeps beautifully and nurses like a champ. He looks a lot like Nate did as a newborn. The other kids adore him. Though Anna says that since we didn't have a baby sister we have to buy her a cat instead.

If you want graphic photos of the actual c/s, you can see it here:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...beBirth070.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...beBirth071.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...beBirth072.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...beBirth075.jpg

Advertisement

pfamilygal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bean is here! And it's a.... (lots of pics!)

oh! CONGRATS!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Welcome to the world baby boy!! Great pics mama...congrats!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations mama! He is handsome!!
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:

awww congrats mama!

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

congrats, he's gorgeous!
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

God is so good! Gabe is beautiful!

TY for adding the section pics. I've had 3 but my hospital doesn't allow pics of the actual section, so I've never seen one.

LOL-when are you going kitty shopping?

congrats and blessings, mama!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
kugrinic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a beautiful baby boy! Congrats Mama and I am glad your feeling ok
Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

He is just so beautiful mama. Like a sleeping angel! Congratulations and enjoy your babymoon.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
mamatutugirls
Registered Users
seller

congratulations! Thanks for sharing your pics!!!